Video Blogging Rights In Aiports / Airplanes

  • Zennie62
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
      Say folks,

      If I'm making a video blog for television and I use the camcorder on a plane in such a way that there's no airline logo or markings, do I still have to get clearance?

      What about for an airport?

      Thanks,

    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
        a clearance is at best a legal courtesy but certainly in Australia probably
        is not legally more than that.

        airports, planes are special places in that depending on which one they are
        federal facilities, and I think, but aren't sure, a plane would be subject
        to the laws of the airline's country when in international air, or possibly
        air equivalent of laws of the sea. But in the current day and age don't be
        surprised that doing anything on a plane is illegal, and if you look
        anything except WASP, well, I wouldn't expect a lot of leeway.

        On 11 October 2011 14:15, Zennie62 <zennie@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Say folks,
        >
        > If I'm making a video blog for television and I use the camcorder on a
        > plane in such a way that there's no airline logo or markings, do I still
        > have to get clearance?
        >
        > What about for an airport?
        >
        > Thanks,

        an appropriate closing
        Adrian Miles
        about.me/vogmae

      • Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
          oh, and there would be the issue of who you actually filmed while on the
          flight...

          On 11 October 2011 14:15, Zennie62 <zennie@...> wrote:

          > If I'm making a video blog for television and I use the camcorder on a
          > plane in such a way that there's no airline logo or markings, do I still
          > have to get clearance?

          an appropriate closing
          Adrian Miles
          about.me/vogmae

        • Matthew Alan
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
            You have two primary conflicts in your use.  One you indicate "video blog" and then say "television:  I do both.  If you are making a pilot you have no concern for clearances, no one cares.  Network exces just want to see the idea.  However, if you are planning on turning what you are doing into a TV show you have a whole other problem.  In the industry there is something called chain of title.  This means that you legally own every single frame of footage or have the proper right assigned to you.  If you appraoch a network with a world of tarvel footage wth no clear chain of title, no permits, you are screwed, they will run away screaming, legal nightmare.  For the purposes of a video bold I have filmed in airports and on planes.

            If yo uhave any questions about what you are working on, making it so you have a viable project get ahold of me.

            I just posted footage I shot fo three desert tornados swirling arounf a house in north new mexico a couple fo months ago, set to an original conposition:  http://www.break.com/web-user-yt/10-10-2011/three-desert-dust-devils-dancing-around-w-original-composition-h-2181574

            ________________________________
            a clearance is at best a legal courtesy but certainly in Australia probably
            is not legally more than that.

            airports, planes are special places in that depending on which one they are
            federal facilities, and I think, but aren't sure, a plane would be subject
            to the laws of the airline's country when in international air, or possibly
            air equivalent of laws of the sea. But in the current day and age don't be
            surprised that doing anything on a plane is illegal, and if you look
            anything except WASP, well, I wouldn't expect a lot of leeway.

            On 11 October 2011 14:15, Zennie62 <zennie@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Say folks,
            >
            > If I'm making a video blog for television and I use the camcorder on a
            > plane in such a way that there's no airline logo or markings, do I still
            > have to get clearance?
            >
            > What about for an airport?
            >
            > Thanks,

            an appropriate closing
            Adrian Miles
            about.me/vogmae

          • Zennie62
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
              Hi

              Thanks. What I have are videos of my facing taking up about 60 percent of the frame, so it's me talking while I walk through the airport. There's no airline logo in view. And I have the backs of people to me or walking by so fast you can't focus on their face, and are to the extreme sides of me.

              Zennie

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Alan <waywardtravelerdiaries@...> wrote:

              > You have two primary conflicts in your use.� One you indicate "video blog" and then say "television:� I do both.� If you are making a pilot you have no concern for clearances, no one cares.� Network exces just want to see the idea.� However, if you are planning on turning what you are doing into a TV show you have a whole other problem.� In the industry there is something called chain of title.� This means that you legally own every single frame of footage or have the proper right assigned to you.� If you appraoch a network with a world of tarvel footage wth no clear chain of title, no permits, you are screwed, they will run away screaming, legal nightmare.� For the purposes of a video bold I have filmed in airports and on planes.�
              > �
              > If yo uhave any questions about what you are working on, making it so you have a viable project get ahold of me.
              > �
              > I just posted footage I shot fo three desert tornados swirling arounf a house in north new mexico a couple fo months ago, set to an original conposition:� http://www.break.com/web-user-yt/10-10-2011/three-desert-dust-devils-dancing-around-w-original-composition-h-2181574
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Matthew Alan
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
                Just for your own sake if you get stopped by secirity, tell them, "school project" if you get caught filming.  Have the name of a school ready and some details.

                So that being said, about 8 months ago I was gate hopping events getting celbrity interviews.  I have used all of them in my video blogs and no one has ever said anything.  Wondercon hates my guts but they have not sued me for hoping the gate and getting Sergio Aragones to leave the premisise with me.

                I have 2 terabytes of non-permitted footage.

                As far as people go, be respectful of children, do not film them for any reason whatsoever no matter how cute they are, it's a form of exploitation, kids are cute they get views.

                The other option you have if you are indeed doing a television show is to just edit it together and send out request letters for post shoot approval

                I know I am saying two different things.  But sometimes yo have to just ask for forgivnesslater than ask for permission first.

                I will say one thing, if you are doing a travel show yo ubetter step it up, I've driven 200,000 miles, 600 cites in the last two years, and I am still trying to get my own show.  It really takes a lot, and the scrifice is endless, but fi you manage to do it, do it well, and do it with passion.  A year ago I had never edited a piece of footage of held a camera in my life.  Next thing you know...

                Matt

                ________________________________
                Thanks. What I have are videos of my facing taking up about 60 percent of the frame, so it's me talking while I walk through the airport. There's no airline logo in view. And I have the backs of people to me or walking by so fast you can't focus on their face, and are to the extreme sides of me.

                Zennie

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Alan <waywardtravelerdiaries@...> wrote:

                > You have two primary conflicts in your use.� One you indicate "video blog" and then say "television:� I do both.� If you are making a pilot you have no concern for clearances, no one cares.� Network exces just want to see the idea.� However, if you are planning on turning what you are doing into a TV show you have a whole other problem.� In the industry there is something called chain of title.� This means that you legally own every single frame of footage or have the proper right assigned to you.� If you appraoch a network with a world of tarvel footage wth no clear chain of title, no permits, you are screwed, they will run away screaming, legal nightmare.� For the purposes of a video bold I have filmed in airports and on planes.�
                > �
                > If yo uhave any questions about what you are working on, making it so you have a viable project get ahold of me.
                > �
                > I just posted footage I shot fo three desert tornados swirling arounf a house in north new mexico a couple fo months ago, set to an original conposition:� http://www.break.com/web-user-yt/10-10-2011/three-desert-dust-devils-dancing-around-w-original-composition-h-2181574
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Zennie62
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 13, 2011
                  Hi Matt,

                  Interesting Wondercon info. If you have celebrity interviews, press pass from WonderCon or no, you're allowed to use and post them under your fair use legal rights of news commentary, and under the California Blogger's Shield law.

                  Besides, I think WonderCon would love the association with your video content.

                • Matthew Alan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 14, 2011
                    Another story:

                    It was the VP of Wondercon that doesn't like me.  He was on TV the other day, in an interview and I went back and watched my footage of him being a prick.  Wondercon, Comicon can kiss my ass.  I've thtought about extending an olive brach but they way they treated us was awful.  They let us in one night so we go the Ball with Press access but then the next day the VP wouldn't let us in.

                    This is one of those things where I am going to wait patiently until I am in a position ofleverage, when I have some project they want on their floor and then bring it up.

                    Are yo uin San Fran?