Re: [videoblogging] First Video Up

  • Matthew Alan
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
      Evem my Panasonic HVX 200 is grainy in low light.  That is an issue with DV cameras.  The problem with the "Best Buy" cameras is they don't offer a manual iris, black/white balance control.  The with your camera is lighting.  When I first started video blogging I used to have four or five lights set up around me.  You should look up some basic lighting tips.  There is also a book called "Grammar of the Shot" which is pretty good.

      I think if you resolved your lighting issue then you might not need to worry about wind?  However, you should also look up "ADR" as well.  I had a shot in San Francisco near the Golden Gate Bridge - super windy - in which I had to speak.  The wind was so bad I ended up trashing the original audio track, re-doing the voice, and pasting in the sound of wind on a microphone to keep the feel of the piece going.

      I know this is video blogging, but video blogging is really micro filmmaking and learning some of the basics of making and editing a film together can help you make a huge improvement on your finished product...

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
        My goodness JVC didn't make it easy for me to find the official manual. Found it by going around the back door.
        http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/34/LYT2115-001B-M.pdf

        Detailed guide:
        http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/c0s3/lyt2116-003en/index.html

        Ok, let's see what we have going on:

        Standard def camcorder - fine for YouTube uploads
        16:9 aspect ratio, yes you can do that to have video appear widescreen
        You do have gain control to boost low light but shooting outside is groovy.

        Wind Cut filter, yes you have one installed on the camcorder

        1. Select Video Mode
        2. Menu
        3. Look for menu item Wind Cut
        4. Select Wind Cut and touch Ok

        Bada bing, you solve the wind cut problem.

        So yes, go forth and make wind cut videos.

        Just one teeny request. For your 11th video could you make one for science challenged people on why a free energy machine is possible?

        Or a demonstration of a working model? Paper prototype?

        What you are talking about is very important. I might not be the target market. But if I am then I am going to need a ramp up on the concepts you are talking about.

        If not, never mind.

        The important thing is to keep making videos

        Gena

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
          Though adding gain adds more noise to the picture, if you are using the right lighting you wont need the gain setting.

          ________________________________
          My goodness JVC didn't make it easy for me to find the official manual. Found it by going around the back door.
          http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/34/LYT2115-001B-M.pdf

          Detailed guide:
          http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/c0s3/lyt2116-003en/index.html

          Ok, let's see what we have going on:

          Standard def camcorder - fine for YouTube uploads
          16:9 aspect ratio, yes you can do that to have video appear widescreen
          You do have gain control to boost low light but shooting outside is groovy.

          Wind Cut filter, yes you have one installed on the camcorder

          1. Select Video Mode
          2. Menu
          3. Look for menu item Wind Cut
          4. Select Wind Cut and touch Ok

          Bada bing, you solve the wind cut problem.

          So yes, go forth and make wind cut videos.

          Just one teeny request. For your 11th video could you make one for science challenged people on why a free energy machine is possible?

          Or a demonstration of a working model? Paper prototype?

          What you are talking about is very important. I might not be the target market. But if I am then I am going to need a ramp up on the concepts you are talking about.

          If not, never mind.

          The important thing is to keep making videos

          Gena
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Kirk McLoren <kirkmcloren@...> wrote:

          >  It is a JVC Everio (GZ-MS230AUS) It claims super lolux but picture is grainy under room lighting which is why I set up outdoors.
          > It seems everyone wants the smallest camera but I would be happier with something that gave me access to controls. I would like the
          > ability to do a slow zoom with a lens not by pixelating the center of the CCD. A cable to a notebook so the camera could be on a tripod and the notebook screen could be the viewfinder would be nice. Looks likethis could get expensive as they seem to charge whatever the traffic will bear.
          > I paid $130 for my refurb Everio. The normal price seems inflated to me.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Kirk McLoren
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
            thanks - will have to play with that
            the microphone is on the back of the viewfinder
            wind cut lowers microphone gain.
            I suppose the other solution would be to eat less beans ;-)

            third video will show you some hardware
            we all need it

            all the best
            Kirk