  • Kirk McLoren
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2011
      got my first video up a few days ago
      Learning about wind and microphones
       wish the software was more intuitive

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA6LG7jtEG4

    • compumavengal
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
        Hi Kirk. Congratulations on the first video.

        I don't know the model of the camcorder that you have but many of them have a menu item about turning on the Wind Screen so that it is engaged during recording.

        If you don't have that function check to see if your camcorder has an external mic jack. You can buy an inexpensive lav mic and have it attached to you shirt.

        There are free software solutions like using Audacity to pluck out the wind sound but it will be a pain. It is far easier to keep the wind from being recorded.

        Gena
        http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
           It is a JVC Everio (GZ-MS230AUS) It claims super lolux but picture is grainy under room lighting which is why I set up outdoors.
          It seems everyone wants the smallest camera but I would be happier with something that gave me access to controls. I would like the
          ability to do a slow zoom with a lens not by pixelating the center of the CCD. A cable to a notebook so the camera could be on a tripod and the notebook screen could be the viewfinder would be nice. Looks likethis could get expensive as they seem to charge whatever the traffic will bear.
          I paid $130 for my refurb Everio. The normal price seems inflated to me.

          ________________________________
          Hi Kirk. Congratulations on the first video.

          I don't know the model of the camcorder that you have but many of them have a menu item about turning on the Wind Screen so that it is engaged during recording.

          If you don't have that function check to see if your camcorder has an external mic jack. You can buy an inexpensive lav mic and have it attached to you shirt.

          There are free software solutions like using Audacity to pluck out the wind sound but it will be a pain. It is far easier to keep the wind from being recorded.

          Gena
          http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Kirk McLoren <kirkmcloren@...> wrote:

          > got my first video up a few days ago
          > Learning about wind and microphones
          >  wish the software was more intuitive
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA6LG7jtEG4

        • Matthew Alan
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
            Evem my Panasonic HVX 200 is grainy in low light.  That is an issue with DV cameras.  The problem with the "Best Buy" cameras is they don't offer a manual iris, black/white balance control.  The with your camera is lighting.  When I first started video blogging I used to have four or five lights set up around me.  You should look up some basic lighting tips.  There is also a book called "Grammar of the Shot" which is pretty good.

            I think if you resolved your lighting issue then you might not need to worry about wind?  However, you should also look up "ADR" as well.  I had a shot in San Francisco near the Golden Gate Bridge - super windy - in which I had to speak.  The wind was so bad I ended up trashing the original audio track, re-doing the voice, and pasting in the sound of wind on a microphone to keep the feel of the piece going.

            I know this is video blogging, but video blogging is really micro filmmaking and learning some of the basics of making and editing a film together can help you make a huge improvement on your finished product...

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
              My goodness JVC didn't make it easy for me to find the official manual. Found it by going around the back door.
              http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/34/LYT2115-001B-M.pdf

              Detailed guide:
              http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/c0s3/lyt2116-003en/index.html

              Ok, let's see what we have going on:

              Standard def camcorder - fine for YouTube uploads
              16:9 aspect ratio, yes you can do that to have video appear widescreen
              You do have gain control to boost low light but shooting outside is groovy.

              Wind Cut filter, yes you have one installed on the camcorder

              1. Select Video Mode
              2. Menu
              3. Look for menu item Wind Cut
              4. Select Wind Cut and touch Ok

              Bada bing, you solve the wind cut problem.

              So yes, go forth and make wind cut videos.

              Just one teeny request. For your 11th video could you make one for science challenged people on why a free energy machine is possible?

              Or a demonstration of a working model? Paper prototype?

              What you are talking about is very important. I might not be the target market. But if I am then I am going to need a ramp up on the concepts you are talking about.

              If not, never mind.

              The important thing is to keep making videos

              Gena

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
                Though adding gain adds more noise to the picture, if you are using the right lighting you wont need the gain setting.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
                  thanks - will have to play with that
                  the microphone is on the back of the viewfinder
                  wind cut lowers microphone gain.
                  I suppose the other solution would be to eat less beans ;-)

                  third video will show you some hardware
                  we all need it

                  all the best
                  Kirk