Re: [videoblogging] Re: beginner

  • Kirk McLoren
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
      thankyou
      Kirk

      May you be in heaven a half hour before the Devil knows your dead.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2011
        We have few FCP X tutorials on http://www.webvideochefs.com

        Let me know if you need any help or have questions!

        Amani Channel
        http://www.youtube.com/webvideochefs

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:

        > I got a copy and am trying it. I have to say, it's really cool, very fast,
        > no rendering really. But also, it's a HUGE UI change and I'm sure
        > professional Final Cut users are effected in huge ways.
        >
        > --
        > Caleb Clark
        > Educational technology program director
        > Marlboro College Graduate School, Brattleboro, Vermont, USA.
        > http://gradschool.marlboro.edu/academics/edtech
        > calebclark.org <http://plocktau.com>
        > "The problem with communication is the assumption it has been accomplished."
        > * - G. B. Shaw.*

      • Brook Hinton
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 9, 2011
          I'm in the other camp. Gone back to Avid and Premiere after a decade of
          being primarily FCP-based.

          The FCPX interface is pretty nifty and fast for some types of short work -
          I would not want to do long form work on it - but it just doesn't do much
          of what I need, and going to Avid & Premiere is less of a shift from FCP7
          than going from FCP7 to FCPX. I'm also influenced by being a teacher in a
          film program, where we have to teach industry standards - FCPX's may someday
          become that, but the whole idea of it is based on throwing OUT many of those
          standards. (We've switched, for now, to Premiere at the school, which was
          firmly an FCP and its accompanying programs - based program for post).
          Since I was on one of the internal editorial teams for the first FCP release
          and have used it and even evangelized for it ever since, it's all been a bit
          painful.

          Premiere sure has come a long way since I last used it. Other than some
          missing / unassignable keyboard shortcuts (I try to edit mouse-free for the
          sake of my hands as well as speed) and a lackluster equivalent to the very
          nice database-style FCP7 Browser, it's basically what FCP8 might have been,
          plus a few of the nice features of FCPX as a bonus (e.g. Metadata support).
          Dynamic linking makes After Effects basically a giant plugin for Premiere
          as well. Native file support seems a little better than FCPX too.

          I think it's more expensive than FCPX once you leave academic land though.
          Avid certainly is. (299 + four years of free upgrades vs. over $2000 and no
          free upgrades). Avid is still the quick cutting tool of choice for long-form
          work - and will now probably monopolize that field since FCP was its only
          real competition...

          ...except for....

          Lightworks.

          www.lightworksbeta.com

          Which IS used to cut many features and has gone open source. Windows only at
          the moment but the Mac and Linux betas are coming soon.

          But make no mistake, for fast editing of short work that is primarily linear
          and only needs a few tracks of video and audio (well, it doesn't use tracks,
          but that's another "storyline" <rimshot>), and assuming you don't finish
          audio in ProTools/Logic and aren't doing a broadcast or exhibition-quality
          color correction and mastering session, FCPX is pretty darned neat and will
          probably become the tool of choice. But it has nothing to do with anything
          else that has been called "Final Cut".

          Brook

          On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:15 PM, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > We have few FCP X tutorials on http://www.webvideochefs.com
          >
          > Let me know if you need any help or have questions!
          >
          > Amani Channel
          > http://www.youtube.com/webvideochefs
          >

          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I got a copy and am trying it. I have to say, it's really cool, very
          > fast,
          > > no rendering really. But also, it's a HUGE UI change and I'm sure
          > > professional Final Cut users are effected in huge ways.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Caleb Clark
          > > Educational technology program director
          > > Marlboro College Graduate School, Brattleboro, Vermont, USA.
          > > http://gradschool.marlboro.edu/academics/edtech
          > > calebclark.org <http://plocktau.com>
          > > "The problem with communication is the assumption it has been
          > accomplished."
          > > * - G. B. Shaw.*

          ____________________________
          Brook Hinton
          Moving Image and Sound Maker
          www.brookhinton.com

          Associate Professor / Assistant Chair
          Film Program at CCA
          California College of the Arts
          www.cca.edu/film

        • ruhowe
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 9, 2011
            The other thing to bear in mind is that FCP7 hasn't died despite being killed off. It still works, and will continue to for the immediate future. There'll be a point where things like new codecs and tapeless utilities will require updates to your system which will break FCP7 - but in the meantime, it continues to rule.

            I've been testing Premiere for a broadcast client this week, using it in place of all the things they do on FCP, so that they know if they can switch when FCP7 stops working.

            In lots of areas it doesn't quite match up to FCP7 for that environment at the moment, particularly with things like broadcast monitoring, multicam and grading - even some little things like the way it handles audio tracks and keyboard shortcuts - but for most users, it's fantastic. Particularly for videobloggers.

            It integrates really well with After Effects - and it comes free if you've already bought the Creative Suite for PS, AE, etc. Adobe are putting a lot of R&D into it at the moment, and I think that Premiere CS6 will bring more significant improvements next year.

            FCPX seems like it's built for people who do what we do here. You can chuck in clips from all kinds of cameras without transcoding them first, cut them up and send them straight to web very quickly. And, like with Premiere, the metadata tools will be increasingly useful in the next few years.

            But I've been using traditional timelines for so long that I still use iMovie 6 instead of the new iMovie interface when I want to quickly cut some videoblog clips.
            So it might take a while before I prefer FCPX to Premiere, FCP7 or even iMovie 6. I envy those who are coming to FCPX fresh, who don't have to rethink the way they edit.

            Rupert
            http://twittervlog.tv