HiDef camcorder-iMovie questions

  • J Joseph
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
      I'm going to buy the Canon Vixia HF M40 and will shoot a 30 hr workshop. I’ll be importing into a MacBook Pro using iMovie. End result is to make a DVD. I’ve talked with Canon tech support several times but I’m frustrated as I get different answers. My questions:

      1) What resolution should I shoot (MXP, FXP, XP+, SP) if end result is a standard DVD?
      2) Should I down-convert to standard def (using the down-convert feature, which I think you do on board before importing)?
      3) About how long will it take to download a full 32G SD card?
      4) How big a file will a 32G SD card create in iMovie on my MBP after downloading: A) recorded at MXP? B) recorded at the resolution you recommend?
      5) Should I download to my MPB and drag to an ext. hard drive or should I download directly to an ext. drive?
      6) Is there a maximum file size for a clip that should not be exceeded?

      I’m not a newb but it’s my first foray into hidef. Other advice is welcome. Thanks!

      Jim
      ihatetodance.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 23, 2011
        > I'm going to buy the Canon Vixia HF M40 and will shoot a 30 hr workshop. I’ll be importing into a MacBook Pro using iMovie. End result is to make a DVD. I’ve talked with Canon tech support several times but I’m frustrated as I get different answers. My questions:
        >
        > 1) What resolution should I shoot (MXP, FXP, XP+, SP) if end result is a standard DVD?

        You should shoot at the highest resolution. If you are editing, then
        you can decide in the editing program how to export it for DVD. So get
        the best quality when shooting. Its easy to downconvert.

        > 2) Should I down-convert to standard def (using the down-convert feature, which I think you do on board before importing)?

        If you're computer can handle editing HD, I'd edit HD. You only
        downconvert if your computer chokes on HD or you know you dont need HD
        quality in the final project.

        > 3) About how long will it take to download a full 32G SD card?

        Depends on the kind of processors you have. Just throw it in and get a
        cup of coffee.

        > 4) How big a file will a 32G SD card create in iMovie on my MBP after downloading: A) recorded at MXP? B) recorded at the resolution you recommend?

        Sorry, I dont know what MXP is. I dont use iMovie so I dont know how
        big 32GB HD file will expand into in iMovie.

        > 5) Should I download to my MPB and drag to an ext. hard drive or should I download directly to an ext. drive?

        Get an external hard drive. 1TB drives are extremely cheap these days
        and will provide all the room you need for personal projects.

        > 6) Is there a maximum file size for a clip that should not be exceeded?

        iMovie used to have a time length (10 minutes?) that would cause
        issues. I'm pretty sure that gone now. Others who use iMovie can chime
        in.

        If youre still needing specific answers for the Canon Vixia HF M40.
        maybe someone here might have one, If not, you could try a forum that
        specifically deals with camcorders.

      • markus sandy
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 23, 2011
          On Sep 22, 2011, at 12:30 PM, J Joseph wrote:

          > I'm going to buy the Canon Vixia HF M40 and will shoot a 30 hr
          > workshop. I���ll be importing into a MacBook Pro using iMovie. End
          > result is to make a DVD. I���ve talked with Canon tech support
          > several times but I���m frustrated as I get different answers. My
          > questions:

          Hey Jim! I can just picture you with that list of questions :)

          > 1) What resolution should I shoot (MXP, FXP, XP+, SP) if end result
          > is a standard DVD?

          I agree with Jay, capture the best you can.

          From a cannon spec on an M40 (NOTE: these are for 16GB, the M41 has
          32GB)

          16GB internal flash drive. Recording time based on internal flash
          memory only. Greater capacity is possible when 2x SDXC memory cards
          are used.
          LP (5Mbps) 6 hours 5 minutes
          SP (7Mbps) 4 hours 45 minutes
          XP+ (12Mbps) 2 hours 50 minutes
          FXP (17Mbps) 2 hours 5 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
          MXP (24Mbps) 1 hour 25 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording

          > 2) Should I down-convert to standard def (using the down-convert
          > feature, which I think you do on board before importing)?

          what jay said
          > 3) About how long will it take to download a full 32G SD card?

          there are many factors, but assuming a USB2.0 connection, then top
          transfer rate is about 60 megabytes/second.

          32GB = 32 * 1024 MB and so 32 * 1024 / 60 is about 546 seconds or
          about 9 minutes, which is about perfect amount of time for one of your
          great cups of coffee :)
          > 4) How big a file will a 32G SD card create in iMovie on my MBP
          > after downloading: A) recorded at MXP? B) recorded at the resolution
          > you recommend?

          I don't know, but my guess is: HUGE!

          > 5) Should I download to my MPB and drag to an ext. hard drive or
          > should I download directly to an ext. drive?

          direct to external is probably best unless you have a lot of usb
          devices bogging things down
          > 6) Is there a maximum file size for a clip that should not be
          > exceeded?

          FWIW, i think most DVD's these days are 4.7 or 8.5 GB. I think you are
          going to need about a dozen of the larger ones if you want to hold 30
          hours.

          best regards!
          markus

        • Michael Rosenblum
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 23, 2011
            I would suggest you take a look at www.nyvs.com, which I believe can
            answer all your current questions and any future ones.
            On Sep 23, 2011, at 11:11 AM, markus sandy wrote:

            > On Sep 22, 2011, at 12:30 PM, J Joseph wrote:
            >
            >> I'm going to buy the Canon Vixia HF M40 and will shoot a 30 hr
            >> workshop. I�ll be importing into a MacBook Pro using iMovie. End
            >> result is to make a DVD. I�ve talked with Canon tech support
            >> several times but I�m frustrated as I get different answers. My
            >> questions:
            >>

            > Hey Jim! I can just picture you with that list of questions :)
            >>
            >> 1) What resolution should I shoot (MXP, FXP, XP+, SP) if end result
            >> is a standard DVD?
            >>
            > I agree with Jay, capture the best you can.
            >
            > From a cannon spec on an M40 (NOTE: these are for 16GB, the M41 has
            > 32GB)
            >
            > 16GB internal flash drive. Recording time based on internal flash
            > memory only. Greater capacity is possible when 2x SDXC memory cards
            > are used.
            > LP (5Mbps) 6 hours 5 minutes
            > SP (7Mbps) 4 hours 45 minutes
            > XP+ (12Mbps) 2 hours 50 minutes
            > FXP (17Mbps) 2 hours 5 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
            > MXP (24Mbps) 1 hour 25 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
            >
            >> 2) Should I down-convert to standard def (using the down-convert
            >> feature, which I think you do on board before importing)?
            >>
            > what jay said
            >> 3) About how long will it take to download a full 32G SD card?
            >>
            > there are many factors, but assuming a USB2.0 connection, then top
            > transfer rate is about 60 megabytes/second.
            >
            > 32GB = 32 * 1024 MB and so 32 * 1024 / 60 is about 546 seconds or
            > about 9 minutes, which is about perfect amount of time for one of your
            > great cups of coffee :)
            >> 4) How big a file will a 32G SD card create in iMovie on my MBP
            >> after downloading: A) recorded at MXP? B) recorded at the resolution
            >> you recommend?
            >>

            > I don't know, but my guess is: HUGE!
            >
            >> 5) Should I download to my MPB and drag to an ext. hard drive or
            >> should I download directly to an ext. drive?
            >>
            > direct to external is probably best unless you have a lot of usb
            > devices bogging things down
            >> 6) Is there a maximum file size for a clip that should not be
            >> exceeded?
            >>
            > FWIW, i think most DVD's these days are 4.7 or 8.5 GB. I think you are
            > going to need about a dozen of the larger ones if you want to hold 30
            > hours.
            >
            > best regards!
            > markus

            Michael Rosenblum
            President & CEO

            RosenblumTV

            Michael@...

            Office: +1-212-888-1101
            Office: +1-212-888-1102
            Fax : +1-212-262-2480
            Museum Tower
            15 West 53rd St
            New York, NY 10019

          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 23, 2011
              From: "markus sandy"

              On Sep 22, 2011, at 12:30 PM, J Joseph wrote:

              > I'm going to buy the Canon Vixia HF M40 and will shoot a 30 hr
              > workshop. Iâ?Tll be importing into a MacBook Pro using iMovie. End
              > result is to make a DVD. Iâ?Tve talked with Canon tech support
              > several times but Iâ?Tm frustrated as I get different answers. My
              > questions:

              Hey Jim! I can just picture you with that list of questions :)

              > 1) What resolution should I shoot (MXP, FXP, XP+, SP) if end result
              > is a standard DVD?

              I agree with Jay, capture the best you can.

              =============
              Not necessarily a good idea. Depends if your computer can handle the extra
              work of HD editing .. not all can.
              =============

              (snip)
              LP (5Mbps) 6 hours 5 minutes
              SP (7Mbps) 4 hours 45 minutes
              XP+ (12Mbps) 2 hours 50 minutes
              FXP (17Mbps) 2 hours 5 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
              MXP (24Mbps) 1 hour 25 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording

              ==============
              BUT, and it is a BIG but, are those times *continous* ??? Can you record an
              hour presentation without having the camera break up the file every 4 gig
              (or so)??
              ==============

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org
            • J Joseph
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 23, 2011
                Thanks, Jay, for giving me more serious answers than Markus ;)

                Markus, settle down ;)

                Thinking out loud: Shooting at the highest resolution (MXP - 24 Mbps), a 32G card holds about 3 hrs. I've been told that a 32G file after downloading to iMovie could be as big as 120G. If that's accurate and I'm shooting 30 hrs, it looks like I need 1.2TB of storage. If I want a master copy and a backup, I need two drives of at least 1.2TB. I'm just trying to figure out how much storage to get.

                Is it risky to drag a TB of files from one ext. drive to another ext. drive? Or at what point should I consider a RAID storage solution (which I know nothing about)?

                Jay, Markus, Michael and Richard, thanks for the help. Markus, the next time I see you, you get a long list of questions and a big cup of coffee :)

                Jim

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 23, 2011
                  > Is it risky to drag a TB of files from one ext. drive to another ext. drive? Or at what point should I consider a RAID storage solution >>>(which I know nothing about)?

                  WHat youre suggesting is a normal occurrence in video editing.
                  Transferring 1TB of video to another drive would just take time.
                  Probably overnight. But no technical issues. This is the life of a
                  video editor.

                  RAID storage is used more for duplication if the video is very
                  important so you protect yourself from hard drive failure. I have the
                  Drobo: http://goo.gl/FqAtA Fairly affordable.

                  Jay
                • J Joseph
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 24, 2011
                    Thanks, Jay, that's just what I needed to know.

                    Jim