Final Cut Pro X

  • Caleb Clark
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 22, 2011
      I got a copy and am trying it. I have to say, it's really cool, very fast,
      no rendering really. But also, it's a HUGE UI change and I'm sure
      professional Final Cut users are effected in huge ways.

      --
      Caleb Clark
      Educational technology program director

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 23, 2011
        On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:
        > I got a copy and am trying it. I have to say, it's really cool, very fast,
        > no rendering really. But also, it's a HUGE UI change and I'm sure
        > professional Final Cut users are effected in huge ways.

        Ive heard good things from friends about it. I havent heard from
        people who edit huge projects on FCP. That's where the rubber meets
        the road. How does it do when you really want to drill down on frames?

      • Kirk McLoren
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 23, 2011
          I purchased a JVC Everio as a refurb and shot my first video yesterday.
          The video file was about a Gig and a half.

          What do I do now to get it on you tube?
          Obviously it has to be shrunk.
          My puter runs Vista

          Thanks in advance
          Kirk

        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 23, 2011
            Not necessarily, the higher quality you upload the better it will look. If
            you have dsl that should take around 8 hrs so you could do it overnight.

            If you want to edit, your PC should have Windows Movie Maker installed,
            otherwise go here.
            http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=34

            On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Kirk McLoren <kirkmcloren@...> wrote:

            > I purchased a JVC Everio as a refurb and shot my first video yesterday.
            > The video file was about a Gig and a half.
            >
            > What do I do now to get it on you tube?
            > Obviously it has to be shrunk.
            > My puter runs Vista
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            > Kirk

            Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
            WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
          • compumavengal
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
              If the camcorder records in the .mts video you are not going to be able to edit in Windows Movie Maker. You will have to update to Windows Live Movie Maker which can be downloaded from the Microsoft web site.

              You can also go to the Windows Live Movie Maker Help site for more info:

              http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker-help-center

              Most of the current consumer video editing programs can open .mts video without problems. Corel, Serif MoviePlus X5, Adobe Premier Elements all should bring in videos recorded in AVCHD formats.

              If your JVC records in .mod/.tod then you can use MPEG Streamclip to convert it to .avi and then import into your video editing program.
              http://squared5.com

              Gena
              http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com
              http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Kirk McLoren <kirkmcloren@...> wrote:

              > I purchased a JVC Everio as a refurb and shot my first video yesterday.
              > The video file was about a Gig and a half.
              >
              > What do I do now to get it on you tube?
              > Obviously it has to be shrunk.
              > My puter runs Vista
              >
              > Thanks in advance
              > Kirk

            • Kirk McLoren
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
                yes - its a mod file
                much thanks
                -Kirk

                May you be in heaven a half hour before the Devil knows your dead.

                ________________________________
                If the camcorder records in the .mts video you are not going to be able to edit in Windows Movie Maker. You will have to update to Windows Live Movie Maker which can be downloaded from the Microsoft web site.

                You can also go to the Windows Live Movie Maker Help site for more info:

                http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker-help-center

                Most of the current consumer video editing programs can open .mts video without problems. Corel, Serif MoviePlus X5, Adobe Premier Elements all should bring in videos recorded in AVCHD formats.

                If your JVC records in .mod/.tod then you can use MPEG Streamclip to convert it to .avi and then import into your video editing program.
                http://squared5.com

                Gena
                http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com
                http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Kirk McLoren <kirkmcloren@...> wrote:

                > I purchased a JVC Everio as a refurb and shot my first video yesterday.
                > The video file was about a Gig and a half.
                >
                > What do I do now to get it on you tube?
                > Obviously it has to be shrunk.
                > My puter runs Vista
                >
                > Thanks in advance
                > Kirk

              • Kirk McLoren
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
                  I tried http://squared5.com and it said I dont have permission to be on the server

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
                    > I tried http://squared5.com and it said I dont have permission to be on the server

                    Not sure why their server is down. Here's another link to the PC
                    version of MPEG streamclip: http://mpeg-streamclip.en.softonic.com/
                    Its free software so should be available from multiple sites.

                    Jay
                  • Kirk McLoren
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
                      thankyou
                      Kirk

                      May you be in heaven a half hour before the Devil knows your dead.

                      ________________________________
                      Not sure why their server is down. Here's another link to the PC
                      version of MPEG streamclip: http://mpeg-streamclip.en.softonic.com/
                      Its free software so should be available from multiple sites.

                    • theurbanreporter
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 6, 2011
                        We have few FCP X tutorials on http://www.webvideochefs.com

                        Let me know if you need any help or have questions!

                        Amani Channel
                        http://www.youtube.com/webvideochefs

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:

                        > I got a copy and am trying it. I have to say, it's really cool, very fast,
                        > no rendering really. But also, it's a HUGE UI change and I'm sure
                        > professional Final Cut users are effected in huge ways.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Caleb Clark
                        > Educational technology program director
                        > Marlboro College Graduate School, Brattleboro, Vermont, USA.
                        > http://gradschool.marlboro.edu/academics/edtech
                        > calebclark.org <http://plocktau.com>
                        > "The problem with communication is the assumption it has been accomplished."
                        > * - G. B. Shaw.*

                      • Brook Hinton
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 9, 2011
                          I'm in the other camp. Gone back to Avid and Premiere after a decade of
                          being primarily FCP-based.

                          The FCPX interface is pretty nifty and fast for some types of short work -
                          I would not want to do long form work on it - but it just doesn't do much
                          of what I need, and going to Avid & Premiere is less of a shift from FCP7
                          than going from FCP7 to FCPX. I'm also influenced by being a teacher in a
                          film program, where we have to teach industry standards - FCPX's may someday
                          become that, but the whole idea of it is based on throwing OUT many of those
                          standards. (We've switched, for now, to Premiere at the school, which was
                          firmly an FCP and its accompanying programs - based program for post).
                          Since I was on one of the internal editorial teams for the first FCP release
                          and have used it and even evangelized for it ever since, it's all been a bit
                          painful.

                          Premiere sure has come a long way since I last used it. Other than some
                          missing / unassignable keyboard shortcuts (I try to edit mouse-free for the
                          sake of my hands as well as speed) and a lackluster equivalent to the very
                          nice database-style FCP7 Browser, it's basically what FCP8 might have been,
                          plus a few of the nice features of FCPX as a bonus (e.g. Metadata support).
                          Dynamic linking makes After Effects basically a giant plugin for Premiere
                          as well. Native file support seems a little better than FCPX too.

                          I think it's more expensive than FCPX once you leave academic land though.
                          Avid certainly is. (299 + four years of free upgrades vs. over $2000 and no
                          free upgrades). Avid is still the quick cutting tool of choice for long-form
                          work - and will now probably monopolize that field since FCP was its only
                          real competition...

                          ...except for....

                          Lightworks.

                          www.lightworksbeta.com

                          Which IS used to cut many features and has gone open source. Windows only at
                          the moment but the Mac and Linux betas are coming soon.

                          But make no mistake, for fast editing of short work that is primarily linear
                          and only needs a few tracks of video and audio (well, it doesn't use tracks,
                          but that's another "storyline" <rimshot>), and assuming you don't finish
                          audio in ProTools/Logic and aren't doing a broadcast or exhibition-quality
                          color correction and mastering session, FCPX is pretty darned neat and will
                          probably become the tool of choice. But it has nothing to do with anything
                          else that has been called "Final Cut".

                          Brook

                          On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:15 PM, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > We have few FCP X tutorials on http://www.webvideochefs.com
                          >
                          > Let me know if you need any help or have questions!
                          >
                          > Amani Channel
                          > http://www.youtube.com/webvideochefs
                          >

                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I got a copy and am trying it. I have to say, it's really cool, very
                          > fast,
                          > > no rendering really. But also, it's a HUGE UI change and I'm sure
                          > > professional Final Cut users are effected in huge ways.
                          > >
                          > > --
                          > > Caleb Clark
                          > > Educational technology program director
                          > > Marlboro College Graduate School, Brattleboro, Vermont, USA.
                          > > http://gradschool.marlboro.edu/academics/edtech
                          > > calebclark.org <http://plocktau.com>
                          > > "The problem with communication is the assumption it has been
                          > accomplished."
                          > > * - G. B. Shaw.*

                          ____________________________
                          Brook Hinton
                          Moving Image and Sound Maker
                          www.brookhinton.com

                          Associate Professor / Assistant Chair
                          Film Program at CCA
                          California College of the Arts
                          www.cca.edu/film

                        • ruhowe
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 9, 2011
                            The other thing to bear in mind is that FCP7 hasn't died despite being killed off. It still works, and will continue to for the immediate future. There'll be a point where things like new codecs and tapeless utilities will require updates to your system which will break FCP7 - but in the meantime, it continues to rule.

                            I've been testing Premiere for a broadcast client this week, using it in place of all the things they do on FCP, so that they know if they can switch when FCP7 stops working.

                            In lots of areas it doesn't quite match up to FCP7 for that environment at the moment, particularly with things like broadcast monitoring, multicam and grading - even some little things like the way it handles audio tracks and keyboard shortcuts - but for most users, it's fantastic. Particularly for videobloggers.

                            It integrates really well with After Effects - and it comes free if you've already bought the Creative Suite for PS, AE, etc. Adobe are putting a lot of R&D into it at the moment, and I think that Premiere CS6 will bring more significant improvements next year.

                            FCPX seems like it's built for people who do what we do here. You can chuck in clips from all kinds of cameras without transcoding them first, cut them up and send them straight to web very quickly. And, like with Premiere, the metadata tools will be increasingly useful in the next few years.

                            But I've been using traditional timelines for so long that I still use iMovie 6 instead of the new iMovie interface when I want to quickly cut some videoblog clips.
                            So it might take a while before I prefer FCPX to Premiere, FCP7 or even iMovie 6. I envy those who are coming to FCPX fresh, who don't have to rethink the way they edit.

                            Rupert
                            http://twittervlog.tv