Video Encoding for the Web With Matrox MXO2 Mini with MAX Option?

  • StanH
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 20, 2011
      I'm terribly frustrated with the time it takes for my MacBookPro core 2 duo to produce H.264 files for the web. I've been tempted to try the Elgato dongle to take some load off, but I wonder if the Matrox approach would be worth the $800 because it would produce real-time compression at better quality.

      Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? Or advice?

      I'm using FCP X (which, for my straight-cut editing I love!) and Compressor 4 and often Handbrake.

      I generate several versions of the same product: HD 720p and various Apple devices formats.

      Thanks,

      Stan

      Stan Hirson
      http://PinePlainsViews.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 20, 2011
        > I'm terribly frustrated with the time it takes for my MacBookPro core 2 duo to produce H.264 files for the web. I've been tempted to try the Elgato dongle to take some load off, but I wonder if the Matrox approach would be worth the $800 because it would produce >real-time compression at better quality.

        Ive never used those products so cant offer advice. But is the macbook
        you're using 3-4 years old? I know we had to upgrade because our older
        macbook took way too long producing compressed files from raw HD. I
        love to use things till they cant be used anymore....but I feel there
        was a big jump in the past couple years between processor power and
        the rise of HD.

      • StanH
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 20, 2011

          > Ive never used those products so cant offer advice. But is the macbook
          > you're using 3-4 years old? I know we had to upgrade because our older
          > macbook took way too long producing compressed files from raw HD. I
          > love to use things till they cant be used anymore....but I feel there
          > was a big jump in the past couple years between processor power and
          > the rise of HD.
          >
          > Jay

          Yeah, it's about 3 years old. What with 64 bit software, multi-threading, the Core i7, toss in Thunderbolt... yes, it would speed things up a bit. But I was hoping...

          Stan

          Stan Hirson
          http://PinePlainsViews.com
        • Jose Nuno Pereira
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 20, 2011
            Hi Stan et all,

            I use one of those Elgato turbo 264 HD usb thing and i must tell you that is one amazing device whatever laptop i use. I started using it with a white macbook (core 2 duo) and i am still using it on my last year macbook pro (still core 2 duo).
            I have been using Final Cut Pro 7 and now also FCPX but i nowadays always export ProRes (LT when on FCP and normal default one on ProRes on FCPX).

            After that i use the Elgato Turbo software and hardware and i almost always export 720p (24,25 or 30 fps). But i have already exported 1080p24/25.
            When i am on a good internet connection i tend to abuse and use 5Mbps encoding, but the least i use is 2Mbps. I have been exporting mostly to youtube which is very automatic and simple.

            When i am doing stuff that i have time and want it to be perfect I always use Compressor, i have lots of profiles there for whatever situation. I still use the Compressor from Final Cut Studio 3 and not the one from FCPX.

            In terms of work produced videos i tend to exclusively use the turbo encoding, because it's very fast and if you use 5Mbps you have to be picky to spot the differences where they exist.
            In my opinion they normally exist in the skin and on those natural details, but my work videos are mostly edited video that comes from low resolution captures, so that compression i do its not a problem.

            As for the Max from Matrox i can't say anything, i am also curious in what could be the differences from Elgato, but the price is so brutally different that i am afraid i am not going to find out. :)

            To sum up: when i am producing very nice content that i recorded myself i tend to try and export it through compressor but it all depends on the length and schedule i have for putting it online.

            For me in my line of work, the Elgato turbo 264 HD features and price make it a safe bet, in my opinion.

            I hope my answer helped you somehow.

            ZN

            On Sep 20, 2011, at 16:49 , StanH wrote:

            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

            >> Ive never used those products so cant offer advice. But is the macbook
            >> you're using 3-4 years old? I know we had to upgrade because our older
            >> macbook took way too long producing compressed files from raw HD. I
            >> love to use things till they cant be used anymore....but I feel there
            >> was a big jump in the past couple years between processor power and
            >> the rise of HD.
            >>
            >> Jay
            >
            > Yeah, it's about 3 years old. What with 64 bit software, multi-threading, the Core i7, toss in Thunderbolt... yes, it would speed things up a bit. But I was hoping...
            >
            > Stan
            >
            > Stan Hirson
            > http://PinePlainsViews.com

          • Jose Nuno Pereira
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 20, 2011
              Hi again!

              If you are using FCPX, you should try the new version (10.0.1) because they say they just enabled the GPU exporting... - http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html

              "GPU-accelerated export
              Harness the power of the GPU on your graphics card to speed up foreground export."

              Hope it works on your mac, there has to be a list of compatible graphic cards somewhere.

              ZN

              On Sep 20, 2011, at 17:13 , Jose Nuno Pereira wrote:

              > Hi Stan et all,
              >
              > I use one of those Elgato turbo 264 HD usb thing and i must tell you that is one amazing device whatever laptop i use. I started using it with a white macbook (core 2 duo) and i am still using it on my last year macbook pro (still core 2 duo).
              > I have been using Final Cut Pro 7 and now also FCPX but i nowadays always export ProRes (LT when on FCP and normal default one on ProRes on FCPX).
              >
              > After that i use the Elgato Turbo software and hardware and i almost always export 720p (24,25 or 30 fps). But i have already exported 1080p24/25.
              > When i am on a good internet connection i tend to abuse and use 5Mbps encoding, but the least i use is 2Mbps. I have been exporting mostly to youtube which is very automatic and simple.
              >
              > When i am doing stuff that i have time and want it to be perfect I always use Compressor, i have lots of profiles there for whatever situation. I still use the Compressor from Final Cut Studio 3 and not the one from FCPX.
              >
              > In terms of work produced videos i tend to exclusively use the turbo encoding, because it's very fast and if you use 5Mbps you have to be picky to spot the differences where they exist.
              > In my opinion they normally exist in the skin and on those natural details, but my work videos are mostly edited video that comes from low resolution captures, so that compression i do its not a problem.
              >
              > As for the Max from Matrox i can't say anything, i am also curious in what could be the differences from Elgato, but the price is so brutally different that i am afraid i am not going to find out. :)
              >
              > To sum up: when i am producing very nice content that i recorded myself i tend to try and export it through compressor but it all depends on the length and schedule i have for putting it online.
              >
              > For me in my line of work, the Elgato turbo 264 HD features and price make it a safe bet, in my opinion.
              >
              > I hope my answer helped you somehow.
              >
              > ZN
              >

              > On Sep 20, 2011, at 16:49 , StanH wrote:
              >

              >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

              >>> Ive never used those products so cant offer advice. But is the macbook
              >>> you're using 3-4 years old? I know we had to upgrade because our older
              >>> macbook took way too long producing compressed files from raw HD. I
              >>> love to use things till they cant be used anymore....but I feel there
              >>> was a big jump in the past couple years between processor power and
              >>> the rise of HD.
              >>>
              >>> Jay
              >>
              >> Yeah, it's about 3 years old. What with 64 bit software, multi-threading, the Core i7, toss in Thunderbolt... yes, it would speed things up a bit. But I was hoping...
              >>
              >> Stan
              >>
              >> Stan Hirson
              >> http://PinePlainsViews.com

            • StanH
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 20, 2011
                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jose Nuno Pereira <zenuno@...> wrote:

                > Hi again!
                >
                > If you are using FCPX, you should try the new version (10.0.1) because they say they just enabled the GPU exporting... - http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html
                >
                > "GPU-accelerated export
                > Harness the power of the GPU on your graphics card to speed up foreground export."
                > On Sep 20, 2011, at 17:13 , Jose Nuno Pereira wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Stan et all,
                > >
                > > I use one of those Elgato turbo 264 HD usb thing and i must tell you that is one amazing device whatever laptop i use. I started using it with a white macbook (core 2 duo) and i am still using it on my last year macbook pro (still core 2 duo).
                > > I have been using Final Cut Pro 7 and now also FCPX but i nowadays always export ProRes (LT when on FCP and normal default one on ProRes on FCPX).

                [snip]

                Jose, thanks for your replies. I am going to run right out (with my DSL) and try to get the upgrade downloaded. I should do that before other options. But as Jay suggested, there's always that new computer waiting. I would not flinch under normal circumstances, but right now my projects are on spec.

                Thanks,

                Stan

                Stan Hirson
                http://PinePlainsViews.com
              • mikemoon_ca
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 20, 2011
                  I have the Elgato turbo.264 that I have used for a few years. It cuts the processing time way, way down.
                  If I use FCP, I export to the default Quicktime Movie, put that 500mb file into the "turbo", and a couple minutes later, I have my nice 40mb file ready for upload.
                  One of my camcorder doesn't create a file that FCP likes, so I send it through the turbo, voila.

                  There is an HD version, but I don't know much about it.
                  I've recently changed my posting size to 640x360. The turbo handles it well. No issues with the files on either Youtube or Blip.tv.

                  I should say, I'm using the turbo.264 with my iMac, 1.83ghz duo core, yes the one with the pull start. :)

                  Mike
                  http://MikeMoon.ca

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 21, 2011
                    > I have the Elgato turbo.264 that I have used for a few years. It cuts the processing time way, way down.
                    > If I use FCP, I export to the default Quicktime Movie, put that 500mb file into the "turbo", and a couple minutes later, I have my nice 40mb file ready for upload.
                    > One of my camcorder doesn't create a file that FCP likes, so I send it through the turbo, voila.
                    > There is an HD version, but I don't know much about it.
                    > I've recently changed my posting size to 640x360. The turbo handles it well. No issues with the files on either Youtube or Blip.tv.
                    > I should say, I'm using the turbo.264 with my iMac, 1.83ghz duo core, yes the one with the pull start. :)

                    Its weird that Ive never heard of this Elgato thing before. Reading up
                    on it now, some people complain about the quality of video that it
                    compresses. Do you have control over the settings for the video it
                    spits out?

                  • mikemoon_ca
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 21, 2011
                      Yes, you have some some controls:
                      Size, Aspect, Frame Rate, Data rate (although I just use default), Audio, chapters and closed caption.
                      From with iMovie and Final Cut, you can export directly to the Elgato, but only the default configurations, not any of my custom ones.

                      For me, it's fast, and it works.

                      Mike
                      http://MikeMoon.ca

                      > > I have the Elgato turbo.264 that I have used for a few years. It cuts the processing time way, way down.
                      > > If I use FCP, I export to the default Quicktime Movie, put that 500mb file into the "turbo", and a couple minutes later, I have my nice 40mb file ready for upload.
                      > > One of my camcorder doesn't create a file that FCP likes, so I send it through the turbo, voila.
                      > > There is an HD version, but I don't know much about it.
                      > > I've recently changed my posting size to 640x360. The turbo handles it well. No issues with the files on either Youtube or Blip.tv.
                      > > I should say, I'm using the turbo.264 with my iMac, 1.83ghz duo core, yes the one with the pull start. :)
                      >
                      > Its weird that Ive never heard of this Elgato thing before. Reading up
                      > on it now, some people complain about the quality of video that it
                      > compresses. Do you have control over the settings for the video it
                      > spits out?

                      > 917 371 6790
                      > 540 860 0673

                    • Jose Nuno Pereira
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 21, 2011
                        Hi Jay,

                        Here you have a snapshot of the video settings. there is also an audio and other section, and you can set it to upload in the end of the exporting for youtube, a folder, ftp (that type of thing).
                        On the left you can see the profiles i created: i end up using mostly 720p with auto frames per second and for youtube or just encode. when it's youtube it also creates the mp4 file locally.

                        For some examples of the output you can check out some video i made recently here
                        (videos recorded with Lumix GH2 in 1080p24 and edited in FCPX)

                        Simpósio sobre qualidade de vida no cancro (Marisa Matias, 2011/09/09)
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uMLXJ5cprg
                        (exported as 1080p24 ~ 5Mbps)

                        A Palestina tem direito a um lugar nas Nações Unidas (PE, 2011/09/08)
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10NKuVbG3HA
                        (exported as 720p24 ~ 5Mbps)

                        Regards
                        ZN

                        ----------

                        On Sep 21, 2011, at 14:04 , Jay dedman wrote:

                        >> I have the Elgato turbo.264 that I have used for a few years. It cuts the processing time way, way down.
                        >> If I use FCP, I export to the default Quicktime Movie, put that 500mb file into the "turbo", and a couple minutes later, I have my nice 40mb file ready for upload.
                        >> One of my camcorder doesn't create a file that FCP likes, so I send it through the turbo, voila.
                        >> There is an HD version, but I don't know much about it.
                        >> I've recently changed my posting size to 640x360. The turbo handles it well. No issues with the files on either Youtube or Blip.tv.
                        >> I should say, I'm using the turbo.264 with my iMac, 1.83ghz duo core, yes the one with the pull start. :)
                        >
                        > Its weird that Ive never heard of this Elgato thing before. Reading up
                        > on it now, some people complain about the quality of video that it
                        > compresses. Do you have control over the settings for the video it
                        > spits out?

                        > 917 371 6790
                        > 540 860 0673

                      • StanH
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 21, 2011
                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jose Nuno Pereira <zenuno@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Jay,
                          >
                          > Here you have a snapshot of the video settings. there is also an audio and other section, and you can set it to upload in the end of the exporting for youtube, a folder, ftp (that type of thing).
                          > On the left you can see the profiles i created: i end up using mostly 720p with auto frames per second and for youtube or just encode. when it's youtube it also creates the mp4 file locally.

                          [snip]

                          Am I missing something? I could not find the snapshot of the video settings or the profiles. I have the software-only demo that I downloaded from the Elgato site and I like the interface. I guess I should try the dongle!

                          I like the quality and simplicity of Jose's videos. They were all done on the Elgato Turbo HD dongle?

                          I'm glad to see that there is still some life in videoblogging@yahoo! I miss the ability to follow threads, a feature that has not yet been put into Google+. Will it be?

                          This group has been waning, I'm afraid, just as the self-hosting video blogs have been giving way to social networks, "shows" and YouTube and Vimeo. I hope there will always be rooom for everyone at the party...

                          Stan

                          Stan Hirson

                          http://PinePlainsViews.com
                        • Jose Nuno Pereira
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 22, 2011
                            Hi again,

                            *Vimeo announcement today*
                            Have you seen today's announcement on Vimeo - music store?
                            http://vimeo.com/blog:443
                            http://vimeo.com/musicstore

                            *About Elgato turbo 264 HD*
                            About my videos, they were exported as ProRes/Quicktime video on FCPX and then i compressed (and automatically uploaded) on the Turbo 264 HD software with dongle.
                            As far as i know the software without the dongle should give you the same quality but in a slower speed. So if you go get the trial software you can see all the settings by yourself.

                            When we are comparing the turbo compressed videos we should actually compare it with the Compressor or Quicktime Export with one pass only, because that's the same thing you have with the hardware. As far as i know there is no second-pass hardware encoders.

                            You really should try the new exporting on FCPX 10.0.1 because people are saying that it is much faster then before, but of course it depends on your specific GPU and it's compatibility with the FCPX (OpenCL enabled i think it's needed).
                            I personally will have to run some tests on the encoding again because of this FCPX update, I will say something again when i have some results.

                            *Subtitles on FCPX*
                            Today i managed to build a perl script to convert a SRT (subtitle) file to the new FCPXML format and so i happily have subtitles enabled the nice FCPX. Yes!
                            I will try to make a web script so that people can use the script by themselves. Kind of updating what we have by Michael Cinquin on
                            http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools/subtitles/srt_to_fcp
                            (works nicely for FCP7 / FCS3)

                            Regards
                            ZN

                            On Sep 21, 2011, at 23:53 , StanH wrote:

                            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jose Nuno Pereira <zenuno@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Hi Jay,
                            >>
                            >> Here you have a snapshot of the video settings. there is also an audio and other section, and you can set it to upload in the end of the exporting for youtube, a folder, ftp (that type of thing).
                            >> On the left you can see the profiles i created: i end up using mostly 720p with auto frames per second and for youtube or just encode. when it's youtube it also creates the mp4 file locally.
                            >>
                            > [snip]
                            >
                            > Am I missing something? I could not find the snapshot of the video settings or the profiles. I have the software-only demo that I downloaded from the Elgato site and I like the interface. I guess I should try the dongle!
                            >
                            > I like the quality and simplicity of Jose's videos. They were all done on the Elgato Turbo HD dongle?
                            >
                            > I'm glad to see that there is still some life in videoblogging@yahoo! I miss the ability to follow threads, a feature that has not yet been put into Google+. Will it be?
                            >
                            > This group has been waning, I'm afraid, just as the self-hosting video blogs have been giving way to social networks, "shows" and YouTube and Vimeo. I hope there will always be rooom for everyone at the party...
                            >
                            > Stan
                            >
                            > Stan Hirson
                            >
                            > http://PinePlainsViews.com

                          • StanH
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 18, 2011
                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jose Nuno Pereira <zenuno@...> wrote:

                              > To sum up: when i am producing very nice content that i recorded myself i tend to try and export it through compressor but it all depends on the length and schedule i have for putting it online.
                              >
                              > For me in my line of work, the Elgato turbo 264 HD features and price make it a safe bet, in my opinion.
                              >
                              > I hope my answer helped you somehow.

                              Yes, Jose, that was a big help, particularly looking at the settings you emailed to me! I got the USB dongle and fooled around with a lot (LOT, LOT) of combinations and parameters. I now have what I think is a satisfactory workflow for my projects. Thanks.

                              I make a master directly from FCP X and Compressor 4 at 720p, 60 fps, max bitrate, etc. It takes forever, but this give me a solid base from which to make different versions. From this master -- in real time! -- I make my YouTube or Vimeo h.264 at 3 fps with some at 5000kbs. Did I say real time? At least that fast. Compared with Compressor it is anywhere from 6 to 10 times faster. Starting out with the high quality master, I cannot see any degredation in resolution from the YouTube versions from Compressor. Also, I make versions for iPad to show subjects and participants and I make a 1000 kbs version at 640 x 360 to embed on my websites with my own hosting. Huge time savings and it allows me to look at "scratch" versions and rough cuts away from the computer.

                              If you would like to see examples of my output, check out the 2 videos on my YouTube channel about car racing on http://www.youtube.com/user/shirson and the same 2 videos on my Pine Plains Views website at: http://pineplainsviews.com/people-portraits/scenes-and-behind-them-at-lime-rock-park/

                              I wish I could have a direct output to the Elgato Turbo on Compressor or FCP; X, but it has been helpful to have the master around anyway.

                              Now, if we could have a player plugin that allowed for multimple videos on a page such that the download would stop when another video opened (like vPIP) and that was not Flash-based and was free....

                              Okay! It's a good start!

                              Stan

                              Stan Hirson
                              http://PinePlainsViews.com
                            • Matthew Alan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 19, 2011
                                I shoot in 720p 24fps.  I like the film look.  I export to Windows Media 720p 24 fps, gives me a nice looking video.   I use Premeire.  I have never gotten more technical than that.

                                There were times we were out shooting the show - and i just go with my eye - and someone would come up and start talking technical stuff and I just would have no idea what they were talking about.

                                As with audio, you have to go with your ear.  There has been the "summing" debate for years and I have never been able to tell the difference between in the box and out of the box mastering.

                                As far as i am concerned it is YouTube and the bandwidth does not exist yet - our infrastructure - to support people viewing HD videos.  Being on the road and in motels i have never even been able to get to finish a download of a video.

                                I'm not saying sacrifice quality, but you have to consider your audience and their bandwidth allocations.

                                Next thing you know you spend 5 hours rendering something so have peolpe click on 240p when they have satellite internet in most rural parts of the country - which of you have traveled is like 80% of the country.

                                So my response was to just not give a shit about it.  I used to adamant about doing everything in 1080p but then I doubled my P2 storage when I reduced it, and to this day no one has ever noticed.

                                Just throwing out an alternate view on being over-technical

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 19, 2011
                                  > As far as i am concerned it is YouTube and the bandwidth does not exist yet - our infrastructure - to support people viewing HD videos.  Being on the road and in motels i have never even been able to get to finish a download of a video.
                                  > I'm not saying sacrifice quality, but you have to consider your audience and their bandwidth allocations.
                                  > Next thing you know you spend 5 hours rendering something so have peolpe click on 240p when they have satellite internet in most rural parts of the country - which of you have traveled is like 80% of the country.
                                  > So my response was to just not give a shit about it.  I used to adamant about doing everything in 1080p but then I doubled my P2 storage when I reduced it, and to this day no one has ever noticed.
                                  > Just throwing out an alternate view on being over-technical

                                  We used to have these debates often as early as 2004 when we were
                                  posting 320x240. All files under 5mb. Adrian Miles was the loudest
                                  advocate for the smallest files since Australians and others are
                                  charged by the megabyte. He called it "bandwidth pollution"!

                                  Great thing about Youtube is that they downcovert for you. So upload
                                  your highest resolution, and they'll convert smaller sizes. Plus its
                                  always good to have high res masters for the future.

                                  The US certainly has a bandwidth issue in rural areas. But if you take
                                  the past seven years as an example, I think things will just get
                                  faster. I had satellite internet until they installed DSL about three
                                  years ago. If broadband providers don't keep expanding capacity, then
                                  this leads to bigger issues than just watching HD videos.

                                • Matthew Alan
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 19, 2011
                                    I can say after being in all 48 continental United States in the last two years that this country that is just more than rural areas that have poor service.  There still major cell phone carriers that don't have towers in major cities - try to get an ATT signal in Denver or San Francisco.  All of Wyoming, most of New Mexico, Texas, South Eastern Cali, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, half of Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa are all covered by satelite providers which is roughly half the speed of slow DSL.

                                    Though, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking people who have the technical knowledge, it's required, but I am saying for the purposes of doing YouTube, cable television pilots, or even television itself I have never had anyone comment on the quality or raise the issue.  The most common request I get from execs is, "Can you send me a smaller file?"

                                    I carry my reel on a small HD camera, and that is just a shot of my editing desktop - handheld.

                                    HD is a standard that is being pushed by the technology companies, not the industry, with most actors not really wanting to do HD pieces because it makes them look older, all the lines, wrinkles, details.  I know that I am 35 and i have to be on camera and I NEVER do it in full HD lol

                                    All of this being said, I will be delivering two movies this year and having a rendering expert would be nice.  It's a whole different beast to render a full movie than a 5 minute video blog.

                                    Matt