Re: [videoblogging] Re: Blip Pro vs Vimeo Pro?

  • Ron Watson
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 22, 2011
      That is the kind of answer I was looking for Steve.

      I think what I will do is to create another channel. I will pare this one
      down to my core Pro offerings and promos, leave the promos here - and
      rebuild the new channel with continuity. How many episodes do I need to have
      up and with what frequency of positng to get listed?

      Peace~

      On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM, steve_woolf <swoolf@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Yeah, from what I see here the main issue is that it's hard to tell if this
      > is a show or a collection of pet-related videos -- some are training, some
      > are videos of pets set to music (and you do have rights/permission for the
      > music?), some are promos, etc.
      >
      > But if you're willing to shape the library into clear and consistent
      > content or format, that would be all that's needed. Then you can ping the
      > producer relations team for them to look at the channels and set them up for
      > visibility on the site with the premium show skin.
      >
      > Steve
      >

      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Actually it's http://blip.tv/pawsitive-vybe . We do dog frisbee and dog
      > > training.
      > >
      > > We were practically homeless from Jan-July, so not much going on there,
      > and
      > > during 2010 I put out a ton of private vids for our disc dog foundation
      > > distance learning class, and was not putting up public stuff.
      > >
      > > I ran a few pieces of propaganda for our distance learning business via
      > > iMovie Trailers during that time, but if you go back a bit you'll see
      > more
      > > of the kind of work we actually do.
      > >
      > > Peace,
      > > Ron Watson
      > > Pawsitive Vybe

    • David Lee King
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 22, 2011
        Steve - thanks for answering these questions! I've been eavesdropping :-)
        And I have a question too - Is using blip as a place to store random videos
        to post to a blog still an acceptable use of blip.tv? I love making videos,
        but they're not really a "show" - more a bunch or random slice-of-life
        videos.

        Is that still cool with blip.tv? Or should people like me be gravitating
        more towards vimeo or youtube?

        Thanks again!

        David Lee King
        davidleeking.com - blog
        davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
        twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

        On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM, steve_woolf <swoolf@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Yeah, from what I see here the main issue is that it's hard to tell if this
        > is a show or a collection of pet-related videos -- so

        me are training, some are videos of pets set to music (and you do have
        > rights/permission for the music?), some are promos, etc.
        >
        > But if you're willing to shape the library into clear and consistent
        > content or format, that would be all that's needed. Then you can ping the
        > producer relations team for them to look at the channels and set them up for
        > visibility on the site with the premium show skin.
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Actually it's http://blip.tv/pawsitive-vybe . We do dog frisbee and dog
        > > training.
        > >
        > > We were practically homeless from Jan-July, so not much going on there,
        > and
        > > during 2010 I put out a ton of private vids for our disc dog foundation
        > > distance learning class, and was not putting up public stuff.
        > >
        > > I ran a few pieces of propaganda for our distance learning business via
        > > iMovie Trailers during that time, but if you go back a bit you'll see
        > more
        > > of the kind of work we actually do.
        > >
        > > Peace,
        > > Ron Watson
        > > Pawsitive Vybe

      • Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 22, 2011
          hi all

          and I'm joining the fray. We have *a lot* of videos from 30 years of video
          recording of circus performances. This is archival material that will be put
          online and then delivered through a specific social video site that we are
          making. We want to host the web version video at somewhere like blip, but
          they are not shows or episodes. We don't want to use YouTube (variety of
          reasons) and the ability to have a pro account on blip and 'hide' the
          material made blip a good choice.

          But as with David's question below, would this not be an appropriate use of
          blip in terms of blip's terms of service?

          an appropriate closing
          Adrian Miles
          about.me/vogmae

        • steve_woolf
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 23, 2011
            No hard and fast rules, but if you post a new episode every week for a few weeks that's the idea.

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

            > That is the kind of answer I was looking for Steve.
            >
            > I think what I will do is to create another channel. I will pare this one
            > down to my core Pro offerings and promos, leave the promos here - and
            > rebuild the new channel with continuity. How many episodes do I need to have
            > up and with what frequency of positng to get listed?
            >
            > Peace~
            >
            > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM, steve_woolf <swoolf@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Yeah, from what I see here the main issue is that it's hard to tell if this
            > > is a show or a collection of pet-related videos -- some are training, some
            > > are videos of pets set to music (and you do have rights/permission for the
            > > music?), some are promos, etc.
            > >
            > > But if you're willing to shape the library into clear and consistent
            > > content or format, that would be all that's needed. Then you can ping the
            > > producer relations team for them to look at the channels and set them up for
            > > visibility on the site with the premium show skin.
            > >
            > > Steve
            > >

            > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Actually it's http://blip.tv/pawsitive-vybe . We do dog frisbee and dog
            > > > training.
            > > >
            > > > We were practically homeless from Jan-July, so not much going on there,
            > > and
            > > > during 2010 I put out a ton of private vids for our disc dog foundation
            > > > distance learning class, and was not putting up public stuff.
            > > >
            > > > I ran a few pieces of propaganda for our distance learning business via
            > > > iMovie Trailers during that time, but if you go back a bit you'll see
            > > more
            > > > of the kind of work we actually do.
            > > >
            > > > Peace,
            > > > Ron Watson
            > > > Pawsitive Vybe

          • steve_woolf
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 23, 2011
              Hi David -

              No, blip's not a great service for random videos. Vimeo or YouTube would be a better fit for that stuff.

              Steve

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:

              > Steve - thanks for answering these questions! I've been eavesdropping :-)
              > And I have a question too - Is using blip as a place to store random videos
              > to post to a blog still an acceptable use of blip.tv? I love making videos,
              > but they're not really a "show" - more a bunch or random slice-of-life
              > videos.
              >
              > Is that still cool with blip.tv? Or should people like me be gravitating
              > more towards vimeo or youtube?
              >
              > Thanks again!
              >
              > David Lee King
              > davidleeking.com - blog
              > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
              > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>
              >

              > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM, steve_woolf <swoolf@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Yeah, from what I see here the main issue is that it's hard to tell if this
              > > is a show or a collection of pet-related videos -- so
              > >
              > me are training, some are videos of pets set to music (and you do have
              > > rights/permission for the music?), some are promos, etc.
              > >
              > > But if you're willing to shape the library into clear and consistent
              > > content or format, that would be all that's needed. Then you can ping the
              > > producer relations team for them to look at the channels and set them up for
              > > visibility on the site with the premium show skin.
              > >
              > > Steve
              > >
              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Actually it's http://blip.tv/pawsitive-vybe . We do dog frisbee and dog
              > > > training.
              > > >
              > > > We were practically homeless from Jan-July, so not much going on there,
              > > and
              > > > during 2010 I put out a ton of private vids for our disc dog foundation
              > > > distance learning class, and was not putting up public stuff.
              > > >
              > > > I ran a few pieces of propaganda for our distance learning business via
              > > > iMovie Trailers during that time, but if you go back a bit you'll see
              > > more
              > > > of the kind of work we actually do.
              > > >
              > > > Peace,
              > > > Ron Watson
              > > > Pawsitive Vybe

            • steve_woolf
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 23, 2011
                If it's not serialized in some manner, it's not a great fit for blip. Again, we're not in the habit of randomly deleting accounts that don't have copyrighted, adult, or promotional content, but blip is built for *series* growth, care, and feeding. Sounds like you need a more general form of video hosting.

                Steve

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:

                > hi all
                >
                > and I'm joining the fray. We have *a lot* of videos from 30 years of video
                > recording of circus performances. This is archival material that will be put
                > online and then delivered through a specific social video site that we are
                > making. We want to host the web version video at somewhere like blip, but
                > they are not shows or episodes. We don't want to use YouTube (variety of
                > reasons) and the ability to have a pro account on blip and 'hide' the
                > material made blip a good choice.
                >
                > But as with David's question below, would this not be an appropriate use of
                > blip in terms of blip's terms of service?
                >
                > On 23 August 2011 11:08, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Steve - thanks for answering these questions! I've been eavesdropping :-)
                > > And I have a question too - Is using blip as a place to store random videos
                > > to post to a blog still an acceptable use of blip.tv? I love making
                > > videos,
                > > but they're not really a "show" - more a bunch or random slice-of-life
                > > videos.
                > >
                > > Is that still cool with blip.tv? Or should people like me be gravitating
                > > more towards vimeo or youtube?
                > >
                > > Thanks again!
                > >
                > > David Lee King
                > > davidleeking.com - blog
                > > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                > > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>
                > >

                > > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM, steve_woolf <swoolf@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > Yeah, from what I see here the main issue is that it's hard to tell if
                > > this
                > > > is a show or a collection of pet-related videos -- so
                > > >
                > > me are training, some are videos of pets set to music (and you do have
                > > > rights/permission for the music?), some are promos, etc.
                > > >
                > > > But if you're willing to shape the library into clear and consistent
                > > > content or format, that would be all that's needed. Then you can ping the
                > > > producer relations team for them to look at the channels and set them up
                > > for
                > > > visibility on the site with the premium show skin.
                > > >
                > > > Steve

                > > dog

                > > > and

                > > > more

                > an appropriate closing
                > Adrian Miles
                > about.me/vogmae

              • Chad Boeninger
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 23, 2011
                  Steve,
                  I have appreciated your input in this conversation. I know that I (and
                  likely many others here) chose Blip for video hosting because there are real
                  people like you answering questions. I've contemplated leaving Blip for
                  some time, though, as I, too, felt like my videos weren't episodic enough to
                  stay around. However, I figured that since my videos are not random and
                  have a general theme (business library research), and are updated
                  semi-regularly (by no means weekly), then perhaps that my videos/channel
                  still belong at Blip. Can you give the channel a quick glance to see if I
                  am off base? http://blip.tv/business-research-tv . Thanks again for all
                  of your input.

                  --Chad

                  Chad F. Boeninger
                  libraryvoice.com
                  twitter.com/cfboeninger

                • compumavengal
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 23, 2011
                    Ah me. My videos are an extension of my blog. Trying to define my blog makes my head hurt.

                    Yes, I should be able to give a 15 second synopsis such as the videos are a reflection of my life and adventure in this time and space.

                    If I was rich you'd call me eclectic.
                    I'm not rich. I'm just this side of bonkers.

                    I record poets in the San Gabriel Valley.

                    Or portions of conference sessions that I think would interest other folks outside of the target groups such as Blogging While Brown/BlogHer

                    Or attend sex expo and record men not knowing how to handle a breast.
                    Or whatever I want or need to do at the moment.

                    I don't fit in a mold. Never really have. I am okay with it.

                    Some items I can post on YouTube but have to brace for flack.
                    I can do Vimeo but that seems to be more of a place for creators. Technically, I don't create. I record.

                    I don't know the answer. I've read some of the other answers you gave to folks and it seems that limited/occasional series, experiments or non-conformists videos may not be welcomed.

                    Steve, I think Blip.tv and any web hosting service needs the nut jobs. Not the stone wackos but people that try different things and fail and then succeed. The folks that keep on trying but they haven't arrived. One day there is a spark and a form of magic. There should be a space for that.

                    Yet Blip.tv is a business; not an artists collective. There are financial demands that have to be met. I know this. I have to say I feel like this is a form of gentrification. Not at all intentional. Just the way it is.

                    I'll have to think about it and make some choices. I sure hope they don't involve me going to film school or something.

                    Yes, I still ramble on and on.

                    Gena

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "steve_woolf" <swoolf@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > [image:
                    > > Facebook Page] <http://facebook.com/pawsitivevybe> [image:
                    > > Facebook]<http://facebook.com/k9athlete>
                    > > Skype me: [image: Skype] k9disc
                    > > PVybe Blog: Disc Dog Flatwork: Oppositional
                    > > Feeding<http://pvybe.com/disc-dog-training-2/disc-dog-flatwork-oppositional-feeding/>
                    > > [image: Google Plus] <http://plus.google.com/103124488805049266029> My
                    > > latest G+: Hanging out with Hanna Fushihara Aron & Derek and Michelle &
                    > > Skippy @ PVybe HQ working some multiple dog stuff with the PVybe
                    > > Pack....<http://plus.google.com/103124488805049266029/posts/3FLMPwW8VLa/>
                    > > My G+ <http://plus.google.com/103124488805049266029> -
                    > > Posts<http://plus.google.com/103124488805049266029/posts/>- Add
                    > > to Circles <http://plus.google.com/103124488805049266029/about/> - 15:25
                    > > Aug-19 <http://plus.google.com/103124488805049266029/about/>
                    > > Get this email app!
                    > > <http://www.wisestamp.com/apps/plus?utm_source=extension&utm_medium=email&utm_term=plus&utm_campaign=apps>
                    > >
                    > > Signature powered by
                    > > <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=9&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_9>
                    > > WiseStamp<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=9&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_9>
                    > >

                    > > On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 10:46 AM, compumavengal <compumavengal@
                    > > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > **
                    > > >

                    > > > I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination but I have been having
                    > > > concerns about the new incarnation of Blip.tv as well. I understand that
                    > > > they want to take their business in a web series/distribution direction. It
                    > > > could be a gold mine once various distribution deals are knock into place.
                    > > >
                    > > > I hoped that there was a still a place for folks like me that do a variety
                    > > > of things in my videos but I don't have a "web series." I don't fit the mold
                    > > > that they now want.
                    > > >
                    > > > The reason I went to a pro account was at the time it sped up conversions
                    > > > and there was no web host branding on the video. I liked the service. I
                    > > > wanted to support the company.
                    > > >
                    > > > Now? I don't know. I'm kinda skittish about uploading because some day I'm
                    > > > going to get the e-mail saying "Hey, it has been great but we no longer
                    > > > accept non-series based content."
                    > > >
                    > > > What would be the point in me making the poster and show page if I don't
                    > > > qualify for distribution? I'm not a graphic artist. Unless I find a template
                    > > > to adjust it is going to look non-professional.
                    > > >
                    > > > So, Ron if you don't have a way to communicate to who or whatever is the
                    > > > customer firewall what do the rest of us do?
                    > > >
                    > > > Vimeo Pro might be headed in the same direction. At some point the business
                    > > > will focus on paying advertising supported, business or corporate clients.
                    > > >
                    > > > The over all web hosting implications don't look good.

                  • steve_woolf
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 25, 2011
                      I think there's plenty of room for experimentation and working outside the box on blip. The show Zadi and I created back in 2006 was a weird sketch show for kids that morphed into an interview show for teens that morphed into a show about emerging culture, and took 6 months and 30 episodes to find its audience.

                      No reason at all people can't use blip to explore and figure things out. It's the reason we've kept blip as an open platform -- so that we don't take the tools away from people who can make great use of them before they figure out the hows and whys.

                      Steve