COLIN STETSON CAMPAIGN

  • Brian Gonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2011
      Hello friends near and far,

      We have each had our share of ardent and creative experiences with
      one another that I couldn't be more grateful for. As some of you know, I,
      along with a team of exceptionally talented collaborators, are preparing to
      create a mythic short film in collaboration with musical virtuoso *Colin
      Stetson <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Pxh3hXc2A>*, unlike anything
      before, in a world like no other. Naturally, every ambitious project demands
      an equally ambitious budget. Please pass along the link to our campaign on
      IndieGoGo <http://www.indiegogo.com/colinstetson?a=131977&i=addr> to help us
      raise money and get us closer to making our dreams come true.

      *
      Stetson resides in Montreal, QC, and performs regularly on assorted
      saxohones, clarinets, cornet, french horn and flute. His latest solo record
      New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges� was released in February, 2011 on
      Constellation Records.
      Aside from his work as a soloist, Stetson has brought his talents to the
      stage and studio with dozens of artists over the past decade, including Tom
      Waits, Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, Feist, Bon Iver, Laurie Anderson, Lou
      Reed, David Byrne, Jolie Holland, Sinead O�Connor, LCD Soundsystem, The
      National, Angelique Kidjo, and Anthony Braxton. Colin is currently a member
      of the band Bon Iver and will be touring with them throughout the year, as
      well as performing solo shows in support of his newest record.
      With no loops or pedals, but a mastery of circular breathing on a single
      instrument, Colin has been able to sweep audiences into the light and
      (especially) dark corners of their souls while challenging critics into a
      new language of what music is and can be.

      "Once in a while, I can convince myself that it's impossible to say anything
      truly new in music. There has been so much music made and documented in the
      last 50 years, my thinking goes, that the best we can hope for is an artful
      re-combination of elements of the past (which seems like more than enough,
      most of the time). But then I'll come across a new record that sounds like
      nothing else I've heard"
      Pitchfork<http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15166-new-history-of-warfare-vol-2-judges/>

      "Colin Stetson is one of our greatest living saxophone players. Maybe more
      than anyone, he is taking the instrument to NEW places, with NEW technique.
      Moreover, he takes an acoustic instrument and prepares it with multiple
      microphones and contact mics, making it a draining, rewarding, physical and
      visceral expierience. It is fucking impossible, what you are hearing on this
      record. There are so many, CRUSHINGLY beautiful sounds coming out of one
      person, at ONCE, that it makes your skin tremble, your mind go blank, and
      your eyes close."
      -Justin Vernon (Bon Iver)

      It is the most exciting and devastating record that I have heard in seasons;
      it is a roaring, terrible sadness. Twenty microphones, planted like roses
      around a room - capturing the ripple of notes, the wails of resonance, the
      violent clack of fingers on keys and the shriek of Stetson's own voice,
      sounding through the horn; like Stetson has two hearts, four lungs, can sing
      two different sorrows at once. Judges sounds like nothing else. It is like
      being struck by a comet. It is only January but there is an album of the
      year."
      Said The Gramophone<http://www.saidthegramophone.com/archives/our_last_hope.php>

      �First question, how does he do this? Recorded without loops or
      overdubs...all of his orchestration was captured in the studio, using 20
      microphones. The effect is one that mimics a small band or overdubbed tour
      de force. With this second volume he has enlarged and strengthened his
      palate. It is pure revelation.�
      All About Jazz <http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=38633/>

      �To get a sense of the saxophonist�s self-sufficiency, think of him as a
      nonsinging singer-songwriter. His command of circular breathing and
      multiphonics will prick up the ears of any experimental-improv buff, but
      Stetson�s real coup is the alchemical way he channels these raw materials
      into fully outfitted tunes�the kind that loop in your head involuntarily.�
      Time Out New York<http://newyork.timeout.com/music-nightlife/music/682579/stars-of-2011>

      "Musically magnificent and lush. Colin is doing something so special, so
      inspired, it will take people some time to catch up to his sound and genius.
      Picture early Pink Floyd connecting with the whirling powers of the
      pioneering free jazz masters. You are left with with a thunderous,
      rapturous sound that is both delicate and probing. One listen to this album
      inevitably leads to infinite plays. It gets inside you and rips apart the
      senses...a must have."
      Loud Vine <http://loudvine.com/blog/mp3/colin-stetson-judges-stream>

      "**New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges is an album of somber beauty, its
      flashes of color existing amidst a broad spectrum of grays. Like
      experimental films than toy with narrative and bend the viewer�s
      expectations..."
      Dusted Magazine <http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/6318>

      "whatever it is or is not, **New History Warfare 2 is superfine,
      breathtaking, at once unnervingly exploratory and highly accessible, a
      record which leaves you grasping in vain for adequate reference points and
      peer comparisons (though expect me to try a few, all the same). Ironically,
      what sounds like studio trickery is actually sheer virtuosity on Stetson's
      part."
      The Quietus <http://thequietus.com/articles/06017-colin-stetson>

      "What makes the album broader (...) is observing the world from within and
      without. Stetson is really an army of one, a single voice haunted by a
      thousand others."
      CokeMachineGlow<http://www.cokemachineglow.com/record_review/6080/colinstetson-newhistorywarfare-2011>

      "This album has me spellbound in amazement at his superhuman abilities. �New
      History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges� is quite an astoundingly daring, creative
      and virtuosic masterpiece of an album."
      Quartertonality<http://quartertonality.com/2011/02/08/album-review-colin-stetson-new-history-warfare-vol-2-judges/>

      *
      Thank you all for your consideration and generosity,
      Brian

      --
      Brian Gonzalez
      taxiplasm@...