Re: [videoblogging] Re: iMovie capture question

  • Joly MacFie
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15, 2011
      I will qualify that: *except for bona fide webcams.

      On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

      > Belief is a wonderful thing.
      >
      > However I am yet to find a single camera that streams via USB.* I'd love to
      > find one.
      >
      > j'
      >

      > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...>wrote:
      >
      >> thank you :-)
      >>
      >> On 16 August 2011 07:21, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> > I believe that answer to be yes.
      >> >

      >> an appropriate closing
      >> Adrian Miles
      >> about.me/vogmae

      > Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
      > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
      > -

      Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
      WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
    • theurbanreporter
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
        To confirm. I just spoke to my partner Chip Dizard who just bought an HD USB webcam.

        This video is unlisted but hopefully you'll believe me now :)

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKjdKQVlEg

        Amani Channel
        http:www.webvideochefs.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
          BTW When you say stream do want to live stream your web cam or just use it as a external video cam?

          ac

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
            As I say, except for bonafide webcams.

            Video camcorders are something else.

            On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 2:22 PM, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:

            > To confirm. I just spoke to my partner Chip Dizard who just bought an HD
            > USB webcam.
            >
            > This video is unlisted but hopefully you'll believe me now :)
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKjdKQVlEg
            >
            > Amani Channel
            > http:www.webvideochefs.com
            >

            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I will qualify that: *except for bona fide webcams.

            > > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Belief is a wonderful thing.
            > > >
            > > > However I am yet to find a single camera that streams via USB.* I'd
            > love to
            > > > find one.
            > > >
            > > > j'

            > > > Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
            > > > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
            > > > http://pinstand.com - http://punkcast.com
            > > > VP (Admin) - ISOC-NY - http://isoc-ny.org
            > > > -

            > > Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
            > > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
            > > http://pinstand.com - http://punkcast.com
            > > VP (Admin) - ISOC-NY - http://isoc-ny.org

            Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
            WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
              external video camera that captures straight into iMovie. It is for the
              recording of circus performance auditions and they use it live in the
              performance space, including for choreographing the entire show where they
              move acts around in iMovie and see what happens.

              On 17 August 2011 11:29, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:

              > BTW When you say stream do want to live stream your web cam or just use it
              > as a external video cam?

              an appropriate closing
              Adrian Miles
              about.me/vogmae

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
                > external video camera that captures straight into iMovie. It is for the
                > recording of circus performance auditions and they use it live in the
                > performance space, including for choreographing the entire show where they
                > move acts around in iMovie and see what happens.

                I know iMovie06 would let you record from any video source. It can
                still be downloaded: http://goo.gl/ScbK
                Assume it'd still work on the newer macs.
                I loved the simple interface.

                Jay
              • Joly MacFie
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
                  Normally firewire in, though. That's the problem, many cameras/laptops today
                  don't have that firewire port. And the usb webcams don't have viewfinders,
                  zoom etc that one takes for granted on a regular camera - meanwhile, for
                  reasons I've never been able to fathom, camcorders just don't stream video
                  out via usb.

                  So, one can use a USB capture device, yes? However even that is fraught with
                  problems, for instance, say, the only USB device the latest version of
                  Livestream's Procaster client will recognize is the Black Magic Intensity,
                  which in turn will only work with USB 3.0 , which itself only is implemented
                  on a few not cheap laptops because it uses a different Intel chipset.

                  My own workarounds for live streaming have included mounting a separate
                  webcam on the top of the camcorder that I am taping on. My current set up
                  consists of feeding composite signals out of a couple of camcorders into a
                  $20 Radio Shack switcher and then an Avermedia
                  Gold<http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-MEZUSBGDR-DVD-EZMaker-Gold/dp/B000J5GZDC>USB
                  capture device. This works with an older version of Procaster, or
                  Flash
                  Media Encoder - and presumably would work for iMovie too.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
                    > Normally firewire in, though. That's the problem, many cameras/laptops today
                    > don't have that firewire port. And the usb webcams don't have viewfinders,
                    > zoom etc that one takes for granted on a regular camera - meanwhile, for
                    > reasons I've never been able to fathom, camcorders just don't stream video
                    > out via usb.
                    > So, one can use a USB capture device, yes? However even that is fraught with
                    > problems, for instance, say, the only USB device the latest version of
                    > Livestream's Procaster client will recognize is the Black Magic Intensity,
                    > which in turn will only work with USB 3.0 , which itself only is implemented
                    > on a few not cheap laptops because it uses a different Intel chipset.

                    Holy shit. I guess I didnt think through all the different issues with
                    each piece of hardware. I guess I would buy an older small camcorder
                    that has the firewire port. I just bought an old mini-dv camcorder on
                    ebay for $99 (it went for $800 three years ago). Nows the time to
                    stock up on old quality hardware before they stop selling it and the
                    stuff gets too beat up.

                    Jay
                  • Joly MacFie
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
                      What I have just started using for this purpose is a Toshiba Camileo - there
                      are two versions the H30 with 5x Zoom and the X100 with 10x Zoom. $135 -
                      $155. Running on battery or mains power not only will they capture HD
                      (albeit in an a ridiculous x.264 in an avi wrapper format that has to be
                      converted to edit) onto SDHC but also they have composite 'tv out' - which I
                      feed into my cheap switcher. The downside being that, as soon as one plugs
                      in the tv, the viewfinder switches off so they only work for static shots,
                      but very handy..