Re: [videoblogging] Re: iMovie capture question

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15, 2011
      thank you :-)

      On 16 August 2011 07:21, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:

      > I believe that answer to be yes.

      an appropriate closing
      Adrian Miles
      about.me/vogmae

    • Joly MacFie
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 15, 2011
        Belief is a wonderful thing.

        However I am yet to find a single camera that streams via USB. I'd love to
        find one.

        j'

        On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...>wrote:

        > thank you :-)
        >
        > On 16 August 2011 07:21, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I believe that answer to be yes.
        > >

        > an appropriate closing
        > Adrian Miles
        > about.me/vogmae

        Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
        WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 15, 2011
          I will qualify that: *except for bona fide webcams.

          On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

          > Belief is a wonderful thing.
          >
          > However I am yet to find a single camera that streams via USB.* I'd love to
          > find one.
          >
          > j'
          >

          > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...>wrote:
          >
          >> thank you :-)
          >>
          >> On 16 August 2011 07:21, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> > I believe that answer to be yes.
          >> >

          >> an appropriate closing
          >> Adrian Miles
          >> about.me/vogmae

          > Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
          > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
          > -

          Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
          WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
        • theurbanreporter
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
            To confirm. I just spoke to my partner Chip Dizard who just bought an HD USB webcam.

            This video is unlisted but hopefully you'll believe me now :)

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKjdKQVlEg

            Amani Channel
            http:www.webvideochefs.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
              BTW When you say stream do want to live stream your web cam or just use it as a external video cam?

              ac

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
                As I say, except for bonafide webcams.

                Video camcorders are something else.

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
                  external video camera that captures straight into iMovie. It is for the
                  recording of circus performance auditions and they use it live in the
                  performance space, including for choreographing the entire show where they
                  move acts around in iMovie and see what happens.

                  On 17 August 2011 11:29, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:

                  > BTW When you say stream do want to live stream your web cam or just use it
                  > as a external video cam?

                  an appropriate closing
                  Adrian Miles
                  about.me/vogmae

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
                    > external video camera that captures straight into iMovie. It is for the
                    > recording of circus performance auditions and they use it live in the
                    > performance space, including for choreographing the entire show where they
                    > move acts around in iMovie and see what happens.

                    I know iMovie06 would let you record from any video source. It can
                    still be downloaded: http://goo.gl/ScbK
                    Assume it'd still work on the newer macs.
                    I loved the simple interface.

                    Jay
                  • Joly MacFie
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
                      Normally firewire in, though. That's the problem, many cameras/laptops today
                      don't have that firewire port. And the usb webcams don't have viewfinders,
                      zoom etc that one takes for granted on a regular camera - meanwhile, for
                      reasons I've never been able to fathom, camcorders just don't stream video
                      out via usb.

                      So, one can use a USB capture device, yes? However even that is fraught with
                      problems, for instance, say, the only USB device the latest version of
                      Livestream's Procaster client will recognize is the Black Magic Intensity,
                      which in turn will only work with USB 3.0 , which itself only is implemented
                      on a few not cheap laptops because it uses a different Intel chipset.

                      My own workarounds for live streaming have included mounting a separate
                      webcam on the top of the camcorder that I am taping on. My current set up
                      consists of feeding composite signals out of a couple of camcorders into a
                      $20 Radio Shack switcher and then an Avermedia
                      Gold<http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-MEZUSBGDR-DVD-EZMaker-Gold/dp/B000J5GZDC>USB
                      capture device. This works with an older version of Procaster, or
                      Flash
                      Media Encoder - and presumably would work for iMovie too.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
                        > Normally firewire in, though. That's the problem, many cameras/laptops today
                        > don't have that firewire port. And the usb webcams don't have viewfinders,
                        > zoom etc that one takes for granted on a regular camera - meanwhile, for
                        > reasons I've never been able to fathom, camcorders just don't stream video
                        > out via usb.
                        > So, one can use a USB capture device, yes? However even that is fraught with
                        > problems, for instance, say, the only USB device the latest version of
                        > Livestream's Procaster client will recognize is the Black Magic Intensity,
                        > which in turn will only work with USB 3.0 , which itself only is implemented
                        > on a few not cheap laptops because it uses a different Intel chipset.

                        Holy shit. I guess I didnt think through all the different issues with
                        each piece of hardware. I guess I would buy an older small camcorder
                        that has the firewire port. I just bought an old mini-dv camcorder on
                        ebay for $99 (it went for $800 three years ago). Nows the time to
                        stock up on old quality hardware before they stop selling it and the
                        stuff gets too beat up.

                        Jay
                      • Joly MacFie
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
                          What I have just started using for this purpose is a Toshiba Camileo - there
                          are two versions the H30 with 5x Zoom and the X100 with 10x Zoom. $135 -
                          $155. Running on battery or mains power not only will they capture HD
                          (albeit in an a ridiculous x.264 in an avi wrapper format that has to be
                          converted to edit) onto SDHC but also they have composite 'tv out' - which I
                          feed into my cheap switcher. The downside being that, as soon as one plugs
                          in the tv, the viewfinder switches off so they only work for static shots,
                          but very handy..