Equipment Info & Question

  • Marguerita
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2011
      Hi Everyone,

      I recently bought a Canon Vixia HF R20 for about $350 at Sam's Club and I'm thrilled with the quality of the recording. I had been using an Everio that was giving me increasingly scrambled images (sort of pixellated) and it was too frustrating for words.

      This camera only has a 8GB internal memory, but it has 2 card slots so I will probably be buying cards for it soon. Recording at full HD takes a lot of memory. If anyone has advice on SD cards, I'd love to hear it.

      I am upgrading my Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 to 11, after reading the reviews on Amazon about version 12 (lots of bad reviews).

      I recently rendered a 1 hour video for upload to YouTube and it took every resource that my poor old laptop had just to render. I had to upload from another computer and it took 40 hours to upload the 8GB file.

      I cleaned up my desktop and laptop and put all video clips on an external hard drive (did this about a year ago) and I find it's much easier now to stay organized.

      Well, I just wanted to share how happy I am with this new Canon. I hope everyone's having a great summer :)

      Marguerita
      My Quilting Videos - http://tinyurl.com/r6xxp4
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2011
        > I recently bought a Canon Vixia HF R20 for about $350 at Sam's Club and I'm thrilled with the quality of the recording. I had been using an Everio that was giving me increasingly scrambled images (sort of pixellated) and it was too frustrating for words.
        > This camera only has a 8GB internal memory, but it has 2 card slots so I will probably be buying cards for it soon. Recording at >full HD takes a lot of memory. If anyone has advice on SD cards, I'd love to hear it.

        REad your camera's manual to see if it needs a certain kind of SD. We
        just bought the biggest cards we could afford. 32GB.

        > I am upgrading my Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 to 11, after reading the reviews on Amazon about version 12 (lots of bad reviews).
        > I recently rendered a 1 hour video for upload to YouTube and it took every resource that my poor old laptop had just to render. I >had to upload from another computer and it took 40 hours to upload the 8GB file.

        Did you upload a 8GB file to youtube? I know they say to upload your
        best quality, but thats extreme. An hour shouldnt be any more than iGB
        even at 1080i.

      • Marguerita
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011
          > Did you upload a 8GB file to youtube? I know they say to upload your
          > best quality, but thats extreme. An hour shouldnt be any more than iGB
          > even at 1080i.
          >
          > Jay

          Yes, I did upload an 8GB file, mostly because I have no idea what I am doing. I rendered using Vegas presets for HD output, to MP2, and that's what I ended up with. It may that big also because of some of the file sizes of photos that are included in the video. I'm learning as I go :)

          Thanks,
          Marguerita
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011
            > Yes, I did upload an 8GB file, mostly because I have no idea what I am doing. I rendered using Vegas presets for HD output, to MP2, and that's what I ended up with. It may that big also because of some of the file sizes of photos that are included in the video. >I'm learning as I go :)

            Its not a mistake, especially if Youtube accepted. Usually you want to
            try to convert to an MP4. Im sure theres a tutorial on youtube showing
            you how to do this our of Vegas. Transcoding has always been a dark
            art.

            Jay
          • Gabriel Soucheyre
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
              Hi bes way is to use mpegstreamclip to open your file and then convert it to mp4 (check on vimeo website, they give all the useful and simple information).
              good luck
              gabriel

              Le 31 juil. 2011 � 21:26, Jay dedman a �crit :

              > > Yes, I did upload an 8GB file, mostly because I have no idea what I am doing. I rendered using Vegas presets for HD output, to MP2, and that's what I ended up with. It may that big also because of some of the file sizes of photos that are included in the video. >I'm learning as I go :)
              >
              > Its not a mistake, especially if Youtube accepted. Usually you want to
              > try to convert to an MP4. Im sure theres a tutorial on youtube showing
              > you how to do this our of Vegas. Transcoding has always been a dark
              > art.
              >
              > Jay

              Gabriel Soucheyre

              Certifi� Arts, Cin�ma et Audiovisuel
              Editions Num�riques
              Membre du Laboratoire d'esth�tique et d'exp�rimentations de l'espace
              Universit� d'Auvergne
              leee : www.labo-leee.org
              Vid�aste
              http://artists.jimdo.com/
              http://gabriel-soucheyre.jimdo.com/ )

              Gabriel.SOUCHEYRE@...
              D�partement des m�tiers de la culture
              Sp�cialit� du livre et des �ditions num�riques
              Universit� Blaise Pascal
              CLERMONT-FERRAND
              --
              VIDEOFORMES vid�o et nouveaux m�dias dans l'art contemporain
              www.videoformes.com

              Contribuez � la protection de l'environnement, n'imprimez ce mail qu'en cas de n�cessit�
              Help the environment, print out this e-mail only if you need to.