Re: [videoblogging] Creative Commons on YouTube finally

  • Mary Hodder
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
      The reason YT is doing this is because their lawyers define the YT site as "commercial"
      so they are saying the videos all have to be commercial CC licenses because YT is showing them
      commercially.

      That's different than Flickr, which says the video or photo can be shown at Flickr and it's okay
      if it's licensed to the rest of the world as NC.. because the agreement is that Flickr can use
      and show them regardless... Flickr shares videos and photos through their API
      and through framing/embedding.. so you can embed the video or photo elsewhere.. but you can only
      do that if the user chooses the NC SA license. If the user chooses NC, Flickr won't even share
      a photo link through search or discovery (like a tags list) outside their own site.

      YT is different. They say you don't have to share the video outside (embedding rights)... so no SA requirement.. but you
      do have to allow for Commercial use.. because YT is a commercial site.

      They probably feel they are being more consistent than if they went with Flickr's interpretation and use of the CC rules.

      On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Joly MacFie wrote:

      > > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use.
      >
      > Well, no diff from Wikipedia in that respect. I'm surprised they didn't go
      > for SA as well

      > On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
      >
      > > > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use. Maybe if enough
      > > > people write, they'll
      > > > offer a non-commercial option.
      > > >
      > > http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/06/youtube-and-creative-commons-raising.html
      > >
      > > Very true. I know the head lawywe for Creative Commons was hired by
      > > google a couple years ago. I assume its small steps. Its pretty big
      > > news that Youtube is even offering any choice at all for CC. Remember
      > > that what this does is educate people on a different avenue other than
      > > the traditional, but broken, copyright system. People should
      > > definitely keep pushing.
      > >
      > > Jay
      > >
      > > --
      > > 917 371 6790
      > > 540 860 0673

    • Joly MacFie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
        Point taken on commercial Mary. And SA would confuse the issue and limit the
        creativity of remixers to use all kinds of other restricted material
        including their own copyrighted stuff. OTOH the whole point of SA and why
        it's a pillar of the the free culture community is that every use aggregates
        more into the common pool.

        Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
        WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
      • Mary Hodder
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
          oopss.. i meant this:
          so you can embed the video or photo
          > elsewhere.. but you can only
          > do that if the user chooses the CA SA license. If the user chooses NC,
          > Flickr won't even share it

          Joly..

          I get that YT could be doing this better and they should.. but 6 years ago I talked to Steve Chen
          about it.. and they weren't really interested in adding CC licenses to YT.. so should we be grateful
          now that all these years later they are?

          I think they are way behind the curve...

          mary

        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
            Ah, I am just catching up with Boing Boing - it's a baby steps scenario

            http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/01/youtube-introduces-c.html

            At launch, YouTube reps told me over the phone earlier today, only the one