Re: [videoblogging] Creative Commons on YouTube finally

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
      > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use. Maybe if enough
      > people write, they'll
      > offer a non-commercial option.
      > http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/06/youtube-and-creative-commons-raising.html

      Very true. I know the head lawywe for Creative Commons was hired by
      google a couple years ago. I assume its small steps. Its pretty big
      news that Youtube is even offering any choice at all for CC. Remember
      that what this does is educate people on a different avenue other than
      the traditional, but broken, copyright system. People should
      definitely keep pushing.

    • Joly MacFie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
        > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use.

        Well, no diff from Wikipedia in that respect. I'm surprised they didn't go
        for SA as well

        On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

        > > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use. Maybe if enough
        > > people write, they'll
        > > offer a non-commercial option.
        > >
        > http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/06/youtube-and-creative-commons-raising.html
        >
        > Very true. I know the head lawywe for Creative Commons was hired by
        > google a couple years ago. I assume its small steps. Its pretty big
        > news that Youtube is even offering any choice at all for CC. Remember
        > that what this does is educate people on a different avenue other than
        > the traditional, but broken, copyright system. People should
        > definitely keep pushing.

        > 917 371 6790
        > 540 860 0673

        Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
        WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
      • Mary Hodder
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
          The reason YT is doing this is because their lawyers define the YT site as "commercial"
          so they are saying the videos all have to be commercial CC licenses because YT is showing them
          commercially.

          That's different than Flickr, which says the video or photo can be shown at Flickr and it's okay
          if it's licensed to the rest of the world as NC.. because the agreement is that Flickr can use
          and show them regardless... Flickr shares videos and photos through their API
          and through framing/embedding.. so you can embed the video or photo elsewhere.. but you can only
          do that if the user chooses the NC SA license. If the user chooses NC, Flickr won't even share
          a photo link through search or discovery (like a tags list) outside their own site.

          YT is different. They say you don't have to share the video outside (embedding rights)... so no SA requirement.. but you
          do have to allow for Commercial use.. because YT is a commercial site.

          They probably feel they are being more consistent than if they went with Flickr's interpretation and use of the CC rules.

          On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Joly MacFie wrote:

          > > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use.
          >
          > Well, no diff from Wikipedia in that respect. I'm surprised they didn't go
          > for SA as well

          > On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
          >
          > > > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use. Maybe if enough
          > > > people write, they'll
          > > > offer a non-commercial option.
          > > >
          > > http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/06/youtube-and-creative-commons-raising.html
          > >
          > > Very true. I know the head lawywe for Creative Commons was hired by
          > > google a couple years ago. I assume its small steps. Its pretty big
          > > news that Youtube is even offering any choice at all for CC. Remember
          > > that what this does is educate people on a different avenue other than
          > > the traditional, but broken, copyright system. People should
          > > definitely keep pushing.
          > >
          > > Jay
          > >
          > > --
          > > 917 371 6790
          > > 540 860 0673

        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
            Point taken on commercial Mary. And SA would confuse the issue and limit the
            creativity of remixers to use all kinds of other restricted material
            including their own copyrighted stuff. OTOH the whole point of SA and why
            it's a pillar of the the free culture community is that every use aggregates
            more into the common pool.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
              oopss.. i meant this:
              so you can embed the video or photo
              > elsewhere.. but you can only
              > do that if the user chooses the CA SA license. If the user chooses NC,
              > Flickr won't even share it

              Joly..

              I get that YT could be doing this better and they should.. but 6 years ago I talked to Steve Chen
              about it.. and they weren't really interested in adding CC licenses to YT.. so should we be grateful
              now that all these years later they are?

              I think they are way behind the curve...

              mary

            • Joly MacFie
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
                Ah, I am just catching up with Boing Boing - it's a baby steps scenario

                http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/01/youtube-introduces-c.html

                At launch, YouTube reps told me over the phone earlier today, only the one