Creative Commons on YouTube finally

  • Steve Rhodes
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
      Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use. Maybe if enough
      people write, they'll
      offer a non-commercial option.

      http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/06/youtube-and-creative-commons-raising.html

      ______

      Steve Rhodes

      http://flickr.com/photos/ari/ photos

      http://twitter.com/tigerbeat

      @tigerbeat on instagram
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
        > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use. Maybe if enough
        > people write, they'll
        > offer a non-commercial option.
        > http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/06/youtube-and-creative-commons-raising.html

        Very true. I know the head lawywe for Creative Commons was hired by
        google a couple years ago. I assume its small steps. Its pretty big
        news that Youtube is even offering any choice at all for CC. Remember
        that what this does is educate people on a different avenue other than
        the traditional, but broken, copyright system. People should
        definitely keep pushing.

      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
          > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use.

          Well, no diff from Wikipedia in that respect. I'm surprised they didn't go
          for SA as well

          On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

          > > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use. Maybe if enough
          > > people write, they'll
          > > offer a non-commercial option.
          > >
          > http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/06/youtube-and-creative-commons-raising.html
          >
          > Very true. I know the head lawywe for Creative Commons was hired by
          > google a couple years ago. I assume its small steps. Its pretty big
          > news that Youtube is even offering any choice at all for CC. Remember
          > that what this does is educate people on a different avenue other than
          > the traditional, but broken, copyright system. People should
          > definitely keep pushing.

          > 917 371 6790
          > 540 860 0673

          Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
          WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
        • Mary Hodder
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
            The reason YT is doing this is because their lawyers define the YT site as "commercial"
            so they are saying the videos all have to be commercial CC licenses because YT is showing them
            commercially.

            That's different than Flickr, which says the video or photo can be shown at Flickr and it's okay
            if it's licensed to the rest of the world as NC.. because the agreement is that Flickr can use
            and show them regardless... Flickr shares videos and photos through their API
            and through framing/embedding.. so you can embed the video or photo elsewhere.. but you can only
            do that if the user chooses the NC SA license. If the user chooses NC, Flickr won't even share
            a photo link through search or discovery (like a tags list) outside their own site.

            YT is different. They say you don't have to share the video outside (embedding rights)... so no SA requirement.. but you
            do have to allow for Commercial use.. because YT is a commercial site.

            They probably feel they are being more consistent than if they went with Flickr's interpretation and use of the CC rules.

            On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Joly MacFie wrote:

            > > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use.
            >
            > Well, no diff from Wikipedia in that respect. I'm surprised they didn't go
            > for SA as well

            > On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
            >
            > > > Unfortunately, the only option is commercial use. Maybe if enough
            > > > people write, they'll
            > > > offer a non-commercial option.
            > > >
            > > http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/06/youtube-and-creative-commons-raising.html
            > >
            > > Very true. I know the head lawywe for Creative Commons was hired by
            > > google a couple years ago. I assume its small steps. Its pretty big
            > > news that Youtube is even offering any choice at all for CC. Remember
            > > that what this does is educate people on a different avenue other than
            > > the traditional, but broken, copyright system. People should
            > > definitely keep pushing.
            > >
            > > Jay
            > >
            > > --
            > > 917 371 6790
            > > 540 860 0673

          • Joly MacFie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
              Point taken on commercial Mary. And SA would confuse the issue and limit the
              creativity of remixers to use all kinds of other restricted material
              including their own copyrighted stuff. OTOH the whole point of SA and why
              it's a pillar of the the free culture community is that every use aggregates
              more into the common pool.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
                oopss.. i meant this:
                so you can embed the video or photo
                > elsewhere.. but you can only
                > do that if the user chooses the CA SA license. If the user chooses NC,
                > Flickr won't even share it

                Joly..

                I get that YT could be doing this better and they should.. but 6 years ago I talked to Steve Chen
                about it.. and they weren't really interested in adding CC licenses to YT.. so should we be grateful
                now that all these years later they are?

                I think they are way behind the curve...

                mary

              • Joly MacFie
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
                  Ah, I am just catching up with Boing Boing - it's a baby steps scenario

                  http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/01/youtube-introduces-c.html

                  At launch, YouTube reps told me over the phone earlier today, only the one