Re: [videoblogging] Xacti import question; mac/pc

  • Lisa Rein
    Message 1 of 17 , May 24, 2011
      ok, i did a little research, and it looks like if you install "vista
      service pack 2" and the "Platform update for Windows Vista"
      -- you're good to go:

      http://explore.live.com/windows-live-2011-system-requirements

      1. Here's the link to service pack 2:

      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd262148.aspx

      2. "Platform Update for Windows Vista" (manual download) is here:

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/community/user/1870804.aspx

      3. Then you can download/install windows live moviemaker:

      http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker?os=other

      Remember to reboot in-between steps 1 and 2 and again before doing step 3.

      thanks!

      lisa

      > Hi Chad! Thanks so much for chiming in :-)
      >
      > I heard that Windows Live Moviemaker will handle all. But... will it work
      > in Vista? I'm afraid Vista will let us upgrade to Windows Live Moviemaker,
      > and then, it won't work right in Vista.
      >
      > thanks!!
      >
      > lisa
      >
      >> Just to chime in here, in case any Windows 7 users have this question.
      >> Windows Live Moviemaker on my Windows 7 laptop edits the 1080P MP4 video
      >> from my Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG102 just fine. No conversions necessary.
      >> Sony
      >> Vegas 10 (trial version) also worked great with the files from the
      >> Xacti.

      >>> of
      >>> the
      >>> utility
      >>>
      >>> http://www.squared5.com/ is the ticket. It'll transcode from anything
      >>> to almost anything else. Your experience is exactly why we need an
      >>> open source editor that works on any platform. Should handle any codec
      >>> like VLC does. I can dream.
      >>>
      >>> Jay
      >>>
      >>> --
      >>> 917 371 6790
      >>> 540 860 0673
      >>>

      >> --
      >> Chad F. Boeninger
      >> libraryvoice.com
      >> twitter.com/cfboeninger

      > Lisa Rein
      >
      > http://onlisareinsradar.com
      > http://www.lisarein.com

      Lisa Rein

      http://onlisareinsradar.com
      http://www.lisarein.com
    • Joly MacFie
      Message 2 of 17 , May 24, 2011
        So long ago I'd forgotten. But yes. Well done.

        Win 7 is well worth the upgrade, especially the 64bit version.

        Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
        WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
      • Lisa Rein
        Message 3 of 17 , May 24, 2011
          Hey Joly :-)

          Not so well done actually. The link I had to the platform update didn't
          work, and another link (for the same thing) said it didn't apply to my
          platform (or something)...

          Turned out we already had sp2 for vista installed, so we tried Windows
          Live Movie Maker. But it worked like the old version (of windows movie
          maker: not handling the mp4 correctly).

          So we're looking at the sony vegas page... and wondering if it bundles the
          libraries we need WITHIN ITS DISTRIBUTION -- making it easily worth the 50
          bucks. Do ya know? :-))

          thanks!

          lisa

          Message 4 of 17 , May 24, 2011
            The demo is free. I use the pro myself. I can't say for sure.

            Message 5 of 17 , May 25, 2011
              Hi guys,

              Just following up on my adventure.

              So we tried to install the Vista Platform Update (we already had SP2
              installed) - but it said we didn't need it
              -- however, Windows Live Moviemaker still couldn't process the mp4s.

              I was wondering if Vegas perhaps bundled the necessary graphics libraries
              for Vista within its own download, and maybe that's why they say it will
              work on vista?

              anyway -- we're about to take the xacti back, if this doesn't get any
              easier quickly. (I haven't even began to trouble shoot the mac side yet :(

              thanks!

              lisa

              Message 6 of 17 , May 25, 2011
                > anyway -- we're about to take the xacti back, if this doesn't get any
                > easier quickly. (I haven't even began to trouble shoot the mac side yet :(

                Yeah, there's lots of new cameras these days for cheap. But on the
                mac, you should be able to use MPEG Streamclip to convert the files.
                Again, its too bad files just dont work.