Re: [videoblogging] Xacti import question; mac/pc

  • Lisa Rein
    Message 1 of 17 , May 24, 2011
      ok I will try it! thanks! :-)
      >> 1. I will read the page in greater detail for a mac fix. I see some of
      >> the
      >> readers suggested converting the mp4s to dv. Do you recommend a utility
      >> for this?
      >
      > http://www.squared5.com/ is the ticket. It'll transcode from anything
      > to almost anything else. Your experience is exactly why we need an
      > open source editor that works on any platform. Should handle any codec
      > like VLC does. I can dream.

      > 917 371 6790
      > 540 860 0673

      Lisa Rein

      http://onlisareinsradar.com
      http://www.lisarein.com
    • Lisa Rein
      Message 2 of 17 , May 24, 2011
        I'm having trouble running this. I've extracted the zip file, and tried to
        launch "MPEG_Streamclip.exe" and it keeps asking me to "please extract
        mpeg streamclip from the zip file"

        thanks! :)

        lisa

        > ok I will try it! thanks! :-)
        >>> 1. I will read the page in greater detail for a mac fix. I see some of
        >>> the
        >>> readers suggested converting the mp4s to dv. Do you recommend a utility
        >>> for this?
        >>
        >> http://www.squared5.com/ is the ticket. It'll transcode from anything
        >> to almost anything else. Your experience is exactly why we need an
        >> open source editor that works on any platform. Should handle any codec
        >> like VLC does. I can dream.
        >>
        >> Jay
        >>
        >> --
        >> 917 371 6790
        >> 540 860 0673
        >>

        > Lisa Rein
        >
        > http://onlisareinsradar.com
        > http://www.lisarein.com

        Lisa Rein

        http://onlisareinsradar.com
        http://www.lisarein.com
      • Chad Boeninger
        Message 3 of 17 , May 24, 2011
          Just to chime in here, in case any Windows 7 users have this question.
          Windows Live Moviemaker on my Windows 7 laptop edits the 1080P MP4 video
          from my Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG102 just fine. No conversions necessary. Sony
          Vegas 10 (trial version) also worked great with the files from the Xacti.

          --
          Chad F. Boeninger
          libraryvoice.com

        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 17 , May 24, 2011
            I'll also chime in here. Vegas on the PC will take practically anything you
            throw at it and, very often, adjust for differences in media without even
            needing a tweak.

            The only time I ever have problems are with files exported from macs :) and
            also, for some reason, dvd recorders.

            I have read that that there are probs with blu-ray native files due to some
            kind of drm block, but I am yet to encounter that.

            Also Vegas doesn't use video card memory, except sometimes in rendering.

            On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Chad Boeninger <cfboeninger@...>wrote:

            > Just to chime in here, in case any Windows 7 users have this question.
            > Windows Live Moviemaker on my Windows 7 laptop edits the 1080P MP4 video
            > from my Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG102 just fine. No conversions necessary. Sony
            > Vegas 10 (trial version) also worked great with the files from the Xacti.

            Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
            WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
          • Lisa Rein
            Message 5 of 17 , May 24, 2011
              Hi Chad! Thanks so much for chiming in :-)

              I heard that Windows Live Moviemaker will handle all. But... will it work
              in Vista? I'm afraid Vista will let us upgrade to Windows Live Moviemaker,
              and then, it won't work right in Vista.

              thanks!!

              lisa

              > Just to chime in here, in case any Windows 7 users have this question.
              > Windows Live Moviemaker on my Windows 7 laptop edits the 1080P MP4 video
              > from my Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG102 just fine. No conversions necessary. Sony
              > Vegas 10 (trial version) also worked great with the files from the Xacti.
              >
              > On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
              >

              >> > 1. I will read the page in greater detail for a mac fix. I see some of
              >> the
              >> > readers suggested converting the mp4s to dv. Do you recommend a
              >> utility
              >> > for this?
              >>
              >> http://www.squared5.com/ is the ticket. It'll transcode from anything
              >> to almost anything else. Your experience is exactly why we need an
              >> open source editor that works on any platform. Should handle any codec
              >> like VLC does. I can dream.
              >>
              >> Jay
              >>
              >> --
              >> 917 371 6790
              >> 540 860 0673
              >>

              > --
              > Chad F. Boeninger
              > libraryvoice.com
              > twitter.com/cfboeninger

              Lisa Rein

              http://onlisareinsradar.com
              http://www.lisarein.com
            • Lisa Rein
              Message 6 of 17 , May 24, 2011
                Will Vegas work in Vista?

                thanks!!

                lisa

                Message 7 of 17 , May 24, 2011
                  ok, i did a little research, and it looks like if you install "vista
                  service pack 2" and the "Platform update for Windows Vista"
                  -- you're good to go:

                  http://explore.live.com/windows-live-2011-system-requirements

                  1. Here's the link to service pack 2:

                  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd262148.aspx

                  2. "Platform Update for Windows Vista" (manual download) is here:

                  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/community/user/1870804.aspx

                  3. Then you can download/install windows live moviemaker:

                  http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker?os=other

                  Remember to reboot in-between steps 1 and 2 and again before doing step 3.

                  thanks!

                  lisa

                  > Hi Chad! Thanks so much for chiming in :-)
                  >
                  > I heard that Windows Live Moviemaker will handle all. But... will it work
                  > in Vista? I'm afraid Vista will let us upgrade to Windows Live Moviemaker,
                  > and then, it won't work right in Vista.
                  >
                  > thanks!!
                  >
                  > lisa
                  >
                  >> Just to chime in here, in case any Windows 7 users have this question.
                  >> Windows Live Moviemaker on my Windows 7 laptop edits the 1080P MP4 video
                  >> from my Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG102 just fine. No conversions necessary.
                  >> Sony
                  >> Vegas 10 (trial version) also worked great with the files from the
                  >> Xacti.

                  >>> of
                  >>> the
                  >>> utility
                  >>>
                  >>> http://www.squared5.com/ is the ticket. It'll transcode from anything
                  >>> to almost anything else. Your experience is exactly why we need an
                  >>> open source editor that works on any platform. Should handle any codec
                  >>> like VLC does. I can dream.
                  >>>
                  >>> Jay
                  >>>
                  >>> --
                  >>> 917 371 6790
                  >>> 540 860 0673
                  >>>

                  >> --
                  >> Chad F. Boeninger
                  >> libraryvoice.com
                  >> twitter.com/cfboeninger

                  > Lisa Rein
                  >
                  > http://onlisareinsradar.com
                  > http://www.lisarein.com

                  Lisa Rein

                  http://onlisareinsradar.com
                  http://www.lisarein.com
                • Joly MacFie
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 24, 2011
                    So long ago I'd forgotten. But yes. Well done.

                    Win 7 is well worth the upgrade, especially the 64bit version.

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 24, 2011
                      Hey Joly :-)

                      Not so well done actually. The link I had to the platform update didn't
                      work, and another link (for the same thing) said it didn't apply to my
                      platform (or something)...

                      Turned out we already had sp2 for vista installed, so we tried Windows
                      Live Movie Maker. But it worked like the old version (of windows movie
                      maker: not handling the mp4 correctly).

                      So we're looking at the sony vegas page... and wondering if it bundles the
                      libraries we need WITHIN ITS DISTRIBUTION -- making it easily worth the 50
                      bucks. Do ya know? :-))

                      thanks!

                      lisa

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 24, 2011
                        The demo is free. I use the pro myself. I can't say for sure.

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 25, 2011
                          Hi guys,

                          Just following up on my adventure.

                          So we tried to install the Vista Platform Update (we already had SP2
                          installed) - but it said we didn't need it
                          -- however, Windows Live Moviemaker still couldn't process the mp4s.

                          I was wondering if Vegas perhaps bundled the necessary graphics libraries
                          for Vista within its own download, and maybe that's why they say it will
                          work on vista?

                          anyway -- we're about to take the xacti back, if this doesn't get any
                          easier quickly. (I haven't even began to trouble shoot the mac side yet :(

                          thanks!

                          lisa

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 25, 2011
                            > anyway -- we're about to take the xacti back, if this doesn't get any
                            > easier quickly. (I haven't even began to trouble shoot the mac side yet :(

                            Yeah, there's lots of new cameras these days for cheap. But on the
                            mac, you should be able to use MPEG Streamclip to convert the files.
                            Again, its too bad files just dont work.