Video camera as USB webcam (was camera suggestion for educational videos)

  • Joly MacFie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2011
      > 7. Can use as a webcam? This one is not a dealbreaker, but it would be
      > nice if you could use it as a webcam for things like Ustream or to use as a
      > webcam for Adobe Connect..

      On this last point. I recently investigated this myself and, hard to credit,
      but it seems impossible to find ANY kosher video camera that will stream
      live via USB as a webcam. I've no idea what the problem is.

      Since my new bargain laptop has neither firewire or PCMCIA I went out and
      bought an avermedia c038
      http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/product/productdetail.aspx?id=188 which I
      can feed component video into from my A1U HDV cam and my old TRV900's. Even
      that is not recognized by most apps, but fortunately it *does* work with
      Livestream's procaster. A $20 A/V switcher allows me to switch cams on the
      fly, albeit with anoisy clcik and the occasional flash of blue screen.

      I think you may have to face up to including some kind of conversion device
      in your budget, maybe from HDMI to USB - but it's worth doing because the
      regular webcams just don't give you the kind of shooting flexibility you
      need, especially when shooting presentations when you occasionaly need to
      zoom fairly closely to provide meaningful content at 500kbps or less.

      I'd be very happy to hear from others on this topic.

      Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
      WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com