camera suggestion for educational videos

  • Chad Boeninger
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2011
      Hi all,
      We have some end-of-year funds, and I'd like to get a decent video camera
      for our library staff to use. We would be filming events, speakers,
      educational videos, virtual tours, etc. I was wondering if you had some
      suggestions. Some initial criteria are as follows:

      1. Easy to use for beginners, but would like it to have some manual
      controls (white balance, aperture, exposure, etc) for more advanced users
      2. File format easy to use with Windows Live Movie Maker and iMovie (I have
      concerns with AVCHD). With our users, I would want to just be able to drag
      the video clip onto the editor timeline and start editing. Users won't use
      the camera if they have to know too much about file formats and conversions.

      3. Flash card storage. Our Windows 7 staff machines are powerful enough to
      edit 1080P video from my Xacti, but they don't have firewire ports. USB
      interface and flash storage is required.
      4. Budge of less than $1200
      5. Microphone input if possible
      6. Decent low-light video (we'll primarily be filming inside the building)
      7. Can use as a webcam? This one is not a dealbreaker, but it would be
      nice if you could use it as a webcam for things like Ustream or to use as a
      webcam for Adobe Connect..

      We're not going for Hollywood here, but just need something that is easy to
      use, yet scalable for varying levels of expertise.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks in advance!

      --Chad

      --
      Chad F. Boeninger
      libraryvoice.com

      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2011
        > We have some end-of-year funds, and I'd like to get a decent video camera
        > for our library staff to use. We would be filming events, speakers,
        > educational videos, virtual tours, etc. I was wondering if you had some
        > suggestions. Some initial criteria are as follows:
        > 1. Easy to use for beginners, but would like it to have some manual
        > controls (white balance, aperture, exposure, etc) for more advanced users
        > 2. File format easy to use with Windows Live Movie Maker and iMovie (I have
        > concerns with AVCHD). With our users, I would want to just be able to drag
        > the video clip onto the editor timeline and start editing. Users won't use
        > the camera if they have to know too much about file formats and conversions.

        Quick question. What is your perfect file format that you think will
        work seamlessly? I cant think of any format that would work in both
        Movie maker and iMovie without conversion.

        And glad Youtube restored your account. As someone suggested, maybe
        someone just hit the wrong button.

      • Chad Boeninger
        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2011
          Hi Jay,
          Thanks for the response. The MP4 files from my Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG102 work
          like a charm in Windows Live Movie Maker. I'm assuming they also work okay
          in iMovie as well, but I haven't had the occasion to try.

          Admittedly, my wish list may be a little too restrictive, but it can be
          refined. As with all tech and such, there are tradeoffs for everything.

          --Chad

          --
          Chad F. Boeninger
          libraryvoice.com

          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2011
            > Thanks for the response.  The MP4 files from my Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG102 work
            > like a charm in Windows Live Movie Maker.  I'm assuming they also work okay
            > in iMovie as well, but I haven't had the occasion to try.
            > Admittedly, my wish list may be a little too restrictive, but it can be
            > refined.  As with all tech and such, there are tradeoffs for everything.

            Ill let others chime in. We've been using a DSLR to shoot
            professionally this year. Great images, all saved to SD card. But you
            have to juggle a couple lenses which would probably not be good for an
            institution.

            Id also like to know what HD camcorder people suggest at $1200.

          • tom_a_sparks
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2011
              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Chad Boeninger <cfboeninger@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > We have some end-of-year funds, and I'd like to get a decent video camera
              > for our library staff to use. We would be filming events, speakers,
              > educational videos, virtual tours, etc. I was wondering if you had some
              > suggestions. Some initial criteria are as follows:
              >
              > 1. Easy to use for beginners, but would like it to have some manual
              > controls (white balance, aperture, exposure, etc) for more advanced users

              I just found these papers that may help you

              https://www.movesinstitute.org/Video/Courses/X3dForWebAuthors/BestPracticesWorkflowsClassroomVideoTechnicalReportApril2009.pdf

              http://www.epiphan.com/solutions_new/?arid=46

              tom