Re: [videoblogging] CISCO Dumps The Flip Camcorder

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
      On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Jim Turner <jturner@...> wrote:
      > Gena I am interested in how they intend to "transition" the current users.
      > I am wondering if we won't soon hear about a company that is purchasing the
      > asset from Cisco.  The problem seems to be that smartphones are taking over
      > the market for pocket camcorders.

      Yeah, Id be surprised if they didnt just sell the brand. I think Cisco
      is actually just a huge corporation that realized making consumer
      cameras isnt its business. They make billions building digital
      infrastructure, so the $50 million they made on cameras was chump
      change.

    • compumavengal
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
        Well $50 million here and $400 million there is the kind of money I'd like to suffer with stretching to make do. I think what will happen is that they will find a company to fork people over for limited technical support and pumping the rest of the camcorders out to 3rd and 4th level retailers.

        I would hope that they would hook up with a known photo manufacture like Nikon or Kodak who could re-envision the camcorder to be more attractive.

        There will be people who still want what the camcorder can do. Yes I can shoot video with my smartphone but honestly not everybody has one or an iPhone/iTouch or a contract/data service plan.

        If it went on sale for $60 I think there would be a mad dash to pick one up. It could be this generations PXL2000.

        I so regret not buying that sucker, the PXL2000, silver video on a cassette tape.

        Sigh,

        Gena