Editing H264 in iMovie 11

  • John Coffey
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13 7:02 AM
      With all the news of FCP X, I'd like to bring up the question of editing H264 files directly in iMovie 11. A few years back there was a group thread about how you needed to transcode video files to DV for iMovie to play nice with edits and titles. Imovie 11 seems to play nice for me now working with the H264 files I shoot with my Sanyo xacti. I'm I correct it this assumption?
      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13 7:16 AM
        > With all the news of FCP X, I'd like to bring up the question of editing H264 files directly in iMovie 11. A few years back there was a group thread about how you needed to transcode video files to DV for iMovie to play nice with edits and titles. Imovie 11 seems to play nice for me now working with the H264 files I shoot with my Sanyo xacti. I'm I correct it this assumption?
        > Thanks!

        Id like to hear other people chime in, but yes, the new latest iMovie
        edits H264 files without need for transcoding. As you said, that's
        supposedly a big plus of the new FCP.

      • David Lee King
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13 8:43 AM
          Yeah, that's how I read it. And yep - iMovie likes my Xacti videos, but FCE
          doesn't - I dump the videos into a transcoder first. It sounds like the new
          FCP will do that automatically, just like iMovie - which will save a bunch
          of time.

          David Lee King
          davidleeking.com - blog
          davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog