CISCO Dumps The Flip Camcorder

  • compumavengal
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011
      I saw this news item on the way home. Here are some sources to check out:

      The Unofficial Apple Weblog http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/12/cisco-to-shutter-flip-camera-line/

      Prior owner sad about the decision speaking with Kara from All Things Digital http://kara.allthingsd.com/20110412/video-after-cisco-sacrifices-his-baby-to-the-gods-of-wall-street-flip-founder-jon-kaplan-speaks/

      Bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-12/cisco-to-close-flip-video-camera-business-as-part-of-consumer-unit-revamp.html

      I understand it wasn't a part of the core business but dang, that is a lot of Flippers kicked to the curb.

      Gena
      http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
      http://creatvideonotebook.blogspot.com
    • Jim Turner
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
        Gena I am interested in how they intend to "transition" the current users.
        I am wondering if we won't soon hear about a company that is purchasing the
        asset from Cisco. The problem seems to be that smartphones are taking over
        the market for pocket camcorders.

        Jim

        --
        Jim Turner
        One By One Media, LLC

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
          On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Jim Turner <jturner@...> wrote:
          > Gena I am interested in how they intend to "transition" the current users.
          > I am wondering if we won't soon hear about a company that is purchasing the
          > asset from Cisco.  The problem seems to be that smartphones are taking over
          > the market for pocket camcorders.

          Yeah, Id be surprised if they didnt just sell the brand. I think Cisco
          is actually just a huge corporation that realized making consumer
          cameras isnt its business. They make billions building digital
          infrastructure, so the $50 million they made on cameras was chump
          change.

        • compumavengal
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
            Well $50 million here and $400 million there is the kind of money I'd like to suffer with stretching to make do. I think what will happen is that they will find a company to fork people over for limited technical support and pumping the rest of the camcorders out to 3rd and 4th level retailers.

            I would hope that they would hook up with a known photo manufacture like Nikon or Kodak who could re-envision the camcorder to be more attractive.

            There will be people who still want what the camcorder can do. Yes I can shoot video with my smartphone but honestly not everybody has one or an iPhone/iTouch or a contract/data service plan.

            If it went on sale for $60 I think there would be a mad dash to pick one up. It could be this generations PXL2000.

            I so regret not buying that sucker, the PXL2000, silver video on a cassette tape.

            Sigh,

            Gena