online way to convert mov files to h.264 mp4

  • Julian Seery Gude
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2011
      Hi Gang,

      Do you know of any online services that convert mov files to h.264 mp4?

      I'm trying to make mov files editable on an iPad2 without need to first
      convert them on a Mac or PC using an app like mpeg streamclip.

      You might ask why anyone would want to do this! I'm looking for an
      all-mobile video editing solution on the iPad that doesn't require that I
      have my regular laptop handy.

      While the iPad can PLAY mov formats, iMovie can't edit anything but h.264
      mp4.

      Thanks for any tips or other workarounds you may be aware of.

      --
      Julian Seery Gude
      julian@...

    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2011
        probably depends on original format. mov is a container, h.264 a format. so
        if for example you started with h.264 in .mov container then problem
        wouldn't exist. if it isn't already h.264 then google suggests:
        http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp4

        but the simplest option if this is for someone making (rather than service
        you want to provide to others) I would think is to shoot in h.264 (iphone,
        xacti, etc). might also help with transcoding compression issues too
        (artefacts, etc).

        On 30 March 2011 04:21, Julian Seery Gude <julian@...> wrote:

        > Do you know of any online services that convert mov files to h.264 mp4?
        >
        > I'm trying to make mov files editable on an iPad2 without need to first
        > convert them on a Mac or PC using an app like mpeg streamclip.
        >
        > You might ask why anyone would want to do this! I'm looking for an
        > all-mobile video editing solution on the iPad that doesn't require that I
        > have my regular laptop handy.
        >
        > While the iPad can PLAY mov formats, iMovie can't edit anything but h.264
        > mp4.
        >
        > Thanks for any tips or other workarounds you may be aware of.

        an appropriate closing
        Adrian Miles
        School of Media and Communication
        Program Director B.Comm Honours
        vogmae.net.au/research/contact-me/

      • tom_a_sparks
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2011
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Julian Seery Gude <julian@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gang,
          >
          > Do you know of any online services that convert mov files to h.264 mp4?
          >
          > I'm trying to make mov files editable on an iPad2 without need to first
          > convert them on a Mac or PC using an app like mpeg streamclip.
          >
          > You might ask why anyone would want to do this! I'm looking for an
          > all-mobile video editing solution on the iPad that doesn't require that I
          > have my regular laptop handy.
          >
          > While the iPad can PLAY mov formats, iMovie can't edit anything but h.264
          > mp4.
          >
          > Thanks for any tips or other workarounds you may be aware of.

          "If you would prefer to not have to deal with encoding your videos into multiple formats, you should obtain a trial account with Kaltura and request a support technician setup your account to provide html5 flavored video codecs." - http://www.kaltura.org/project/HTML5_Video_Media_JavaScript_Library

          there are web host that allow you to use ffmpeg

          tom
        • Julian Seery Gude
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2011
            Adrian,

            Surely you are heaven sent! That worked the charm. THANKS SO MUCH.

            While I'm thanking Adrian I'll pass along related news that I saw that Vimeo
            added an iPhone/iPad app today. I mention it because so many people here use
            Vimeo and also because you can do basic video editing on the app,
            circumventing the need to use iMovie if you'd prefer not to.

            http://vimeo.com/blog:398

            cheers, and thanks again Adrian!

            /julian

            On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...>wrote:

            > probably depends on original format. mov is a container, h.264 a format. so
            > if for example you started with h.264 in .mov container then problem
            > wouldn't exist. if it isn't already h.264 then google suggests:
            > http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp4
            >
            > but the simplest option if this is for someone making (rather than service
            > you want to provide to others) I would think is to shoot in h.264 (iphone,
            > xacti, etc). might also help with transcoding compression issues too
            > (artefacts, etc).
            >

            > On 30 March 2011 04:21, Julian Seery Gude <julian@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Do you know of any online services that convert mov files to h.264 mp4?
            > >
            > > I'm trying to make mov files editable on an iPad2 without need to first
            > > convert them on a Mac or PC using an app like mpeg streamclip.
            > >
            > > You might ask why anyone would want to do this! I'm looking for an
            > > all-mobile video editing solution on the iPad that doesn't require that I
            > > have my regular laptop handy.
            > >
            > > While the iPad can PLAY mov formats, iMovie can't edit anything but h.264
            > > mp4.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any tips or other workarounds you may be aware of.
            > >

            > an appropriate closing
            > Adrian Miles
            > School of Media and Communication
            > Program Director B.Comm Honours
            > vogmae.net.au/research/contact-me/

            Julian Seery Gude
            julian@...
            {561} 584-9088 or {skype} exceler8
            LOCALNa8ion.com, BrandTrampoline.com and exceler8.com

          • drpoulette
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 18, 2011
              Looks like that Vimeo app is only for iPhone right now. It says they're working on Android and iPad apps once they get the current one stable.

              Dennis