Re: [videoblogging] Hacking public video screens

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2011
      > I tweeted the other day that this is clearly a hoax.
      > I thought it was a viral marketing campaign for Apple, but I've heard
      > it may be a viral ad for some video editing software or something.

      I guess I took it at face value. What made it so obviously a hoax?
      Just curious if something like that would even be possible.

    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2011
        On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

        > > I tweeted the other day that this is clearly a hoax.
        > > I thought it was a viral marketing campaign for Apple, but I've heard
        > > it may be a viral ad for some video editing software or something.
        >
        > I guess I took it at face value. What made it so obviously a hoax?

        It helps that I'm an electronics design engineer, but I noticed
        several things immediately:

        1) The circuitry on the board for the video repeater on top of the
        iPhone just didn't look right. Also where was the power supply for it?
        I didn't see a battery, and you can't realistically tap the power out
        of the iPhone headphone jack.

        2) The video hacked onto the screen was just far too seamless, and the
        video "glitches" were too contrived and what I'd expect a post edit
        effect to look like. And it didn't make sense that it would work in
        the middle of the screen and not down the bottom when he dropped his
        hand, you simply don't get that kind of discrimination in practice
        with RF signals. Not to mention the aspect ratios etc

        3) The video was clearly shot with a pro camera and the angles were
        good, and it was clear a lot of thought had gone into it. Some hacker
        on the street showing off his work without getting busted wouldn't go
        to that much trouble.

        4) The acting was too polished and just didn't feel right, with the
        "good" part at the end bit of the first clip too contrived for my
        liking. Few hackers would act like that on camera, esp when they might
        be doing something possibly illegal in a public place.

        5) The Youtube channel is brand new with this being the first video.
        Fine if you wanted to hide your identity, but then why reveal yourself
        so clearly on camera and then not say who you are in the video notes
        to get credit for your work?

        > Just curious if something like that would even be possible.

        If the video screen used a simple analog modulated RF transmitter to
        receive the signals from some nearby source, like those cheap wireless
        TV video transmitter for your house, then maybe.
        But otherwise no.

        Dave.
      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2011
          Here we go:

          http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/business/media/17viral.html

          On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:54 PM, David Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I tweeted the other day that this is clearly a hoax.
          > > > I thought it was a viral marketing campaign for Apple, but I've heard
          > > > it may be a viral ad for some video editing software or something.
          > >
          > > I guess I took it at face value. What made it so obviously a hoax?
          >
          > It helps that I'm an electronics design engineer, but I noticed
          > several things immediately:
          >
          > 1) The circuitry on the board for the video repeater on top of the
          > iPhone just didn't look right. Also where was the power supply for it?
          > I didn't see a battery, and you can't realistically tap the power out
          > of the iPhone headphone jack.
          >
          > 2) The video hacked onto the screen was just far too seamless, and the
          > video "glitches" were too contrived and what I'd expect a post edit
          > effect to look like. And it didn't make sense that it would work in
          > the middle of the screen and not down the bottom when he dropped his
          > hand, you simply don't get that kind of discrimination in practice
          > with RF signals. Not to mention the aspect ratios etc
          >
          > 3) The video was clearly shot with a pro camera and the angles were
          > good, and it was clear a lot of thought had gone into it. Some hacker
          > on the street showing off his work without getting busted wouldn't go
          > to that much trouble.
          >
          > 4) The acting was too polished and just didn't feel right, with the
          > "good" part at the end bit of the first clip too contrived for my
          > liking. Few hackers would act like that on camera, esp when they might
          > be doing something possibly illegal in a public place.
          >
          > 5) The Youtube channel is brand new with this being the first video.
          > Fine if you wanted to hide your identity, but then why reveal yourself
          > so clearly on camera and then not say who you are in the video notes
          > to get credit for your work?
          >
          > > Just curious if something like that would even be possible.
          >
          > If the video screen used a simple analog modulated RF transmitter to
          > receive the signals from some nearby source, like those cheap wireless
          > TV video transmitter for your house, then maybe.
          > But otherwise no.
          >
          > Dave.

          Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
          WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com