Re: Mic for Flip?

  • neophoto3000
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
      I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

      Chris

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "mikemoon_ca" <mgmoon@...> wrote:

      > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
      >
      > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
      >
      > BUT...
      > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
      > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
      >
      > ALSO...
      > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
      >
      > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
      >
      > Mike
      > http://MikeMoon.ca
      >

      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@> wrote:

    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
        On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...> wrote:

        > I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

        Any decent 1280x720 H.264 footage is going to be around 8-9Mbit/sec,
        but depends on the codec.
        At that ballpark you are talking approx 1MB/sec = 60MB/min = 3.6GB/hour.

        Dave.
      • David Lee King
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
          Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
          http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/

          It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
          quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!

          And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
          survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
          clean :-)

          David Lee King
          davidleeking.com - blog
          davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
          twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

          On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:

          > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
          >
          > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
          > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
          > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
          > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
          > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
          > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
          >
          > BUT...
          > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
          > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
          > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
          > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
          > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
          > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
          > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
          > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
          > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
          > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
          > lens as the above. (
          > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
          >
          > ALSO...
          > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
          > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
          > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
          > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
          > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
          >
          > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
          >
          > Mike
          > http://MikeMoon.ca
          >

          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

        • John Cardenas
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
            after almost 3 years of being away from China I am back and one of my first issues was to try to use my usual social network sites and video ones too...sad to realize that the blocking and filtering by the great firewall of China is stronger than before....

            It affects to the ones that we have nothing to do with other issues.I just wanna interact with my tribe and friends and my audience in general all over the world through my usual photovideoblogging style.

            anyways I can access my american server through FTP but I can not see my website on line from here.... so, to the ones who are in contact with me through youtube,facebook and twitter,check my updates in my website  http://www.cardren.com

            regards from inside the Great Firewall of China

            John Dkar .... The Photovideoblogger

          • neophoto3000
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
              Wow! Pretty amazing difference.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:

              > Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
              > http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/
              >
              > It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
              > quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!
              >
              > And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
              > survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
              > clean :-)
              >
              > David Lee King
              > davidleeking.com - blog
              > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
              > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>
              >

              > On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
              > >
              > > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
              > > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
              > > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
              > > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
              > > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
              > > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
              > >
              > > BUT...
              > > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
              > > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
              > > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
              > > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
              > > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
              > > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
              > > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
              > > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
              > > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
              > > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
              > > lens as the above. (
              > > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
              > >
              > > ALSO...
              > > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
              > > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
              > > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
              > > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
              > > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
              > >
              > > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
              > >
              > > Mike
              > > http://MikeMoon.ca

            • neophoto3000
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                After mulling everything over, I decided to order the Kodak Zi8. The video I shoot with my iPod Touch is decent, but I'm not happy with the way it handles skin tones. And anyway, the Zi8 is just a hundred bucks on Amazon.

                Thanks again, everybody!
                Chris