Re: [videoblogging] Re: Mic for Flip?

  • Bohuš
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 3 8:48 PM
      I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
      updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
      no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
      panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
      pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
      forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
      just buy batteries in a pinch.

      You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
      high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
      custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
      to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
      very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.

      I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
      It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
      long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
      either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
      yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
      output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.

      The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light, but it has many
      many compelling features. mic input, VU meter (which could be
      implemented better). I also wish that you could monitor incoming audio
      with headphones, but that isn't possible either. Being able to swap
      memory cards is very nice for longer projects. The PlayTouch lets you do
      some rudimentary editing (chop off excess at beginning and end).

      Get an EyeFI card, and you can suddenly upload videos wirelessly. Pick
      up a Joby tripod, and you have lots of flexibility with mounting
      options. Just give me a way to monitor output of the camera while I'm
      recording, and it's the perfect little cam.

      > I have tried 2 flips and they both died soon after purchase. The latest and
      > best is the Zi8 from Kodak and it does have a external out mic that I have
      > been able to use for a 1/8 adapter and a lapel mic for.
      >
      > The mic for flip is here.
      >
      > http://www.bluemic.com/mikeyforflip/
      >

      > Jim
      >
      > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM, neophoto3000<cjburdick@...>wrote:
      >

      >> Thanks! I'd also like to know which Flip model people most recommend.
      >>

      >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King<davidleeking@...>
      >> wrote:
      >>> Not remembering the name right now - I think it's the Mikey for the
      >> FLip...
      >>> but Blue Mics are making a mic that's designed for the Flip
      >>> camera.
      >>>
      >>> Can someone provide a link?
      >>>

      >>> David Lee King
      >>> davidleeking.com - blog
      >>> davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
      >>> twitter | skype: davidleeking<http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

      >> now

      >> in

      Bohus Blahut
      (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

      modern filmmaker
    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 3 9:01 PM
        2011/3/4 Bohuš <bohus@...>:

        > I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
        > updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
        > no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
        > panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
        > pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
        > forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
        > just buy batteries in a pinch.
        >
        > You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
        > high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
        > custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
        > to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
        > very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.
        >
        > I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
        > It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
        > long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
        > either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
        > yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
        > output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.
        >
        > The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light

        The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
        lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
        latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
        canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
        http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

        Dave.
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 4 6:47 AM
          > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
          > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
          > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
          > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
          > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

          Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
          personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
          ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
          more complex editing.

          Jay
        • theurbanreporter
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 5 8:08 AM
            Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.

            Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO

            The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.

            I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.

            Best,

            Amani Channel
            http://www.webvideochefs.com
            @urbanreporter @webvideochefs

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@...> wrote:

            > Hey All.
            >
            > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
            >
            > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
            >
            > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
            >
            > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Chris

          • neophoto3000
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 5 5:12 PM
              Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.

              I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

              Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...

              Chris

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...> wrote:

              > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
              >
              > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
              >
              > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
              >
              > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > Amani Channel
              > http://www.webvideochefs.com
              > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
              >

              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey All.
              > >
              > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
              > >
              > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
              > >
              > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
              > >
              > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >
              > > Chris

            • neophoto3000
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 5 5:20 PM
                Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount without having to get all MacGyvery.

                The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                Chris

                > > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                > > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                > > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                > > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                > > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/
                >
                > Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
                > personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
                > ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
                > more complex editing.
                >
                > Jay

              • Joly MacFie
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 5 5:29 PM
                  You will find refurbs on ebay. Nothing wrong with them.

                  On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...>wrote:

                  > Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.
                  >
                  > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some
                  > models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at
                  > the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my
                  > videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy
                  > mega-cam.
                  >
                  > Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...
                  >
                  > Chris
                  >

                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is
                  > the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p,
                  > 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a
                  > Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
                  > >
                  > > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
                  > >
                  > > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it
                  > gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it
                  > in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
                  > >
                  > > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already
                  > answered this question.
                  > >
                  > > Best,
                  > >
                  > > Amani Channel
                  > > http://www.webvideochefs.com
                  > > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
                  > >

                  > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hey All.
                  > > >
                  > > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am
                  > now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                  > > >
                  > > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as
                  > in what kind of connector)?
                  > > >
                  > > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are
                  > comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                  > > >
                  > > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks!
                  > > >
                  > > > Chris

                • Richard Amirault
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 5 5:37 PM
                    From: "neophoto3000"

                    > Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The
                    > problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out
                    > bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount
                    > without having to get all MacGyvery.
                    >
                    > The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as
                    > smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage
                    > that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                    Mount it on a bracket/frame often used for DSLR video cams. The extra weight
                    added to the fact that you are using both hands gives you added steadyness.
                    It may look a bit strange .. but the end result is what you're after.

                    Richard Amirault
                    Boston, MA, USA
                    http://n1jdu.org
                    http://bostonfandom.org
                  • Bohuš
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 5 5:52 PM
                      On 3/5/2011 7:12 PM, neophoto3000 wrote:
                      > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

                      Just to throw one more thought out there, I've been super happy with a
                      Canon HV-20 that I bought used for next to nothing. True, it shoots on
                      tape... which is nice because it doesn't compress the image quite as
                      hard. It also has the flip out LCD that I can face toward myself, which
                      is indispensable. You can wide angle add-on lenses as well as use any
                      mic that has an 1/8" jack. It shoot 24p too, which is a favorite mode
                      for me.

                      So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                      material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital, but
                      it's a trade-off I don't mind. Were I using a FLIP style cam for
                      blogging myself, I'd likely go with the Kodak... though I'd really miss
                      being able to see myself in the LCD display. I also do a lot of product
                      close-ups, so the macro lens it offers would be valuable to me... adn
                      though the mic input setup is a little funky, it does work...

                      Not that any of that was helpful... ;)

                      Bohus Blahut
                      (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                      modern filmmaker
                    • Richard Amirault
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 6 8:34 AM
                        From: "Bohus"
                        (snip)
                        > So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                        > material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital,
                        (snip)

                        It *is* "entirely digital". Just because it is recorded on tape does not
                        automatically make it analog.

                        Richard Amirault
                        Boston, MA, USA
                        http://n1jdu.org
                        http://bostonfandom.org
                      • Bohuš
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 6 9:28 AM
                          On 3/6/2011 10:34 AM, Richard Amirault wrote:
> [...]

                          I'm well aware it's a digital file - sorry, i can see where it sounds
                          like I was saying the opposite. Right - the tie aspect comes in that the
                          transfer from a digital tape will always be in real time, where if it
                          were a file on a camera's SD card it would be somewhat faster.

                          I struggle with this at work actually - we use broadcast cameras that
                          record directly onto memory cards, but occasionally I bring in my Canon
                          XL-H1 HDV camera, and some guys at my work think I'm delivering an
                          inferior product... even though they're both digital material as you say.

                          Bohus Blahut
                          (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                          modern filmmaker
                        • mikemoon_ca
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 6 3:59 PM
                            Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.

                            Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).

                            BUT...
                            I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                            The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )

                            ALSO...
                            I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.

                            I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.

                            Mike
                            http://MikeMoon.ca

                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                          • neophoto3000
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 6 4:30 PM
                              I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                              Chris

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "mikemoon_ca" <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                              > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                              >
                              > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                              >
                              > BUT...
                              > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                              > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                              >
                              > ALSO...
                              > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                              >
                              > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                              >
                              > Mike
                              > http://MikeMoon.ca
                              >

                              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@> wrote:

                            • David Jones
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 6 4:39 PM
                                On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                                > I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                                Any decent 1280x720 H.264 footage is going to be around 8-9Mbit/sec,
                                but depends on the codec.
                                At that ballpark you are talking approx 1MB/sec = 60MB/min = 3.6GB/hour.

                                Dave.
                              • David Lee King
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 6 5:49 PM
                                  Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                  http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/

                                  It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                  quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!

                                  And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                  survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                  clean :-)

                                  On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                  > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                  >
                                  > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                  > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                  > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                  > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                  > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                  > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                  >
                                  > BUT...
                                  > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                  > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                  > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                  > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                  > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                  > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                  > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                  > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                  > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                  > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                  > lens as the above. (
                                  > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                  >
                                  > ALSO...
                                  > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                  > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                  > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                  > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                  > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                  >
                                  > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                  >
                                  > Mike
                                  > http://MikeMoon.ca
                                  >

                                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                                • John Cardenas
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 6 6:23 PM
                                    after almost 3 years of being away from China I am back and one of my first issues was to try to use my usual social network sites and video ones too...sad to realize that the blocking and filtering by the great firewall of China is stronger than before....

                                    It affects to the ones that we have nothing to do with other issues.I just wanna interact with my tribe and friends and my audience in general all over the world through my usual photovideoblogging style.

                                    anyways I can access my american server through FTP but I can not see my website on line from here.... so, to the ones who are in contact with me through youtube,facebook and twitter,check my updates in my website  http://www.cardren.com

                                    regards from inside the Great Firewall of China

                                    John Dkar .... The Photovideoblogger

                                  • neophoto3000
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 6 6:25 PM
                                      Wow! Pretty amazing difference.

                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:

                                      > Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                      > http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/
                                      >
                                      > It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                      > quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!
                                      >
                                      > And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                      > survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                      > clean :-)
                                      >
                                      > David Lee King
                                      > davidleeking.com - blog
                                      > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                                      > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>
                                      >

                                      > On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                      > >
                                      > > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                      > > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                      > > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                      > > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                      > > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                      > > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                      > >
                                      > > BUT...
                                      > > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                      > > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                      > > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                      > > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                      > > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                      > > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                      > > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                      > > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                      > > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                      > > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                      > > lens as the above. (
                                      > > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                      > >
                                      > > ALSO...
                                      > > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                      > > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                      > > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                      > > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                      > > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                      > >
                                      > > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                      > >
                                      > > Mike
                                      > > http://MikeMoon.ca

                                    • neophoto3000
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 7 10:54 AM
                                        After mulling everything over, I decided to order the Kodak Zi8. The video I shoot with my iPod Touch is decent, but I'm not happy with the way it handles skin tones. And anyway, the Zi8 is just a hundred bucks on Amazon.

                                        Thanks again, everybody!
                                        Chris