Re: [videoblogging] Mic for Flip?

  • Joly MacFie
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
      Yeah I don't see any port on my ultra HD, must just be newer models - and
      all those add-ons still leave one with the 2hr limitation? (in fact 1hr 40
      on mine after other files)

      further points I will make on this are that while my flip has saved my bacon
      on more than one occasion when I've turned up to a shoot with flat batteries
      or forgotten tape on my dv cam I would not advise using it, or the Zi8 as a
      main cam - just he low light and zoom capabilities are a little crippling.
      It's worth spending$400/$500 and getting an SD card cam with a little morre
      oomph. Where the flip really works is as a second cam.

    • Joly MacFie
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
        As David has pointed out to me off list SD in my comment could be
        misconstrued - I mean SDHC, of course!

        I've qot a query of my own though. I just got a laptop to use for occasional
        live webcasts. It doesn't have firwire so I am going to have to get a usb
        cam to feed it, something better than the Microsoft LiveCam I am currently
        using. Sre there any probs getting a live video feed out of these new USB
        SDHC cams or do they all do it? This is something the flip doesn't do btw.

        On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

        > Yeah I don't see any port on my ultra HD, must just be newer models - and
        > all those add-ons still leave one with the 2hr limitation? (in fact 1hr 40
        > on mine after other files)
        >
        > further points I will make on this are that while my flip has saved my
        > bacon on more than one occasion when I've turned up to a shoot with flat
        > batteries or forgotten tape on my dv cam I would not advise using it, or the
        > Zi8 as a main cam - just he low light and zoom capabilities are a little
        > crippling. It's worth spending$400/$500 and getting an SD card cam with a
        > little morre oomph. Where the flip really works is as a second cam.

        > Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
        > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com

      • Bohuš
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
          I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
          updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
          no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
          panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
          pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
          forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
          just buy batteries in a pinch.

          You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
          high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
          custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
          to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
          very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.

          I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
          It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
          long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
          either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
          yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
          output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.

          The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light, but it has many
          many compelling features. mic input, VU meter (which could be
          implemented better). I also wish that you could monitor incoming audio
          with headphones, but that isn't possible either. Being able to swap
          memory cards is very nice for longer projects. The PlayTouch lets you do
          some rudimentary editing (chop off excess at beginning and end).

          Get an EyeFI card, and you can suddenly upload videos wirelessly. Pick
          up a Joby tripod, and you have lots of flexibility with mounting
          options. Just give me a way to monitor output of the camera while I'm
          recording, and it's the perfect little cam.

          > I have tried 2 flips and they both died soon after purchase. The latest and
          > best is the Zi8 from Kodak and it does have a external out mic that I have
          > been able to use for a 1/8 adapter and a lapel mic for.
          >
          > The mic for flip is here.
          >
          > http://www.bluemic.com/mikeyforflip/
          >

          > Jim
          >
          > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM, neophoto3000<cjburdick@...>wrote:
          >

          >> Thanks! I'd also like to know which Flip model people most recommend.
          >>

          >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King<davidleeking@...>
          >> wrote:
          >>> Not remembering the name right now - I think it's the Mikey for the
          >> FLip...
          >>> but Blue Mics are making a mic that's designed for the Flip
          >>> camera.
          >>>
          >>> Can someone provide a link?
          >>>

          >>> David Lee King
          >>> davidleeking.com - blog
          >>> davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
          >>> twitter | skype: davidleeking<http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

          >> now

          >> in

          Bohus Blahut
          (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

          modern filmmaker
        • David Jones
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
            2011/3/4 Bohuš <bohus@...>:

            > I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
            > updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
            > no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
            > panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
            > pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
            > forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
            > just buy batteries in a pinch.
            >
            > You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
            > high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
            > custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
            > to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
            > very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.
            >
            > I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
            > It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
            > long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
            > either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
            > yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
            > output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.
            >
            > The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light

            The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
            lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
            latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
            canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
            http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

            Dave.
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
              > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
              > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
              > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
              > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
              > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

              Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
              personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
              ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
              more complex editing.

              Jay
            • theurbanreporter
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.

                Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO

                The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.

                I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.

                Best,

                Amani Channel
                http://www.webvideochefs.com
                @urbanreporter @webvideochefs

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                > Hey All.
                >
                > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                >
                > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
                >
                > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                >
                > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Chris

              • neophoto3000
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                  Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.

                  I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

                  Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...

                  Chris

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...> wrote:

                  > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
                  >
                  > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
                  >
                  > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
                  >
                  > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.
                  >
                  > Best,
                  >
                  > Amani Channel
                  > http://www.webvideochefs.com
                  > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
                  >

                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey All.
                  > >
                  > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                  > >
                  > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
                  > >
                  > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                  > >
                  > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!
                  > >
                  > > Chris

                • neophoto3000
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                    Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount without having to get all MacGyvery.

                    The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                    Chris

                    > > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                    > > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                    > > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                    > > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                    > > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/
                    >
                    > Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
                    > personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
                    > ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
                    > more complex editing.
                    >
                    > Jay

                  • Joly MacFie
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                      You will find refurbs on ebay. Nothing wrong with them.

                      On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...>wrote:

                      > Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.
                      >
                      > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some
                      > models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at
                      > the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my
                      > videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy
                      > mega-cam.
                      >
                      > Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...
                      >
                      > Chris
                      >

                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is
                      > the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p,
                      > 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a
                      > Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
                      > >
                      > > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
                      > >
                      > > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it
                      > gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it
                      > in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
                      > >
                      > > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already
                      > answered this question.
                      > >
                      > > Best,
                      > >
                      > > Amani Channel
                      > > http://www.webvideochefs.com
                      > > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
                      > >

                      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hey All.
                      > > >
                      > > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am
                      > now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                      > > >
                      > > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as
                      > in what kind of connector)?
                      > > >
                      > > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are
                      > comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                      > > >
                      > > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks!
                      > > >
                      > > > Chris

                    • Richard Amirault
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                        From: "neophoto3000"

                        > Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The
                        > problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out
                        > bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount
                        > without having to get all MacGyvery.
                        >
                        > The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as
                        > smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage
                        > that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                        Mount it on a bracket/frame often used for DSLR video cams. The extra weight
                        added to the fact that you are using both hands gives you added steadyness.
                        It may look a bit strange .. but the end result is what you're after.

                        Richard Amirault
                        Boston, MA, USA
                        http://n1jdu.org
                        http://bostonfandom.org
                      • Bohuš
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                          On 3/5/2011 7:12 PM, neophoto3000 wrote:
                          > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

                          Just to throw one more thought out there, I've been super happy with a
                          Canon HV-20 that I bought used for next to nothing. True, it shoots on
                          tape... which is nice because it doesn't compress the image quite as
                          hard. It also has the flip out LCD that I can face toward myself, which
                          is indispensable. You can wide angle add-on lenses as well as use any
                          mic that has an 1/8" jack. It shoot 24p too, which is a favorite mode
                          for me.

                          So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                          material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital, but
                          it's a trade-off I don't mind. Were I using a FLIP style cam for
                          blogging myself, I'd likely go with the Kodak... though I'd really miss
                          being able to see myself in the LCD display. I also do a lot of product
                          close-ups, so the macro lens it offers would be valuable to me... adn
                          though the mic input setup is a little funky, it does work...

                          Not that any of that was helpful... ;)

                          Bohus Blahut
                          (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                          modern filmmaker
                        • Richard Amirault
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                            From: "Bohus"
                            (snip)
                            > So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                            > material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital,
                            (snip)

                            It *is* "entirely digital". Just because it is recorded on tape does not
                            automatically make it analog.

                            Richard Amirault
                            Boston, MA, USA
                            http://n1jdu.org
                            http://bostonfandom.org
                          • Bohuš
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                              On 3/6/2011 10:34 AM, Richard Amirault wrote:
> [...]

                              I'm well aware it's a digital file - sorry, i can see where it sounds
                              like I was saying the opposite. Right - the tie aspect comes in that the
                              transfer from a digital tape will always be in real time, where if it
                              were a file on a camera's SD card it would be somewhat faster.

                              I struggle with this at work actually - we use broadcast cameras that
                              record directly onto memory cards, but occasionally I bring in my Canon
                              XL-H1 HDV camera, and some guys at my work think I'm delivering an
                              inferior product... even though they're both digital material as you say.

                              Bohus Blahut
                              (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                              modern filmmaker
                            • mikemoon_ca
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.

                                Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).

                                BUT...
                                I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )

                                ALSO...
                                I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.

                                I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.

                                Mike
                                http://MikeMoon.ca

                                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                              • neophoto3000
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                  I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                                  Chris

                                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "mikemoon_ca" <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                  > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                  >
                                  > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                  >
                                  > BUT...
                                  > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                  > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                  >
                                  > ALSO...
                                  > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                  >
                                  > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                  >
                                  > Mike
                                  > http://MikeMoon.ca
                                  >

                                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@> wrote:

                                • David Jones
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                    On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                                    > I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                                    Any decent 1280x720 H.264 footage is going to be around 8-9Mbit/sec,
                                    but depends on the codec.
                                    At that ballpark you are talking approx 1MB/sec = 60MB/min = 3.6GB/hour.

                                    Dave.
                                  • David Lee King
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                      Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                      http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/

                                      It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                      quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!

                                      And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                      survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                      clean :-)

                                      On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                      > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                      >
                                      > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                      > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                      > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                      > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                      > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                      > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                      >
                                      > BUT...
                                      > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                      > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                      > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                      > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                      > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                      > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                      > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                      > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                      > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                      > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                      > lens as the above. (
                                      > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                      >
                                      > ALSO...
                                      > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                      > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                      > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                      > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                      > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                      >
                                      > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                      >
                                      > Mike
                                      > http://MikeMoon.ca
                                      >

                                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                                    • John Cardenas
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                        after almost 3 years of being away from China I am back and one of my first issues was to try to use my usual social network sites and video ones too...sad to realize that the blocking and filtering by the great firewall of China is stronger than before....

                                        It affects to the ones that we have nothing to do with other issues.I just wanna interact with my tribe and friends and my audience in general all over the world through my usual photovideoblogging style.

                                        anyways I can access my american server through FTP but I can not see my website on line from here.... so, to the ones who are in contact with me through youtube,facebook and twitter,check my updates in my website  http://www.cardren.com

                                        regards from inside the Great Firewall of China

                                        John Dkar .... The Photovideoblogger

                                      • neophoto3000
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                          Wow! Pretty amazing difference.

                                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:

                                          > Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                          > http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/
                                          >
                                          > It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                          > quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!
                                          >
                                          > And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                          > survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                          > clean :-)
                                          >
                                          > David Lee King
                                          > davidleeking.com - blog
                                          > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                                          > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>
                                          >

                                          > On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:
                                          >

                                          > > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                          > >
                                          > > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                          > > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                          > > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                          > > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                          > > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                          > > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                          > >
                                          > > BUT...
                                          > > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                          > > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                          > > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                          > > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                          > > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                          > > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                          > > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                          > > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                          > > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                          > > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                          > > lens as the above. (
                                          > > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                          > >
                                          > > ALSO...
                                          > > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                          > > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                          > > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                          > > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                          > > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                          > >
                                          > > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                          > >
                                          > > Mike
                                          > > http://MikeMoon.ca

                                        • neophoto3000
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                                            After mulling everything over, I decided to order the Kodak Zi8. The video I shoot with my iPod Touch is decent, but I'm not happy with the way it handles skin tones. And anyway, the Zi8 is just a hundred bucks on Amazon.

                                            Thanks again, everybody!
                                            Chris