Re: [videoblogging] Re: Mic for Flip?

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
      More info on Flip Port:
      ==========
      The UltraHD 2-hour version (black or white) debuts the FlipPort, a
      proprietary connector that can be plugged into specially designed
      accessories including external microphones (wired or wireless) for audio
      pickup close to the subject and external batteries for extra power.

      The FlipPort enables key accessories as part of the newly announced Designed
      for Flip program for third-party manufacturers. The FlipPort will appear on
      more Flip Video cameras going forward, meaning that new Flip camcorder
      owners will have access to the types of accessories available to more
      demanding video makers. The first wave of FlipPort accessories will include
      the Flip Video Battery Pack and iGo Overtime Battery Backup in October; the
      Mikey for Flip from Blue Microphones and wireless mic from Scosche
      Industries in November; and the Flip Video TV Dock in December or January.

      ==========

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org
    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
        On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...> wrote:

        > Hey All.
        >
        > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
        >
        > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?

        The detailed specs are on the website.

        > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?

        The Kodak Zi8 is one of the best HD pocket cams with external mic in
        and a remote control.
        The problem with the pocket cams and external mics is you have no shoe
        mount to mount the mic, so they are kinda messy.

        Dave.
      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
          Yeah I don't see any port on my ultra HD, must just be newer models - and
          all those add-ons still leave one with the 2hr limitation? (in fact 1hr 40
          on mine after other files)

          further points I will make on this are that while my flip has saved my bacon
          on more than one occasion when I've turned up to a shoot with flat batteries
          or forgotten tape on my dv cam I would not advise using it, or the Zi8 as a
          main cam - just he low light and zoom capabilities are a little crippling.
          It's worth spending$400/$500 and getting an SD card cam with a little morre
          oomph. Where the flip really works is as a second cam.

        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
            As David has pointed out to me off list SD in my comment could be
            misconstrued - I mean SDHC, of course!

            I've qot a query of my own though. I just got a laptop to use for occasional
            live webcasts. It doesn't have firwire so I am going to have to get a usb
            cam to feed it, something better than the Microsoft LiveCam I am currently
            using. Sre there any probs getting a live video feed out of these new USB
            SDHC cams or do they all do it? This is something the flip doesn't do btw.

            On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

            > Yeah I don't see any port on my ultra HD, must just be newer models - and
            > all those add-ons still leave one with the 2hr limitation? (in fact 1hr 40
            > on mine after other files)
            >
            > further points I will make on this are that while my flip has saved my
            > bacon on more than one occasion when I've turned up to a shoot with flat
            > batteries or forgotten tape on my dv cam I would not advise using it, or the
            > Zi8 as a main cam - just he low light and zoom capabilities are a little
            > crippling. It's worth spending$400/$500 and getting an SD card cam with a
            > little morre oomph. Where the flip really works is as a second cam.

            > Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
            > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com

          • Bohuš
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
              I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
              updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
              no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
              panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
              pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
              forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
              just buy batteries in a pinch.

              You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
              high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
              custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
              to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
              very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.

              I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
              It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
              long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
              either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
              yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
              output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.

              The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light, but it has many
              many compelling features. mic input, VU meter (which could be
              implemented better). I also wish that you could monitor incoming audio
              with headphones, but that isn't possible either. Being able to swap
              memory cards is very nice for longer projects. The PlayTouch lets you do
              some rudimentary editing (chop off excess at beginning and end).

              Get an EyeFI card, and you can suddenly upload videos wirelessly. Pick
              up a Joby tripod, and you have lots of flexibility with mounting
              options. Just give me a way to monitor output of the camera while I'm
              recording, and it's the perfect little cam.

              > I have tried 2 flips and they both died soon after purchase. The latest and
              > best is the Zi8 from Kodak and it does have a external out mic that I have
              > been able to use for a 1/8 adapter and a lapel mic for.
              >
              > The mic for flip is here.
              >
              > http://www.bluemic.com/mikeyforflip/
              >

              > Jim
              >
              > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM, neophoto3000<cjburdick@...>wrote:
              >

              >> Thanks! I'd also like to know which Flip model people most recommend.
              >>

              >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King<davidleeking@...>
              >> wrote:
              >>> Not remembering the name right now - I think it's the Mikey for the
              >> FLip...
              >>> but Blue Mics are making a mic that's designed for the Flip
              >>> camera.
              >>>
              >>> Can someone provide a link?
              >>>

              >>> David Lee King
              >>> davidleeking.com - blog
              >>> davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
              >>> twitter | skype: davidleeking<http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

              >> now

              >> in

              Bohus Blahut
              (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

              modern filmmaker
            • David Jones
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
                2011/3/4 Bohuš <bohus@...>:

                > I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
                > updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
                > no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
                > panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
                > pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
                > forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
                > just buy batteries in a pinch.
                >
                > You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
                > high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
                > custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
                > to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
                > very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.
                >
                > I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
                > It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
                > long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
                > either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
                > yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
                > output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.
                >
                > The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light

                The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

                Dave.
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                  > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                  > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                  > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                  > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                  > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

                  Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
                  personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
                  ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
                  more complex editing.

                  Jay
                • theurbanreporter
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                    Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.

                    Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO

                    The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.

                    I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.

                    Best,

                    Amani Channel
                    http://www.webvideochefs.com
                    @urbanreporter @webvideochefs

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                    > Hey All.
                    >
                    > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                    >
                    > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
                    >
                    > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                    >
                    > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Chris

                  • neophoto3000
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                      Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.

                      I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

                      Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...

                      Chris

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...> wrote:

                      > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
                      >
                      > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
                      >
                      > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
                      >
                      > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.
                      >
                      > Best,
                      >
                      > Amani Channel
                      > http://www.webvideochefs.com
                      > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
                      >

                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey All.
                      > >
                      > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                      > >
                      > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
                      > >
                      > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                      > >
                      > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks!
                      > >
                      > > Chris

                    • neophoto3000
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                        Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount without having to get all MacGyvery.

                        The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                        Chris

                        > > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                        > > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                        > > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                        > > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                        > > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/
                        >
                        > Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
                        > personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
                        > ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
                        > more complex editing.
                        >
                        > Jay

                      • Joly MacFie
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                          You will find refurbs on ebay. Nothing wrong with them.

                          On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...>wrote:

                          > Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.
                          >
                          > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some
                          > models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at
                          > the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my
                          > videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy
                          > mega-cam.
                          >
                          > Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...
                          >
                          > Chris
                          >

                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is
                          > the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p,
                          > 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a
                          > Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
                          > >
                          > > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
                          > >
                          > > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it
                          > gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it
                          > in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
                          > >
                          > > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already
                          > answered this question.
                          > >
                          > > Best,
                          > >
                          > > Amani Channel
                          > > http://www.webvideochefs.com
                          > > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
                          > >

                          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hey All.
                          > > >
                          > > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am
                          > now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                          > > >
                          > > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as
                          > in what kind of connector)?
                          > > >
                          > > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are
                          > comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                          > > >
                          > > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks!
                          > > >
                          > > > Chris

                        • Richard Amirault
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                            From: "neophoto3000"

                            > Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The
                            > problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out
                            > bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount
                            > without having to get all MacGyvery.
                            >
                            > The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as
                            > smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage
                            > that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                            Mount it on a bracket/frame often used for DSLR video cams. The extra weight
                            added to the fact that you are using both hands gives you added steadyness.
                            It may look a bit strange .. but the end result is what you're after.

                            Richard Amirault
                            Boston, MA, USA
                            http://n1jdu.org
                            http://bostonfandom.org
                          • Bohuš
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                              On 3/5/2011 7:12 PM, neophoto3000 wrote:
                              > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

                              Just to throw one more thought out there, I've been super happy with a
                              Canon HV-20 that I bought used for next to nothing. True, it shoots on
                              tape... which is nice because it doesn't compress the image quite as
                              hard. It also has the flip out LCD that I can face toward myself, which
                              is indispensable. You can wide angle add-on lenses as well as use any
                              mic that has an 1/8" jack. It shoot 24p too, which is a favorite mode
                              for me.

                              So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                              material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital, but
                              it's a trade-off I don't mind. Were I using a FLIP style cam for
                              blogging myself, I'd likely go with the Kodak... though I'd really miss
                              being able to see myself in the LCD display. I also do a lot of product
                              close-ups, so the macro lens it offers would be valuable to me... adn
                              though the mic input setup is a little funky, it does work...

                              Not that any of that was helpful... ;)

                              Bohus Blahut
                              (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                              modern filmmaker
                            • Richard Amirault
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                From: "Bohus"
                                (snip)
                                > So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                                > material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital,
                                (snip)

                                It *is* "entirely digital". Just because it is recorded on tape does not
                                automatically make it analog.

                                Richard Amirault
                                Boston, MA, USA
                                http://n1jdu.org
                                http://bostonfandom.org
                              • Bohuš
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                  On 3/6/2011 10:34 AM, Richard Amirault wrote:
> [...]

                                  I'm well aware it's a digital file - sorry, i can see where it sounds
                                  like I was saying the opposite. Right - the tie aspect comes in that the
                                  transfer from a digital tape will always be in real time, where if it
                                  were a file on a camera's SD card it would be somewhat faster.

                                  I struggle with this at work actually - we use broadcast cameras that
                                  record directly onto memory cards, but occasionally I bring in my Canon
                                  XL-H1 HDV camera, and some guys at my work think I'm delivering an
                                  inferior product... even though they're both digital material as you say.

                                  Bohus Blahut
                                  (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                                  modern filmmaker
                                • mikemoon_ca
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                    Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.

                                    Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).

                                    BUT...
                                    I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                    The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )

                                    ALSO...
                                    I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.

                                    I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.

                                    Mike
                                    http://MikeMoon.ca

                                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                                  • neophoto3000
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                      I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                                      Chris

                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "mikemoon_ca" <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                      > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                      >
                                      > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                      >
                                      > BUT...
                                      > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                      > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                      >
                                      > ALSO...
                                      > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                      >
                                      > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                      >
                                      > Mike
                                      > http://MikeMoon.ca
                                      >

                                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@> wrote:

                                    • David Jones
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                        On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                                        > I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                                        Any decent 1280x720 H.264 footage is going to be around 8-9Mbit/sec,
                                        but depends on the codec.
                                        At that ballpark you are talking approx 1MB/sec = 60MB/min = 3.6GB/hour.

                                        Dave.
                                      • David Lee King
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                          Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                          http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/

                                          It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                          quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!

                                          And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                          survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                          clean :-)

                                          On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                          > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                          >
                                          > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                          > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                          > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                          > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                          > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                          > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                          >
                                          > BUT...
                                          > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                          > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                          > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                          > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                          > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                          > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                          > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                          > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                          > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                          > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                          > lens as the above. (
                                          > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                          >
                                          > ALSO...
                                          > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                          > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                          > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                          > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                          > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                          >
                                          > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                          >
                                          > Mike
                                          > http://MikeMoon.ca
                                          >

                                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                                        • John Cardenas
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                            after almost 3 years of being away from China I am back and one of my first issues was to try to use my usual social network sites and video ones too...sad to realize that the blocking and filtering by the great firewall of China is stronger than before....

                                            It affects to the ones that we have nothing to do with other issues.I just wanna interact with my tribe and friends and my audience in general all over the world through my usual photovideoblogging style.

                                            anyways I can access my american server through FTP but I can not see my website on line from here.... so, to the ones who are in contact with me through youtube,facebook and twitter,check my updates in my website  http://www.cardren.com

                                            regards from inside the Great Firewall of China

                                            John Dkar .... The Photovideoblogger

                                          • neophoto3000
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                              Wow! Pretty amazing difference.

                                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:

                                              > Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                              > http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/
                                              >
                                              > It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                              > quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!
                                              >
                                              > And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                              > survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                              > clean :-)
                                              >
                                              > David Lee King
                                              > davidleeking.com - blog
                                              > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                                              > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>
                                              >

                                              > On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:
                                              >

                                              > > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                              > >
                                              > > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                              > > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                              > > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                              > > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                              > > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                              > > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                              > >
                                              > > BUT...
                                              > > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                              > > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                              > > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                              > > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                              > > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                              > > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                              > > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                              > > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                              > > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                              > > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                              > > lens as the above. (
                                              > > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                              > >
                                              > > ALSO...
                                              > > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                              > > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                              > > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                              > > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                              > > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                              > >
                                              > > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                              > >
                                              > > Mike
                                              > > http://MikeMoon.ca

                                            • neophoto3000
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                                                After mulling everything over, I decided to order the Kodak Zi8. The video I shoot with my iPod Touch is decent, but I'm not happy with the way it handles skin tones. And anyway, the Zi8 is just a hundred bucks on Amazon.

                                                Thanks again, everybody!
                                                Chris