Re: [videoblogging] Re: Mic for Flip?

  • Joly MacFie
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
      Well. the lack of options on the flip makes for simplicity of use and, given
      good light, it shoots really nice video. See
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNIlpEgxckE for instance - flip saved my life
      when I brought flat battery for my HDV cam. (Audio recorded separately) :)
      Also the (Cisco) software is so simple your granny can use it - be editing
      titling and uploading / emailing etc..

      On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Forest Mars <forest@...> wrote:

      > On 3/3/11 12:50 PM, Joly MacFie wrote:
      >>
      >> Advantages of the Zi8 over flip include
      >>
      >> * external mic in
      >> * swappable sd card storage
      >> * will run on ac adapter
      >> * choice of recording quality up to 1080p
      >

      > So wait, what's the reason to buy a flip over the Zi8 again? I think I may
      have missed that,,,,

      > ~ Forest Mars
      > --
      > MNN: You're What's On!

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
        More info on Flip Port:
        ==========
        The UltraHD 2-hour version (black or white) debuts the FlipPort, a
        proprietary connector that can be plugged into specially designed
        accessories including external microphones (wired or wireless) for audio
        pickup close to the subject and external batteries for extra power.

        The FlipPort enables key accessories as part of the newly announced Designed
        for Flip program for third-party manufacturers. The FlipPort will appear on
        more Flip Video cameras going forward, meaning that new Flip camcorder
        owners will have access to the types of accessories available to more
        demanding video makers. The first wave of FlipPort accessories will include
        the Flip Video Battery Pack and iGo Overtime Battery Backup in October; the
        Mikey for Flip from Blue Microphones and wireless mic from Scosche
        Industries in November; and the Flip Video TV Dock in December or January.

        ==========

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • David Jones
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
          On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...> wrote:

          > Hey All.
          >
          > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
          >
          > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?

          The detailed specs are on the website.

          > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?

          The Kodak Zi8 is one of the best HD pocket cams with external mic in
          and a remote control.
          The problem with the pocket cams and external mics is you have no shoe
          mount to mount the mic, so they are kinda messy.

          Dave.
        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
            Yeah I don't see any port on my ultra HD, must just be newer models - and
            all those add-ons still leave one with the 2hr limitation? (in fact 1hr 40
            on mine after other files)

            further points I will make on this are that while my flip has saved my bacon
            on more than one occasion when I've turned up to a shoot with flat batteries
            or forgotten tape on my dv cam I would not advise using it, or the Zi8 as a
            main cam - just he low light and zoom capabilities are a little crippling.
            It's worth spending$400/$500 and getting an SD card cam with a little morre
            oomph. Where the flip really works is as a second cam.

          • Joly MacFie
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
              As David has pointed out to me off list SD in my comment could be
              misconstrued - I mean SDHC, of course!

              I've qot a query of my own though. I just got a laptop to use for occasional
              live webcasts. It doesn't have firwire so I am going to have to get a usb
              cam to feed it, something better than the Microsoft LiveCam I am currently
              using. Sre there any probs getting a live video feed out of these new USB
              SDHC cams or do they all do it? This is something the flip doesn't do btw.

              On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

              > Yeah I don't see any port on my ultra HD, must just be newer models - and
              > all those add-ons still leave one with the 2hr limitation? (in fact 1hr 40
              > on mine after other files)
              >
              > further points I will make on this are that while my flip has saved my
              > bacon on more than one occasion when I've turned up to a shoot with flat
              > batteries or forgotten tape on my dv cam I would not advise using it, or the
              > Zi8 as a main cam - just he low light and zoom capabilities are a little
              > crippling. It's worth spending$400/$500 and getting an SD card cam with a
              > little morre oomph. Where the flip really works is as a second cam.

              > Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
              > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com

            • Bohuš
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
                I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
                updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
                no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
                panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
                pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
                forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
                just buy batteries in a pinch.

                You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
                high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
                custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
                to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
                very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.

                I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
                It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
                long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
                either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
                yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
                output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.

                The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light, but it has many
                many compelling features. mic input, VU meter (which could be
                implemented better). I also wish that you could monitor incoming audio
                with headphones, but that isn't possible either. Being able to swap
                memory cards is very nice for longer projects. The PlayTouch lets you do
                some rudimentary editing (chop off excess at beginning and end).

                Get an EyeFI card, and you can suddenly upload videos wirelessly. Pick
                up a Joby tripod, and you have lots of flexibility with mounting
                options. Just give me a way to monitor output of the camera while I'm
                recording, and it's the perfect little cam.

                > I have tried 2 flips and they both died soon after purchase. The latest and
                > best is the Zi8 from Kodak and it does have a external out mic that I have
                > been able to use for a 1/8 adapter and a lapel mic for.
                >
                > The mic for flip is here.
                >
                > http://www.bluemic.com/mikeyforflip/
                >

                > Jim
                >
                > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM, neophoto3000<cjburdick@...>wrote:
                >

                >> Thanks! I'd also like to know which Flip model people most recommend.
                >>

                >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King<davidleeking@...>
                >> wrote:
                >>> Not remembering the name right now - I think it's the Mikey for the
                >> FLip...
                >>> but Blue Mics are making a mic that's designed for the Flip
                >>> camera.
                >>>
                >>> Can someone provide a link?
                >>>

                >>> David Lee King
                >>> davidleeking.com - blog
                >>> davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                >>> twitter | skype: davidleeking<http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

                >> now

                >> in

                Bohus Blahut
                (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                modern filmmaker
              • David Jones
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
                  2011/3/4 Bohuš <bohus@...>:

                  > I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
                  > updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
                  > no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
                  > panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
                  > pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
                  > forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
                  > just buy batteries in a pinch.
                  >
                  > You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
                  > high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
                  > custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
                  > to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
                  > very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.
                  >
                  > I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
                  > It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
                  > long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
                  > either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
                  > yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
                  > output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.
                  >
                  > The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light

                  The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                  lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                  latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                  canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                  http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

                  Dave.
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                    > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                    > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                    > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                    > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                    > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

                    Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
                    personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
                    ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
                    more complex editing.

                    Jay
                  • theurbanreporter
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                      Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.

                      Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO

                      The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.

                      I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.

                      Best,

                      Amani Channel
                      http://www.webvideochefs.com
                      @urbanreporter @webvideochefs

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                      > Hey All.
                      >
                      > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                      >
                      > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
                      >
                      > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                      >
                      > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      >
                      > Chris

                    • neophoto3000
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                        Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.

                        I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

                        Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...

                        Chris

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...> wrote:

                        > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
                        >
                        > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
                        >
                        > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
                        >
                        > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        >
                        > Amani Channel
                        > http://www.webvideochefs.com
                        > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
                        >

                        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hey All.
                        > >
                        > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                        > >
                        > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
                        > >
                        > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                        > >
                        > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks!
                        > >
                        > > Chris

                      • neophoto3000
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                          Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount without having to get all MacGyvery.

                          The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                          Chris

                          > > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                          > > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                          > > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                          > > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                          > > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/
                          >
                          > Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
                          > personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
                          > ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
                          > more complex editing.
                          >
                          > Jay

                        • Joly MacFie
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                            You will find refurbs on ebay. Nothing wrong with them.

                            On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...>wrote:

                            > Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.
                            >
                            > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some
                            > models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at
                            > the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my
                            > videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy
                            > mega-cam.
                            >
                            > Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...
                            >
                            > Chris
                            >

                            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is
                            > the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p,
                            > 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a
                            > Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
                            > >
                            > > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
                            > >
                            > > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it
                            > gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it
                            > in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
                            > >
                            > > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already
                            > answered this question.
                            > >
                            > > Best,
                            > >
                            > > Amani Channel
                            > > http://www.webvideochefs.com
                            > > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
                            > >

                            > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hey All.
                            > > >
                            > > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am
                            > now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                            > > >
                            > > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as
                            > in what kind of connector)?
                            > > >
                            > > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are
                            > comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                            > > >
                            > > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks!
                            > > >
                            > > > Chris

                          • Richard Amirault
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                              > Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The
                              > problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out
                              > bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount
                              > without having to get all MacGyvery.
                              >
                              > The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as
                              > smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage
                              > that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                              Mount it on a bracket/frame often used for DSLR video cams. The extra weight
                              added to the fact that you are using both hands gives you added steadyness.
                              It may look a bit strange .. but the end result is what you're after.

                              Richard Amirault
                              Boston, MA, USA
                              http://n1jdu.org
                              http://bostonfandom.org
                            • Bohuš
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                                On 3/5/2011 7:12 PM, neophoto3000 wrote:
                                > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

                                Just to throw one more thought out there, I've been super happy with a
                                Canon HV-20 that I bought used for next to nothing. True, it shoots on
                                tape... which is nice because it doesn't compress the image quite as
                                hard. It also has the flip out LCD that I can face toward myself, which
                                is indispensable. You can wide angle add-on lenses as well as use any
                                mic that has an 1/8" jack. It shoot 24p too, which is a favorite mode
                                for me.

                                So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                                material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital, but
                                it's a trade-off I don't mind. Were I using a FLIP style cam for
                                blogging myself, I'd likely go with the Kodak... though I'd really miss
                                being able to see myself in the LCD display. I also do a lot of product
                                close-ups, so the macro lens it offers would be valuable to me... adn
                                though the mic input setup is a little funky, it does work...

                                Not that any of that was helpful... ;)

                                Bohus Blahut
                                (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                                modern filmmaker
                              • Richard Amirault
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                  > So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                                  > material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital,
                                  (snip)

                                  It *is* "entirely digital". Just because it is recorded on tape does not
                                  automatically make it analog.

                                  Richard Amirault
                                  Boston, MA, USA
                                  http://n1jdu.org
                                  http://bostonfandom.org
                                • Bohuš
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                    On 3/6/2011 10:34 AM, Richard Amirault wrote:
> [...]

                                    I'm well aware it's a digital file - sorry, i can see where it sounds
                                    like I was saying the opposite. Right - the tie aspect comes in that the
                                    transfer from a digital tape will always be in real time, where if it
                                    were a file on a camera's SD card it would be somewhat faster.

                                    I struggle with this at work actually - we use broadcast cameras that
                                    record directly onto memory cards, but occasionally I bring in my Canon
                                    XL-H1 HDV camera, and some guys at my work think I'm delivering an
                                    inferior product... even though they're both digital material as you say.

                                    Bohus Blahut
                                    (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                                    modern filmmaker
                                  • mikemoon_ca
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                      Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.

                                      Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).

                                      BUT...
                                      I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                      The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )

                                      ALSO...
                                      I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.

                                      I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.

                                      Mike
                                      http://MikeMoon.ca

                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                                    • neophoto3000
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                        I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                                        Chris

                                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "mikemoon_ca" <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                        > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                        >
                                        > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                        >
                                        > BUT...
                                        > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                        > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                        >
                                        > ALSO...
                                        > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                        >
                                        > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                        >
                                        > Mike
                                        > http://MikeMoon.ca
                                        >

                                        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@> wrote:

                                      • David Jones
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                          On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                                          > I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                                          Any decent 1280x720 H.264 footage is going to be around 8-9Mbit/sec,
                                          but depends on the codec.
                                          At that ballpark you are talking approx 1MB/sec = 60MB/min = 3.6GB/hour.

                                          Dave.
                                        • David Lee King
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                            Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                            http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/

                                            It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                            quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!

                                            And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                            survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                            clean :-)

                                            On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                            > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                            >
                                            > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                            > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                            > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                            > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                            > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                            > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                            >
                                            > BUT...
                                            > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                            > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                            > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                            > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                            > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                            > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                            > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                            > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                            > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                            > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                            > lens as the above. (
                                            > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                            >
                                            > ALSO...
                                            > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                            > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                            > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                            > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                            > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                            >
                                            > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                            >
                                            > Mike
                                            > http://MikeMoon.ca
                                            >

                                            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                                          • John Cardenas
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                              after almost 3 years of being away from China I am back and one of my first issues was to try to use my usual social network sites and video ones too...sad to realize that the blocking and filtering by the great firewall of China is stronger than before....

                                              It affects to the ones that we have nothing to do with other issues.I just wanna interact with my tribe and friends and my audience in general all over the world through my usual photovideoblogging style.

                                              anyways I can access my american server through FTP but I can not see my website on line from here.... so, to the ones who are in contact with me through youtube,facebook and twitter,check my updates in my website  http://www.cardren.com

                                              regards from inside the Great Firewall of China

                                              John Dkar .... The Photovideoblogger

                                            • neophoto3000
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                                Wow! Pretty amazing difference.

                                                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:

                                                > Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                                > http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/
                                                >
                                                > It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                                > quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!
                                                >
                                                > And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                                > survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                                > clean :-)
                                                >
                                                > David Lee King
                                                > davidleeking.com - blog
                                                > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                                                > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>
                                                >

                                                > On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:
                                                >

                                                > > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                                > >
                                                > > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                                > > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                                > > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                                > > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                                > > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                                > > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                                > >
                                                > > BUT...
                                                > > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                                > > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                                > > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                                > > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                                > > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                                > > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                                > > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                                > > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                                > > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                                > > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                                > > lens as the above. (
                                                > > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                                > >
                                                > > ALSO...
                                                > > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                                > > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                                > > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                                > > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                                > > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                                > >
                                                > > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                                > >
                                                > > Mike
                                                > > http://MikeMoon.ca

                                              • neophoto3000
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                                                  After mulling everything over, I decided to order the Kodak Zi8. The video I shoot with my iPod Touch is decent, but I'm not happy with the way it handles skin tones. And anyway, the Zi8 is just a hundred bucks on Amazon.

                                                  Thanks again, everybody!
                                                  Chris