Re: [videoblogging] Re: Mic for Flip?

  • Joly MacFie
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
      "Simply plug the Mikey into your camera's FlipPort� connector"

      What FlipPort connector? I don't see one on my Ultra HD..

      Apart from that, my flip continues to work well, and the built in mic and
      AGC is excellent as long as things aren't too loud.

      Advantages of the Zi8 over flip include

      * external mic in
      * swappable sd card storage
      * will run on ac adapter
      * choice of recording quality up to 1080p

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
        From: "Joly MacFie"
        Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Re: Mic for Flip?

        > "Simply plug the Mikey into your camera's FlipPortT connector"

        > What FlipPort connector? I don't see one on my Ultra HD..

        ================
        Not all have that. According to the Mikey website:

        "Especially designed for all FlipPortT-enabled Flip video cameras (including
        the new Flip UltraHD)"

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
          Well. the lack of options on the flip makes for simplicity of use and, given
          good light, it shoots really nice video. See
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNIlpEgxckE for instance - flip saved my life
          when I brought flat battery for my HDV cam. (Audio recorded separately) :)
          Also the (Cisco) software is so simple your granny can use it - be editing
          titling and uploading / emailing etc..

          On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Forest Mars <forest@...> wrote:

          > On 3/3/11 12:50 PM, Joly MacFie wrote:
          >>
          >> Advantages of the Zi8 over flip include
          >>
          >> * external mic in
          >> * swappable sd card storage
          >> * will run on ac adapter
          >> * choice of recording quality up to 1080p
          >

          > So wait, what's the reason to buy a flip over the Zi8 again? I think I may
          have missed that,,,,

          > ~ Forest Mars
          > --
          > MNN: You're What's On!

        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
            More info on Flip Port:
            ==========
            The UltraHD 2-hour version (black or white) debuts the FlipPort, a
            proprietary connector that can be plugged into specially designed
            accessories including external microphones (wired or wireless) for audio
            pickup close to the subject and external batteries for extra power.

            The FlipPort enables key accessories as part of the newly announced Designed
            for Flip program for third-party manufacturers. The FlipPort will appear on
            more Flip Video cameras going forward, meaning that new Flip camcorder
            owners will have access to the types of accessories available to more
            demanding video makers. The first wave of FlipPort accessories will include
            the Flip Video Battery Pack and iGo Overtime Battery Backup in October; the
            Mikey for Flip from Blue Microphones and wireless mic from Scosche
            Industries in November; and the Flip Video TV Dock in December or January.

            ==========

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • David Jones
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
              On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...> wrote:

              > Hey All.
              >
              > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
              >
              > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?

              The detailed specs are on the website.

              > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?

              The Kodak Zi8 is one of the best HD pocket cams with external mic in
              and a remote control.
              The problem with the pocket cams and external mics is you have no shoe
              mount to mount the mic, so they are kinda messy.

              Dave.
            • Joly MacFie
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
                Yeah I don't see any port on my ultra HD, must just be newer models - and
                all those add-ons still leave one with the 2hr limitation? (in fact 1hr 40
                on mine after other files)

                further points I will make on this are that while my flip has saved my bacon
                on more than one occasion when I've turned up to a shoot with flat batteries
                or forgotten tape on my dv cam I would not advise using it, or the Zi8 as a
                main cam - just he low light and zoom capabilities are a little crippling.
                It's worth spending$400/$500 and getting an SD card cam with a little morre
                oomph. Where the flip really works is as a second cam.

              • Joly MacFie
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
                  As David has pointed out to me off list SD in my comment could be
                  misconstrued - I mean SDHC, of course!

                  I've qot a query of my own though. I just got a laptop to use for occasional
                  live webcasts. It doesn't have firwire so I am going to have to get a usb
                  cam to feed it, something better than the Microsoft LiveCam I am currently
                  using. Sre there any probs getting a live video feed out of these new USB
                  SDHC cams or do they all do it? This is something the flip doesn't do btw.

                  On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

                  > Yeah I don't see any port on my ultra HD, must just be newer models - and
                  > all those add-ons still leave one with the 2hr limitation? (in fact 1hr 40
                  > on mine after other files)
                  >
                  > further points I will make on this are that while my flip has saved my
                  > bacon on more than one occasion when I've turned up to a shoot with flat
                  > batteries or forgotten tape on my dv cam I would not advise using it, or the
                  > Zi8 as a main cam - just he low light and zoom capabilities are a little
                  > crippling. It's worth spending$400/$500 and getting an SD card cam with a
                  > little morre oomph. Where the flip really works is as a second cam.

                  > Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
                  > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com

                • Bohuš
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
                    I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
                    updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
                    no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
                    panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
                    pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
                    forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
                    just buy batteries in a pinch.

                    You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
                    high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
                    custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
                    to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
                    very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.

                    I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
                    It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
                    long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
                    either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
                    yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
                    output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.

                    The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light, but it has many
                    many compelling features. mic input, VU meter (which could be
                    implemented better). I also wish that you could monitor incoming audio
                    with headphones, but that isn't possible either. Being able to swap
                    memory cards is very nice for longer projects. The PlayTouch lets you do
                    some rudimentary editing (chop off excess at beginning and end).

                    Get an EyeFI card, and you can suddenly upload videos wirelessly. Pick
                    up a Joby tripod, and you have lots of flexibility with mounting
                    options. Just give me a way to monitor output of the camera while I'm
                    recording, and it's the perfect little cam.

                    > I have tried 2 flips and they both died soon after purchase. The latest and
                    > best is the Zi8 from Kodak and it does have a external out mic that I have
                    > been able to use for a 1/8 adapter and a lapel mic for.
                    >
                    > The mic for flip is here.
                    >
                    > http://www.bluemic.com/mikeyforflip/
                    >

                    > Jim
                    >
                    > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM, neophoto3000<cjburdick@...>wrote:
                    >

                    >> Thanks! I'd also like to know which Flip model people most recommend.
                    >>

                    >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King<davidleeking@...>
                    >> wrote:
                    >>> Not remembering the name right now - I think it's the Mikey for the
                    >> FLip...
                    >>> but Blue Mics are making a mic that's designed for the Flip
                    >>> camera.
                    >>>
                    >>> Can someone provide a link?
                    >>>

                    >>> David Lee King
                    >>> davidleeking.com - blog
                    >>> davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                    >>> twitter | skype: davidleeking<http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

                    >> now

                    >> in

                    Bohus Blahut
                    (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                    modern filmmaker
                  • David Jones
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 3, 2011
                      2011/3/4 Bohuš <bohus@...>:

                      > I've been pretty successful with FLIPs, though I did brick one when
                      > updating the firmware. It took some pushing, but I got FLIP to fix it at
                      > no charge. I tend to recommend the Ultra, but for reasons purely of
                      > panic. it has a rechargeable battery pack, but when it goes flat you can
                      > pull it out and pop in conventional batteries. that's great for when you
                      > forget to recharge, and you still have stuff you want to shoot - you can
                      > just buy batteries in a pinch.
                      >
                      > You'll have to shop around for a new FLIP with the accessory port. It's
                      > high time FLIP offered such a thing, but it stinks that it's their own
                      > custom port. You can't use a microphone you might already have, you have
                      > to use theirs, etc. But FLIP is super easy to use, the software is also
                      > very simple, and it does a nice job in low light.
                      >
                      > I also have the Kodak Playtouch (unofficially referred to as the Zi10).
                      > It has standard jacks for a microphone, and an external power supply for
                      > long shoots. I've used it for interviews with success. I just wish that
                      > either of the cameras had a monitor that flipped out so you can see
                      > yourself in order to shoot. Or at least if one of them had a live feed
                      > output to connect to an external monitor of some kind.
                      >
                      > The Kodak doesn't perform quite as well in low light

                      The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                      lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                      latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                      canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                      http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

                      Dave.
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                        > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                        > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                        > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                        > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                        > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/

                        Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
                        personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
                        ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
                        more complex editing.

                        Jay
                      • theurbanreporter
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                          Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.

                          Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO

                          The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.

                          I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.

                          Best,

                          Amani Channel
                          http://www.webvideochefs.com
                          @urbanreporter @webvideochefs

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                          > Hey All.
                          >
                          > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                          >
                          > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
                          >
                          > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                          >
                          > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          >
                          > Chris

                        • neophoto3000
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                            Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.

                            I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

                            Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...

                            Chris

                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...> wrote:

                            > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p, 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
                            >
                            > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
                            >
                            > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
                            >
                            > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already answered this question.
                            >
                            > Best,
                            >
                            > Amani Channel
                            > http://www.webvideochefs.com
                            > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
                            >

                            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hey All.
                            > >
                            > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                            > >
                            > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as in what kind of connector)?
                            > >
                            > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                            > >
                            > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks!
                            > >
                            > > Chris

                          • neophoto3000
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                              Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount without having to get all MacGyvery.

                              The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                              Chris

                              > > The Kodak PlaySport, which supposedly has the exact same sensor and
                              > > lens system as the Zi8 isn't as bad in low light as I thought. My
                              > > latest blog video shot with the PlaySport was shot in a very dark
                              > > canyon, and some of the footage was surprisingly good:
                              > > http://www.eevblog.com/2011/03/03/eevblog-151-extech-multimeter-canyon-trip/
                              >
                              > Ill just add that in the past year, I've shot the majority if my
                              > personal video using my iPhone. Good quality, decent sound, the
                              > ability to upload automatically, and easy to sync to my computer for
                              > more complex editing.
                              >
                              > Jay

                            • Joly MacFie
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                                You will find refurbs on ebay. Nothing wrong with them.

                                On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...>wrote:

                                > Thanks, everybody. The Kodak seems to be the way to go.
                                >
                                > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some
                                > models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at
                                > the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my
                                > videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy
                                > mega-cam.
                                >
                                > Okay, off now to burn a new hole in my credit card...
                                >
                                > Chris
                                >

                                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Not to disrespect but eff a Flip. I'm not convinced that the Blue mic is
                                > the most affordable solution. Check out the Kodak Zi8. Shoots 1080p, 720p,
                                > 720/60, and the best part (drum roll) the almighty mic input. You can use a
                                > Flip or Zi8 with a tripod too.
                                > >
                                > > Check out this example: http://bit.ly/h2HztO
                                > >
                                > > The only thing about the Kodak is that you have to buy a SD card, but it
                                > gives you control over how much video you can capture. If you're using it
                                > in the field, buy a couple of batteries too.
                                > >
                                > > I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if someone already
                                > answered this question.
                                > >
                                > > Best,
                                > >
                                > > Amani Channel
                                > > http://www.webvideochefs.com
                                > > @urbanreporter @webvideochefs
                                > >

                                > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "neophoto3000" <cjburdick@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hey All.
                                > > >
                                > > > I've been shooting MiniDV on a Canon ZR800 for a few years now, but am
                                > now wanting to go HD and am thinking about getting a Flip.
                                > > >
                                > > > My question: do Flips take external microphones? If so, what kind (as
                                > in what kind of connector)?
                                > > >
                                > > > If not, are there HD alternatives in the Flip price range that are
                                > comparable in quality and do take external mics?
                                > > >
                                > > > Also (silly question), are Flips tripod-ready?
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks!
                                > > >
                                > > > Chris

                              • Richard Amirault
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                                  From: "neophoto3000"

                                  > Jay, I have a 4th gen Touch and I agree it shoots quality video. The
                                  > problem is I need something with just a bit more heft--I've thrown out
                                  > bars of soap bigger than the Touch--and something I can tripod-mount
                                  > without having to get all MacGyvery.
                                  >
                                  > The sad truth is that when I'm shooting something inconsequential, I'm as
                                  > smooth a handheld operator as there is. But when I try to shoot footage
                                  > that way for one of my shows, I spazz out and become Mr. Unsteadicam...

                                  Mount it on a bracket/frame often used for DSLR video cams. The extra weight
                                  added to the fact that you are using both hands gives you added steadyness.
                                  It may look a bit strange .. but the end result is what you're after.

                                  Richard Amirault
                                  Boston, MA, USA
                                  http://n1jdu.org
                                  http://bostonfandom.org
                                • Bohuš
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                                    On 3/5/2011 7:12 PM, neophoto3000 wrote:
                                    > I understand these "pocket" camcorders aren't quite up to the specs of some models just a few hundred dollars more expensive, but every buck counts at the moment. And this is just a short-term means of bumping the quality of my videos until I can afford to go all out and splurge on some super-fancy mega-cam.

                                    Just to throw one more thought out there, I've been super happy with a
                                    Canon HV-20 that I bought used for next to nothing. True, it shoots on
                                    tape... which is nice because it doesn't compress the image quite as
                                    hard. It also has the flip out LCD that I can face toward myself, which
                                    is indispensable. You can wide angle add-on lenses as well as use any
                                    mic that has an 1/8" jack. It shoot 24p too, which is a favorite mode
                                    for me.

                                    So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                                    material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital, but
                                    it's a trade-off I don't mind. Were I using a FLIP style cam for
                                    blogging myself, I'd likely go with the Kodak... though I'd really miss
                                    being able to see myself in the LCD display. I also do a lot of product
                                    close-ups, so the macro lens it offers would be valuable to me... adn
                                    though the mic input setup is a little funky, it does work...

                                    Not that any of that was helpful... ;)

                                    Bohus Blahut
                                    (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                                    modern filmmaker
                                  • Richard Amirault
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                      From: "Bohus"
                                      (snip)
                                      > So the only liability I see is that it takes a bit longer to get
                                      > material off of the camera's tape than if it were entirely digital,
                                      (snip)

                                      It *is* "entirely digital". Just because it is recorded on tape does not
                                      automatically make it analog.

                                      Richard Amirault
                                      Boston, MA, USA
                                      http://n1jdu.org
                                      http://bostonfandom.org
                                    • Bohuš
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                        On 3/6/2011 10:34 AM, Richard Amirault wrote:
> [...]

                                        I'm well aware it's a digital file - sorry, i can see where it sounds
                                        like I was saying the opposite. Right - the tie aspect comes in that the
                                        transfer from a digital tape will always be in real time, where if it
                                        were a file on a camera's SD card it would be somewhat faster.

                                        I struggle with this at work actually - we use broadcast cameras that
                                        record directly onto memory cards, but occasionally I bring in my Canon
                                        XL-H1 HDV camera, and some guys at my work think I'm delivering an
                                        inferior product... even though they're both digital material as you say.

                                        Bohus Blahut
                                        (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                                        modern filmmaker
                                      • mikemoon_ca
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                          Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.

                                          Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).

                                          BUT...
                                          I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                          The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )

                                          ALSO...
                                          I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.

                                          I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.

                                          Mike
                                          http://MikeMoon.ca

                                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                                        • neophoto3000
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                            I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                                            Chris

                                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "mikemoon_ca" <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                            > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                            >
                                            > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8, except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20 magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                            >
                                            > BUT...
                                            > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone, and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share, right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                            > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic lens as the above. ( http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                            >
                                            > ALSO...
                                            > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20. You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                            >
                                            > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                            >
                                            > Mike
                                            > http://MikeMoon.ca
                                            >

                                            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@> wrote:

                                          • David Jones
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                              On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM, neophoto3000 <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                                              > I generally only have 2 or 3 spare GB on my iPod Touch. About how much "footage" could I record?

                                              Any decent 1280x720 H.264 footage is going to be around 8-9Mbit/sec,
                                              but depends on the codec.
                                              At that ballpark you are talking approx 1MB/sec = 60MB/min = 3.6GB/hour.

                                              Dave.
                                            • David Lee King
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                                Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                                http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/

                                                It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                                quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!

                                                And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                                survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                                clean :-)

                                                On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                                > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                                >
                                                > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                                > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                                > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                                > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                                > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                                > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                                >
                                                > BUT...
                                                > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                                > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                                > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                                > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                                > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                                > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                                > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                                > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                                > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                                > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                                > lens as the above. (
                                                > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                                >
                                                > ALSO...
                                                > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                                > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                                > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                                > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                                > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                                >
                                                > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                                >
                                                > Mike
                                                > http://MikeMoon.ca
                                                >

                                                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Bohuš <bohus@...> wrote:

                                              • John Cardenas
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                                  after almost 3 years of being away from China I am back and one of my first issues was to try to use my usual social network sites and video ones too...sad to realize that the blocking and filtering by the great firewall of China is stronger than before....

                                                  It affects to the ones that we have nothing to do with other issues.I just wanna interact with my tribe and friends and my audience in general all over the world through my usual photovideoblogging style.

                                                  anyways I can access my american server through FTP but I can not see my website on line from here.... so, to the ones who are in contact with me through youtube,facebook and twitter,check my updates in my website  http://www.cardren.com

                                                  regards from inside the Great Firewall of China

                                                  John Dkar .... The Photovideoblogger

                                                • neophoto3000
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Mar 6, 2011
                                                    Wow! Pretty amazing difference.

                                                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:

                                                    > Here's the link to that video/info about the i-Microphone -
                                                    > http://www.davidleeking.com/2011/02/21/i-microphone-for-the-iphone/
                                                    >
                                                    > It plugs into an iphone/ipod touch/ipad, and basically boosts the audio
                                                    > quite a bit. You'll definitely hear the difference in my video!
                                                    >
                                                    > And an aside - it's a small mic, fits in your pocket ... and mine has just
                                                    > survived the washing mashine/dryer, too. Still works, and it's now very
                                                    > clean :-)
                                                    >
                                                    > David Lee King
                                                    > davidleeking.com - blog
                                                    > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                                                    > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>
                                                    >

                                                    > On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM, mikemoon_ca <mgmoon@...> wrote:
                                                    >

                                                    > > Hey folks, thought I'd chime in.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Currently I own the Kodak Playsport. It's basically the same as the Zi8,
                                                    > > except it can go underwater and doesn't have a mic port. I really like this
                                                    > > camcorder and the video is wonderful. It is NOT Final Cut file format
                                                    > > friendly and will require converting for it to work. I did add a fish-eye
                                                    > > (super wide angle) lens as I felt the regular POV was too close. Just a $20
                                                    > > magnetic lens ment for cell phones, but it works great. (
                                                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxUu1d5EB8 ).
                                                    > >
                                                    > > BUT...
                                                    > > I got an iPod Touch (basically an iPhone without the phone), and I find I'm
                                                    > > using it way more than the Kodak. It's small, fits in my pocket, so I carry
                                                    > > it everywhere with me. It has two lenses/camcorders built in. One shoots
                                                    > > forward and one towards you. Lots and lots of different apps to allow you to
                                                    > > play. The Kodak is relegated to my briefcase. I find the iPod is way better
                                                    > > in low light situations. David Lee King recently got a mic for his iPhone,
                                                    > > and the audio is wonderful. (Can't find the link). With all the processor
                                                    > > power in this unit, I can shoot, edit, add textures, upload, post and share,
                                                    > > right from the iPod. No need to go to the computer.
                                                    > > The front facing lens is wide angle, but not HD. I added the same magnetic
                                                    > > lens as the above. (
                                                    > > http://mikemoon.net/vlog/2010/12/28/fisheye-ipod-touch/ )
                                                    > >
                                                    > > ALSO...
                                                    > > I use to own the Canon HV20 camcorder, and it's SWEET! Yes you have to run
                                                    > > the tape through the PC/Mac to capture, but it's very beautiful video and
                                                    > > sound. Certainly a highend camcorder with a much lower price point. I
                                                    > > personally wanted portability and was the only reason I got rid of the HV20.
                                                    > > You won't be disappointed. Very high ratings on most review sites.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I have lots of samples if you'd like. Let me know.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Mike
                                                    > > http://MikeMoon.ca

                                                  • neophoto3000
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                                                      After mulling everything over, I decided to order the Kodak Zi8. The video I shoot with my iPod Touch is decent, but I'm not happy with the way it handles skin tones. And anyway, the Zi8 is just a hundred bucks on Amazon.

                                                      Thanks again, everybody!
                                                      Chris