Which kind of websites are used for publishing UGC?

  • Jenna
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2011
      hi there,

      I am wondering which platform or combination of platforms you prefer to publish your video blog. What is the actual trend and why? What do you think?

      I was a bit irritated when I read statistics for the production of user generated videos in Germany. There was only mentioned how many people upload own video content on video platforms without considering publishing on private websites. Do you also think that private websites for user generated videos can be neglected because almost everybody publishes its videos at least at one platform (additional or exclusively)? …in my case, I have uploaded some self-made videos only on my private website.

      Have a good time
      Jenna
    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2011
        On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Jenna <mail@...> wrote:

        > hi there,
        >
        > I am wondering which platform or combination of platforms you prefer to publish your video blog. What is the actual trend and why? What do you think?

        I host my HD video blog exclusively on Youtube for the simple fact
        that it is where the action is for content like mine, I'd be foolish
        to use anything else.
        Probably around half of my overall regular views come from my Youtube
        subscribers, the other half come from people who visit my Wordpress
        blog directly which has the Youtube videos embedded.
        I have tried other platforms like Vimeo, but they just didn't compare
        in terms of exposure.

        Youtube also brings me around 5000+ views a day from people just
        randomly searching for my stuff, and given that Youtube is like the
        worlds 3rd largest search engine or something, it's certainly the
        place to be. On many niche search terms, I practically own the space
        on youtube.

        Once I realised Youtube was the place to be for exposure, it made
        sense to consolidate my videos and views there, and to not dilute my
        views by using say Vimeo on my wordpress blog site, there was just no
        point to it.

        For my podcast version (480x270) I host the video files locally on my
        server, so anyone who watches via iTunes or other reader via RSS gets
        that version. Probably around 1/4 of my viewers chose this option. It
        does put a strain on my server though when thousands start downloading
        50-100MB video files at once, but it seem to cope for now.

        As always, YMMV.

        Dave.
      • StanH
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24, 2011
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jenna" <mail@...> wrote:

          >... I was a bit irritated when I read statistics for the production of
          user generated videos in Germany. There was only mentioned how many
          people upload own video content on video platforms without considering
          publishing on private websites. ...

          I'm glad this question has resurfaced now when we have so many new
          formats and platforms to consider.
          Hosting sites such as YouTube and Vimeo are great for not only
          attracting viewers (YouTube in particular) but also for allowing videos
          to be accessed and embedded by a variety of platforms and browsers. I
          use both for these reasons.
          But form should follow content. I hate being dictated to or constrained
          by technology.
          I like the "rich media" -- an aggregate of video, text, graphics, still
          photos in a content menu system so that the visitor is not led around by
          chronology as in a blog or timeline of shows. Here is where I design my
          own websites and it is here where embedding videos in YouTube and Vimeo
          have two serious limitations: 1. The latency (delay before play) in
          remote hosts is disruptive of the flow of content. My Flash videos,
          hosted on Dreamhost, pretty much pop in right after the poster image is
          clicked. It is improving on YouTube.
          2. Once the video starts downloading the play can pause or stop but the
          download progresses. If you have several videos on the same page and
          move from one to another down the page before the download stops in
          short order you get all sorts of buffering problems and delays. Using
          the vPIP embedded player I did not have this problem at all.
          But now we have this crazy issue of the industry creating data rot by
          not allowing old Flash videos to be played on many units. Mobile
          players are being used by an audience that I value yet Apple has not
          seen fit to allow my old videos to play on iOS and Android does not have
          uniform updates for Flash 10.2.
          Right now I don't see a good solution.
          Stan
          Stan Hirsonhttp://PinePlainsViews.comhttp://LifeWithHorses.com

        • theurbanreporter
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2011
            Interesting question Jenna.

            A couple of thoughts. I think you should be considering a couple of points. Do you want to retain relative control over your content, and only let people share it from your site, or do you want the greater digital/social media community to have the chance of discovering it on a network. Of course YouTube is the first that comes to mind, but there are others: Blip, Revver, Metacafe for example.

            As far as what kind of website is used, I believe that any blog platform is more than sufficient for sharing independent content. I started on blogger, then moved onto WordPress. That being said, I also mass distribute, syndicate, and share all of my vlog content videos using Tubemogul.com (http://www.youtube.com/myurbanreport)

            I also don't know if USG is the most accurate term because I also use YouTube to share my professional production projects (http://www.youtube.com/visualeyemedia.com)

            And to top it off we just launched a video production/tech tutorial website called www.webvideochefs.com. My partner and I are taking a more conservative approach to mass sharing our videos. Some of our content will be on video communities, but our goal is to build the site into a destination where people can learn, interact, and ask questions about Web video production.

            Sorry for the lengthy response, but you got me going!

            Any thoughts folks?

            Cheers!

            Amani Channel
            http://www.myurbanreport.com (twitter @urbanreporter)