Re: [videoblogging] cheap background music?

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "David Jones"
      (snip)
      > Maybe I got a reviewer that was having a bad day or something...
      > But the best thing to do is simply avoid using anything you didn't
      > create yourself.
      (snip)
      > Youtube take the Partner system very seriously, and the rules are
      > rigorously enforced.

      Yes, but ... MOST folks do not have a "partner" membership. I suspect that,
      yes, YouTube enforces the rules more vigorously on videos posted by Partner
      members.

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org
    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
        On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

        True.
        If you aren't a partner then you have much less to worry about, and
        less to lose.

        > I suspect that,
        > yes, YouTube enforces the rules more vigorously on videos posted by Partner
        > members.

        Yes, they do, because you are generating revenue from the ads.

        If you enable ads for a video as a Partner, then you have to tick
        boxes to say what type of content you are using, and then you have to
        give an explanation of what rights you own, and supply proof of what
        rights you have been given etc.
        Each video then needs to be individually approved.
        That gets rather annoying if you own all the rights and just upload a
        regular video blog with just you in it.
        if you tick no to everything and say you own all the rights, then it
        just gets rubber stamped. But try anything different and you might get
        the third degree.

        If you don't enabled ads on a video, then you don't get the rigmarole
        and just go through the basic procedure as any Youtube user would. But
        if you get caught out, you risk using your Partnership.

        Dave.
      • Sunny
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
          Yep, iClone is sounding better and better... LOL!

          Here's a question: How do you prove something is your creation? It seems to me that producing a receipt for a purchase is a lot
          easier than trying to say you created it yourself, and have YouTube think you are lying. ??

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
            Ah! Mystery solved!
            I did not know there was anything other than just having a YouTube account. I always thought that "partner" meant someone simply
            had a YouTube account. Now I feel a bit better...and how to avoid hassle...just stay out of the "partner stuff". :)

            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
              On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

              > Yep, iClone is sounding better and better... LOL!
              >
              > Here's a question: How do you prove something is your creation?

              You don't have to initially, they take your word for it. Unless they
              get a complaint or their auto detection stuff catches you out, and
              then you have some explaining to do.

              > It seems to me that producing a receipt for a purchase is a lot
              > easier than trying to say you created it yourself, and have YouTube think you are lying. ??

              The problem is that with a Partner account, if you tick the "No" boxes
              and say it's all your own work, then they basically just approve it
              and take your word for it.
              But if you tick a "Yes" box that you have used someone else's work in
              the video (which you would have to do if you bought it) then your
              video gets flags and someone at Youtube will actually check that you
              own the rights. i.e. they look at your receipt, signed form, or other
              proof you give them.
              If they get even a hint that you may not own the rights, or your
              explanation isn't clear to them, your video gets canned. So you are at
              the mercy of someone looking at and interpreting the info you give
              them.

              That's why as a partner it's simply easier and less hassle to create
              everything yourself.

              For those who aren't partners and haven't seen the extra questions
              they ask when you upload a video, here it is:
              http://eevblog.com/images/misc/YoutubeUpload.png

              And yes, you have to fill in that for every video you upload,
              regardless if you have proven the same thing a hundred times before.

              Dave.
            • David Jones
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

                > Ah! Mystery solved!
                > I did not know there was anything other than just having a YouTube account. I always thought that "partner" meant someone simply
                > had a YouTube account. Now I feel a bit better...and how to avoid hassle...just stay out of the "partner stuff". :)

                On the contrary, becoming a Youtube partner is the holy grail for most
                Youtubers.
                It means you get to put ads on your videos and make money, among other
                benefits like no video time limits and extra channel creation stuff.

                Dave.
              • Richard Amirault
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2011
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2011
                    >I've recently uploaded two hour long videos without a problem.

                    To clarifly ... two videos each one hour long

                    Richard Amirault
                    Boston, MA, USA
                    http://n1jdu.org
                    http://bostonfandom.org