Re: [videoblogging] cheap background music?

  • Sunny
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
      Oh, that is NASTY!
      So far, I have not been hit by YouTube for anything else I have uploaded that was stock music.
      I guess they just haven't noticed me yet...and my time is coming... *sigh*

      Thanks for the warning!

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
        On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

        > Oh, that is NASTY!
        > So far, I have not been hit by YouTube for anything else I have uploaded that was stock music.
        > I guess they just haven't noticed me yet...and my time is coming... *sigh*

        Maybe I got a reviewer that was having a bad day or something...
        But the best thing to do is simply avoid using anything you didn't
        create yourself.
        That also includes having other people in your video. They might be
        your friends or family or whatever, but technically you have to get
        written permission from them to be in your video. And, as always, you
        have to prove that for every video you upload.

        Youtube take the Partner system very seriously, and the rules are
        rigorously enforced.

        Dave.
      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
          > Maybe I got a reviewer that was having a bad day or something...
          > But the best thing to do is simply avoid using anything you didn't
          > create yourself.
          (snip)
          > Youtube take the Partner system very seriously, and the rules are
          > rigorously enforced.

          Yes, but ... MOST folks do not have a "partner" membership. I suspect that,
          yes, YouTube enforces the rules more vigorously on videos posted by Partner
          members.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • David Jones
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
            On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

            True.
            If you aren't a partner then you have much less to worry about, and
            less to lose.

            > I suspect that,
            > yes, YouTube enforces the rules more vigorously on videos posted by Partner
            > members.

            Yes, they do, because you are generating revenue from the ads.

            If you enable ads for a video as a Partner, then you have to tick
            boxes to say what type of content you are using, and then you have to
            give an explanation of what rights you own, and supply proof of what
            rights you have been given etc.
            Each video then needs to be individually approved.
            That gets rather annoying if you own all the rights and just upload a
            regular video blog with just you in it.
            if you tick no to everything and say you own all the rights, then it
            just gets rubber stamped. But try anything different and you might get
            the third degree.

            If you don't enabled ads on a video, then you don't get the rigmarole
            and just go through the basic procedure as any Youtube user would. But
            if you get caught out, you risk using your Partnership.

            Dave.
          • Sunny
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
              Yep, iClone is sounding better and better... LOL!

              Here's a question: How do you prove something is your creation? It seems to me that producing a receipt for a purchase is a lot
              easier than trying to say you created it yourself, and have YouTube think you are lying. ??

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                Ah! Mystery solved!
                I did not know there was anything other than just having a YouTube account. I always thought that "partner" meant someone simply
                had a YouTube account. Now I feel a bit better...and how to avoid hassle...just stay out of the "partner stuff". :)

                Thanks!

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                  On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

                  > Yep, iClone is sounding better and better... LOL!
                  >
                  > Here's a question: How do you prove something is your creation?

                  You don't have to initially, they take your word for it. Unless they
                  get a complaint or their auto detection stuff catches you out, and
                  then you have some explaining to do.

                  > It seems to me that producing a receipt for a purchase is a lot
                  > easier than trying to say you created it yourself, and have YouTube think you are lying. ??

                  The problem is that with a Partner account, if you tick the "No" boxes
                  and say it's all your own work, then they basically just approve it
                  and take your word for it.
                  But if you tick a "Yes" box that you have used someone else's work in
                  the video (which you would have to do if you bought it) then your
                  video gets flags and someone at Youtube will actually check that you
                  own the rights. i.e. they look at your receipt, signed form, or other
                  proof you give them.
                  If they get even a hint that you may not own the rights, or your
                  explanation isn't clear to them, your video gets canned. So you are at
                  the mercy of someone looking at and interpreting the info you give
                  them.

                  That's why as a partner it's simply easier and less hassle to create
                  everything yourself.

                  For those who aren't partners and haven't seen the extra questions
                  they ask when you upload a video, here it is:
                  http://eevblog.com/images/misc/YoutubeUpload.png

                  And yes, you have to fill in that for every video you upload,
                  regardless if you have proven the same thing a hundred times before.

                  Dave.
                • David Jones
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                    On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

                    > Ah! Mystery solved!
                    > I did not know there was anything other than just having a YouTube account. I always thought that "partner" meant someone simply
                    > had a YouTube account. Now I feel a bit better...and how to avoid hassle...just stay out of the "partner stuff". :)

                    On the contrary, becoming a Youtube partner is the holy grail for most
                    Youtubers.
                    It means you get to put ads on your videos and make money, among other
                    benefits like no video time limits and extra channel creation stuff.

                    Dave.
                  • Richard Amirault
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 7, 2011
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 7, 2011
                        >I've recently uploaded two hour long videos without a problem.

                        To clarifly ... two videos each one hour long

                        Richard Amirault
                        Boston, MA, USA
                        http://n1jdu.org
                        http://bostonfandom.org