cheap background music?

  • Sunny
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
      I love this group! I have not yet come up with a vblog topic, and I am not very photogenic (downright ugly, actually), so I am
      considering using an iClone character (modeled after me in my skinnier days) and adding background music to it, once I come up with
      my topic.

      However, in the beginning of my video career, I got flagged by YouTube a couple times for using background music a client sent me
      that turned out to be copyrighted. I don't recognize a lot of today's music that's out there, but apparently YouTube does. :(
      Using stock music has saved my sanity (and my reputation) ever since, especially when someone can't tell me the name and artist of
      what they want me to use. Or they simply have no idea that "I bought that Rolling Stones CD, so the song is mine to use for this"
      has absolutely nothing to do with licensing it for use in a video. I can usually find something in my collection to steer us both
      away from trouble. LOL!.

      And this is one of the collections I use that is currently running their best sale.
      Their $249 pricing for the Complete Production Library is about to expire (2/9).
      They will NOT feature another sale, with pricing below $516.00 for at least one year, according to their latest email. .

      I know this to be true, because I bought the complete library last year (when there were fewer songs, and cheaper), and every few
      months I do a "complete me" purchase, to keep myself up-to-date on his new songs. The sooner you get into owning the complete
      library, the less painful it will be to keep up with it. :) I just completed myself on another sale they had for $1.80 a song last
      week, so I'm happy!

      http://www.stock20.com/gvr.php?rc=65xl2nv19647asd5v2x

      Each song has a LOT of variations and lengths. This has got to be one of the most affordable music libraries around when you get
      the complete library on these yearly sales.

      OH! Almost forgot!

      Footage Firm also just released their second set of 10 discs full of production music, FREE for the price of shipping. (and a lot
      of new footage for the same pricing)
      http://www.footagefirm.com/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=208&url=38

      One can never have too much music to choose from. :)

      Any other good sales going on out there?

    • Richard (Show) Hall
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
        I would strongly recommend a creative commons search - there's plenty of
        very good music that is licensed with creative commons, such that you can
        use it for free so long as you give proper attribution

        I collected some links for legal/free music here

        <http://makemedia.tv/resources/>

        (under legal music)

        Of course plenty of inexpensive audio editing programs, like garage band,
        have loops you can use legally. I notice that the new version of Premiere
        Elements (inexpensive video editor) has some sort of automated loop system,
        though I haven't tried it out, because it's not available for the mac
        version.

        ... peace ... richard

        On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

        > I love this group! I have not yet come up with a vblog topic, and I am not
        > very photogenic (downright ugly, actually), so I am
        > considering using an iClone character (modeled after me in my skinnier
        > days) and adding background music to it, once I come up with
        > my topic.
        >
        > However, in the beginning of my video career, I got flagged by YouTube a
        > couple times for using background music a client sent me
        > that turned out to be copyrighted. I don't recognize a lot of today's music
        > that's out there, but apparently YouTube does. :(
        > Using stock music has saved my sanity (and my reputation) ever since,
        > especially when someone can't tell me the name and artist of
        > what they want me to use. Or they simply have no idea that "I bought that
        > Rolling Stones CD, so the song is mine to use for this"
        > has absolutely nothing to do with licensing it for use in a video. I can
        > usually find something in my collection to steer us both
        > away from trouble. LOL!.
        >
        > And this is one of the collections I use that is currently running their
        > best sale.
        > Their $249 pricing for the Complete Production Library is about to expire
        > (2/9).
        > They will NOT feature another sale, with pricing below $516.00 for at least
        > one year, according to their latest email. .
        >
        > I know this to be true, because I bought the complete library last year
        > (when there were fewer songs, and cheaper), and every few
        > months I do a "complete me" purchase, to keep myself up-to-date on his new
        > songs. The sooner you get into owning the complete
        > library, the less painful it will be to keep up with it. :) I just
        > completed myself on another sale they had for $1.80 a song last
        > week, so I'm happy!
        >
        > http://www.stock20.com/gvr.php?rc=65xl2nv19647asd5v2x
        >
        > Each song has a LOT of variations and lengths. This has got to be one of
        > the most affordable music libraries around when you get
        > the complete library on these yearly sales.
        >
        > OH! Almost forgot!
        >
        > Footage Firm also just released their second set of 10 discs full of
        > production music, FREE for the price of shipping. (and a lot
        > of new footage for the same pricing)
        > http://www.footagefirm.com/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=208&url=38
        >
        > One can never have too much music to choose from. :)
        >
        > Any other good sales going on out there?

        Richard (Show) Hall
        Professor: <http://mst.edu/~rhall>
        Videographer: <http://richardshow.org>
        Musician <http://blisshippy.com>

      • David Jones
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
          On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

          > I love this group! I have not yet come up with a vblog topic, and I am not very photogenic (downright ugly, actually), so I am
          > considering using an iClone character (modeled after me in my skinnier days) and adding background music to it, once I come up with
          > my topic.
          >
          > However, in the beginning of my video career, I got flagged by YouTube a couple times for using background music a client sent me
          > that turned out to be copyrighted. I don't recognize a lot of today's music that's out there, but apparently YouTube does. :(
          > Using stock music has saved my sanity (and my reputation) ever since, especially when someone can't tell me the name and artist of
          > what they want me to use. Or they simply have no idea that "I bought that Rolling Stones CD, so the song is mine to use for this"
          > has absolutely nothing to do with licensing it for use in a video. I can usually find something in my collection to steer us both
          > away from trouble. LOL!.
          >
          > And this is one of the collections I use that is currently running their best sale.
          > Their $249 pricing for the Complete Production Library is about to expire (2/9).
          > They will NOT feature another sale, with pricing below $516.00 for at least one year, according to their latest email. .
          >
          > I know this to be true, because I bought the complete library last year (when there were fewer songs, and cheaper), and every few
          > months I do a "complete me" purchase, to keep myself up-to-date on his new songs. The sooner you get into owning the complete
          > library, the less painful it will be to keep up with it. :) I just completed myself on another sale they had for $1.80 a song last
          > week, so I'm happy!
          >
          > http://www.stock20.com/gvr.php?rc=65xl2nv19647asd5v2x
          >
          > Each song has a LOT of variations and lengths. This has got to be one of the most affordable music libraries around when you get
          > the complete library on these yearly sales.
          >
          > OH! Almost forgot!
          >
          > Footage Firm also just released their second set of 10 discs full of production music, FREE for the price of shipping. (and a lot
          > of new footage for the same pricing)
          > http://www.footagefirm.com/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=208&url=38
          >
          > One can never have too much music to choose from. :)
          >
          > Any other good sales going on out there?

          The problem with "free", open source, and creative commons music etc
          is that as a Youtube Partner you still have to explain where you got
          the music from, and prove that you have the rights. And you have to do
          it for EVERY video you upload, which if you have a regular blog is
          just downright annoying.
          Even the music from Incompetech (Kevin MacLeod) that Youtube use as an
          example of what music is ok to use for their Partner program, you
          still have to "prove" where you got the music and link to and explain
          the that Incompetech specifically allow Partner use if attribution is
          given (Yes, Youtube check attributions too).
          I've been denied using Incompetech music before because I did not dot
          my I's and cross my T's on the explanation, even though I had proper
          attribution in place.
          It's even more annoying if you have a music friend do your into and/or
          end music for you for free. You have to get a signed release and send
          that to Youtube for every video you upload.

          Even if you buy some form of music library and you have the rights to
          use it in your video, you still have to prove this to Youtube, once
          again for every video you upload.

          So I now use modified auto generated music that is included within my
          VideoStudio software. I just modify the pitch and other stuff and use
          it as a tool to generate original music. So now I can simply say "all
          music is my own creation, I own all rights".

          Dave.
        • Sunny
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
            Oh, that is NASTY!
            So far, I have not been hit by YouTube for anything else I have uploaded that was stock music.
            I guess they just haven't noticed me yet...and my time is coming... *sigh*

            Thanks for the warning!

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
              On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

              > Oh, that is NASTY!
              > So far, I have not been hit by YouTube for anything else I have uploaded that was stock music.
              > I guess they just haven't noticed me yet...and my time is coming... *sigh*

              Maybe I got a reviewer that was having a bad day or something...
              But the best thing to do is simply avoid using anything you didn't
              create yourself.
              That also includes having other people in your video. They might be
              your friends or family or whatever, but technically you have to get
              written permission from them to be in your video. And, as always, you
              have to prove that for every video you upload.

              Youtube take the Partner system very seriously, and the rules are
              rigorously enforced.

              Dave.
            • Richard Amirault
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                From: "David Jones"
                (snip)
                > Maybe I got a reviewer that was having a bad day or something...
                > But the best thing to do is simply avoid using anything you didn't
                > create yourself.
                (snip)
                > Youtube take the Partner system very seriously, and the rules are
                > rigorously enforced.

                Yes, but ... MOST folks do not have a "partner" membership. I suspect that,
                yes, YouTube enforces the rules more vigorously on videos posted by Partner
                members.

                Richard Amirault
                Boston, MA, USA
                http://n1jdu.org
                http://bostonfandom.org
              • David Jones
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                  On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  True.
                  If you aren't a partner then you have much less to worry about, and
                  less to lose.

                  > I suspect that,
                  > yes, YouTube enforces the rules more vigorously on videos posted by Partner
                  > members.

                  Yes, they do, because you are generating revenue from the ads.

                  If you enable ads for a video as a Partner, then you have to tick
                  boxes to say what type of content you are using, and then you have to
                  give an explanation of what rights you own, and supply proof of what
                  rights you have been given etc.
                  Each video then needs to be individually approved.
                  That gets rather annoying if you own all the rights and just upload a
                  regular video blog with just you in it.
                  if you tick no to everything and say you own all the rights, then it
                  just gets rubber stamped. But try anything different and you might get
                  the third degree.

                  If you don't enabled ads on a video, then you don't get the rigmarole
                  and just go through the basic procedure as any Youtube user would. But
                  if you get caught out, you risk using your Partnership.

                  Dave.
                • Sunny
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                    Yep, iClone is sounding better and better... LOL!

                    Here's a question: How do you prove something is your creation? It seems to me that producing a receipt for a purchase is a lot
                    easier than trying to say you created it yourself, and have YouTube think you are lying. ??

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                      Ah! Mystery solved!
                      I did not know there was anything other than just having a YouTube account. I always thought that "partner" meant someone simply
                      had a YouTube account. Now I feel a bit better...and how to avoid hassle...just stay out of the "partner stuff". :)

                      Thanks!

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                        On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

                        > Yep, iClone is sounding better and better... LOL!
                        >
                        > Here's a question: How do you prove something is your creation?

                        You don't have to initially, they take your word for it. Unless they
                        get a complaint or their auto detection stuff catches you out, and
                        then you have some explaining to do.

                        > It seems to me that producing a receipt for a purchase is a lot
                        > easier than trying to say you created it yourself, and have YouTube think you are lying. ??

                        The problem is that with a Partner account, if you tick the "No" boxes
                        and say it's all your own work, then they basically just approve it
                        and take your word for it.
                        But if you tick a "Yes" box that you have used someone else's work in
                        the video (which you would have to do if you bought it) then your
                        video gets flags and someone at Youtube will actually check that you
                        own the rights. i.e. they look at your receipt, signed form, or other
                        proof you give them.
                        If they get even a hint that you may not own the rights, or your
                        explanation isn't clear to them, your video gets canned. So you are at
                        the mercy of someone looking at and interpreting the info you give
                        them.

                        That's why as a partner it's simply easier and less hassle to create
                        everything yourself.

                        For those who aren't partners and haven't seen the extra questions
                        they ask when you upload a video, here it is:
                        http://eevblog.com/images/misc/YoutubeUpload.png

                        And yes, you have to fill in that for every video you upload,
                        regardless if you have proven the same thing a hundred times before.

                        Dave.
                      • David Jones
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
                          On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Sunny <woodenuknow@...> wrote:

                          > Ah! Mystery solved!
                          > I did not know there was anything other than just having a YouTube account. I always thought that "partner" meant someone simply
                          > had a YouTube account. Now I feel a bit better...and how to avoid hassle...just stay out of the "partner stuff". :)

                          On the contrary, becoming a Youtube partner is the holy grail for most
                          Youtubers.
                          It means you get to put ads on your videos and make money, among other
                          benefits like no video time limits and extra channel creation stuff.

                          Dave.
                        • Richard Amirault
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 7, 2011
                            From: "David Jones"
                            > On the contrary, becoming a Youtube partner is the holy grail for most
                            > Youtubers.
                            > It means you get to put ads on your videos and make money, among other
                            > benefits like no video time limits and extra channel creation stuff.

                            YouTube removed the 15 min restriction on some regular accounts already. Who
                            they choose for this, and what criteria do they use? I have no idea .. but
                            I'm included. I've recently uploaded two hour long videos without a problem.
                            It may be that most are now included and only those who have had "problems"
                            in the past are still restricted.

                            Richard Amirault
                            Boston, MA, USA
                            http://n1jdu.org
                            http://bostonfandom.org
                          • Richard Amirault
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 7, 2011
                              From: "Richard Amirault"

                              >I've recently uploaded two hour long videos without a problem.

                              To clarifly ... two videos each one hour long

                              Richard Amirault
                              Boston, MA, USA
                              http://n1jdu.org
                              http://bostonfandom.org