Re: Video camera - lighting

  • Adam Mercado
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
      The thing about indoor lighting is keeping things even and natural.
      You need a larger diffuse source for yoylur key and some bounce for
      fill. The intense light works for a backlight known as rim light or
      kicker. To get a large diffuse source you need to add some diffusion
      gels to the Lowels or bounce them off a large white surface or spend a
      wad of cash on a soft box. I like to bounce my key off the walls or
      ceiling to fill the room with light and add some blue kicker for
      interest.

      Adam Mercado
      Influxx Media Production

    • DarylU
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
        yes, I have used the umbrellas, and I have one of those diffusion sheets that you use to soften the lighting. I have used the 3/4 portrait lighting.

        But what is blue Kicker lighting.

        I guess you are saying for interviewing inside you should have additional lighting and not rely on camera.
      • David Jones
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
          On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM, DarylU <daryl@...> wrote:

          > thanks again.
          >
          > I have had a problem before with sound so they external mic looks like a good solution.
          >
          > One thing I am not sure if we addressed was inside lighting. Will the camera take care of most of this? I don't want to get into an elaborate lighting set-up, but will I ever need any at anytime? I do have lighting stands and 2 lowel Tota-light 800W 6.3a 50/60hz but they seem to be more trouble than good bleaching out the video highlights.Have had beet luck with shop lights and 60 watt bulbs.

          Any good camera will let you adjust the white balance and other stuff
          like 50/60hz flicker, but if it doesn't get enough light in the first
          place then results can be poor with the lower end (affordable)
          cameras.

          My lab where I film is only lit with two 30W tubular strip fluoro's
          which is barely adequate.
          I have defused studio lights, but they only come out for special
          occasions, no room to leave them permanently set up.

          Dave.