Re: Video camera

  • DarylU
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 15, 2011
      thank you for all the responses.
      Where do you find the best pricing on purchasing this equipment?
    • compumavengal
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 15, 2011
        I'm recording poets in a challenging environment. I'm buying an H1 Zoom that is on sale this weekend. The external mic thing is very important if you think you are going to do any kind of interviewing.

        If you can find a consumer level camcorder that has an external jack that is fine but if the camcorder that best meets your needs doesn't have one or you can't afford it definitely plan on getting a quality external mic.

        Assuming you are in the US you can find comparative pricing information via:

        CNet http://reviews.cnet.com/camcorders/?tag=hdr;snav

        Shopper.com http://shopper.cnet.com/compare-camcorders/?tag=leftColumnArea.0

        http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

        Google Shopping - type in the name of the camcorder then hit the Shopping link above the search box.

        Gena
        http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com/
        http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
          thanks again.

          I have had a problem before with sound so they external mic looks like a good solution.

          One thing I am not sure if we addressed was inside lighting. Will the camera take care of most of this? I don't want to get into an elaborate lighting set-up, but will I ever need any at anytime? I do have lighting stands and 2 lowel Tota-light 800W 6.3a 50/60hz but they seem to be more trouble than good bleaching out the video highlights.Have had beet luck with shop lights and 60 watt bulbs.
        • Adam Mercado
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
            The thing about indoor lighting is keeping things even and natural.
            You need a larger diffuse source for yoylur key and some bounce for
            fill. The intense light works for a backlight known as rim light or
            kicker. To get a large diffuse source you need to add some diffusion
            gels to the Lowels or bounce them off a large white surface or spend a
            wad of cash on a soft box. I like to bounce my key off the walls or
            ceiling to fill the room with light and add some blue kicker for
            interest.

            Adam Mercado
            Influxx Media Production

          • DarylU
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
              yes, I have used the umbrellas, and I have one of those diffusion sheets that you use to soften the lighting. I have used the 3/4 portrait lighting.

              But what is blue Kicker lighting.

              I guess you are saying for interviewing inside you should have additional lighting and not rely on camera.
            • David Jones
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
                On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM, DarylU <daryl@...> wrote:

                > thanks again.
                >
                > I have had a problem before with sound so they external mic looks like a good solution.
                >
                > One thing I am not sure if we addressed was inside lighting. Will the camera take care of most of this? I don't want to get into an elaborate lighting set-up, but will I ever need any at anytime? I do have lighting stands and 2 lowel Tota-light 800W 6.3a 50/60hz but they seem to be more trouble than good bleaching out the video highlights.Have had beet luck with shop lights and 60 watt bulbs.

                Any good camera will let you adjust the white balance and other stuff
                like 50/60hz flicker, but if it doesn't get enough light in the first
                place then results can be poor with the lower end (affordable)
                cameras.

                My lab where I film is only lit with two 30W tubular strip fluoro's
                which is barely adequate.
                I have defused studio lights, but they only come out for special
                occasions, no room to leave them permanently set up.

                Dave.