Re: Video camera

  • DarylU
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 14, 2011
      It would be shooting artist painting outside (plein air style) or indoors in a studio. In addition it would include interviews in either location.

      Looking for a good one man set-up. Published initially to the internet, potentially to TV.

      Hope this helps.

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]
    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 14, 2011
        On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:23 AM, DarylU <daryl@...> wrote:

        > It would be shooting artist painting outside (plein air style) or indoors in a studio. In addition it would include interviews in either location.
        >
        > Looking for a good one man set-up. Published initially to the internet, potentially to TV.

        Don't even consider getting any video camera that does not have
        external microphone input.
        Good quality audio is *essential* for any video production. Use an
        external mic, forget internal mics, they are hopeless, simple as that.
        One of the best video mics in the industry is the Rode VideoMic, made
        in Australia, and it's only about $130.
        A camera with a cold shoe mount on top for the mic is advantageous.
        The Sanyo Xacti HD-1010 or HD-2000 is a popular low cost choice for HD
        video, but plenty of others around.
        Most low cost HD camcorder need plenty of light indoors for good
        results. Forgot a camera that claims more than say x10 optical zoom,
        it's designed for comsumers and not quality video work, and means it
        has a small sensor that will likely perform poorly in less than
        optimum light.
        For outdoors work a wind sock (dead cat) is probably essential.

        Dave.
      • DarylU
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 15, 2011
          thank you for all the responses.
          Where do you find the best pricing on purchasing this equipment?
        • compumavengal
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 15, 2011
            I'm recording poets in a challenging environment. I'm buying an H1 Zoom that is on sale this weekend. The external mic thing is very important if you think you are going to do any kind of interviewing.

            If you can find a consumer level camcorder that has an external jack that is fine but if the camcorder that best meets your needs doesn't have one or you can't afford it definitely plan on getting a quality external mic.

            Assuming you are in the US you can find comparative pricing information via:

            CNet http://reviews.cnet.com/camcorders/?tag=hdr;snav

            Shopper.com http://shopper.cnet.com/compare-camcorders/?tag=leftColumnArea.0

            http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

            Google Shopping - type in the name of the camcorder then hit the Shopping link above the search box.

            Gena
            http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com/
            http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com/

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
              thanks again.

              I have had a problem before with sound so they external mic looks like a good solution.

              One thing I am not sure if we addressed was inside lighting. Will the camera take care of most of this? I don't want to get into an elaborate lighting set-up, but will I ever need any at anytime? I do have lighting stands and 2 lowel Tota-light 800W 6.3a 50/60hz but they seem to be more trouble than good bleaching out the video highlights.Have had beet luck with shop lights and 60 watt bulbs.
            • Adam Mercado
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
                The thing about indoor lighting is keeping things even and natural.
                You need a larger diffuse source for yoylur key and some bounce for
                fill. The intense light works for a backlight known as rim light or
                kicker. To get a large diffuse source you need to add some diffusion
                gels to the Lowels or bounce them off a large white surface or spend a
                wad of cash on a soft box. I like to bounce my key off the walls or
                ceiling to fill the room with light and add some blue kicker for
                interest.

                Adam Mercado
                Influxx Media Production

              • DarylU
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
                  yes, I have used the umbrellas, and I have one of those diffusion sheets that you use to soften the lighting. I have used the 3/4 portrait lighting.

                  But what is blue Kicker lighting.

                  I guess you are saying for interviewing inside you should have additional lighting and not rely on camera.
                • David Jones
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
                    On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM, DarylU <daryl@...> wrote:

                    > thanks again.
                    >
                    > I have had a problem before with sound so they external mic looks like a good solution.
                    >
                    > One thing I am not sure if we addressed was inside lighting. Will the camera take care of most of this? I don't want to get into an elaborate lighting set-up, but will I ever need any at anytime? I do have lighting stands and 2 lowel Tota-light 800W 6.3a 50/60hz but they seem to be more trouble than good bleaching out the video highlights.Have had beet luck with shop lights and 60 watt bulbs.

                    Any good camera will let you adjust the white balance and other stuff
                    like 50/60hz flicker, but if it doesn't get enough light in the first
                    place then results can be poor with the lower end (affordable)
                    cameras.

                    My lab where I film is only lit with two 30W tubular strip fluoro's
                    which is barely adequate.
                    I have defused studio lights, but they only come out for special
                    occasions, no room to leave them permanently set up.

                    Dave.