Video camera

  • DarylU
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 14, 2011
      What would be a good video camera to shoot indoor and out dooor with good built in audio. I am not planning on using additional lighting or microphones. Is this possible?

      IF not what would be the best minimal set up of equipment.
    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 14, 2011
        From: "DarylU"

        > What would be a good video camera to shoot indoor and out dooor with good
        > built in audio. I am not planning on using additional lighting or
        > microphones. Is this possible?
        >
        > IF not what would be the best minimal set up of equipment.

        To do what? You'll need to give us more information on what you want to do.
        I think the basic first question would be ... do you want (or need) to shoot
        in HD? How do you define "good built in audio"? ANY camcorder will give
        better audio with an external microphone (or seperate audio recorder) What
        type of shooting are you planning on doing?

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 14, 2011
          I just went through this on another list. You might not think you any
          additional microphones but if you are shooting any kind of talking head you
          will change your mind rapidly.

          Cheapest cam with external mic in is Kodak Zi8 - $99 refurb

          Probably worth going an extra $50 for a refurb Canon FS200

          Myself I would suggest getting a Zoom H1 audio recorder $99 to use as a
          handheld/ back up.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 14, 2011
            It would be shooting artist painting outside (plein air style) or indoors in a studio. In addition it would include interviews in either location.

            Looking for a good one man set-up. Published initially to the internet, potentially to TV.

            Hope this helps.

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]
          • David Jones
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2011
              On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:23 AM, DarylU <daryl@...> wrote:

              > It would be shooting artist painting outside (plein air style) or indoors in a studio. In addition it would include interviews in either location.
              >
              > Looking for a good one man set-up. Published initially to the internet, potentially to TV.

              Don't even consider getting any video camera that does not have
              external microphone input.
              Good quality audio is *essential* for any video production. Use an
              external mic, forget internal mics, they are hopeless, simple as that.
              One of the best video mics in the industry is the Rode VideoMic, made
              in Australia, and it's only about $130.
              A camera with a cold shoe mount on top for the mic is advantageous.
              The Sanyo Xacti HD-1010 or HD-2000 is a popular low cost choice for HD
              video, but plenty of others around.
              Most low cost HD camcorder need plenty of light indoors for good
              results. Forgot a camera that claims more than say x10 optical zoom,
              it's designed for comsumers and not quality video work, and means it
              has a small sensor that will likely perform poorly in less than
              optimum light.
              For outdoors work a wind sock (dead cat) is probably essential.

              Dave.
            • DarylU
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 15, 2011
                thank you for all the responses.
                Where do you find the best pricing on purchasing this equipment?
              • compumavengal
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 15, 2011
                  I'm recording poets in a challenging environment. I'm buying an H1 Zoom that is on sale this weekend. The external mic thing is very important if you think you are going to do any kind of interviewing.

                  If you can find a consumer level camcorder that has an external jack that is fine but if the camcorder that best meets your needs doesn't have one or you can't afford it definitely plan on getting a quality external mic.

                  Assuming you are in the US you can find comparative pricing information via:

                  CNet http://reviews.cnet.com/camcorders/?tag=hdr;snav

                  Shopper.com http://shopper.cnet.com/compare-camcorders/?tag=leftColumnArea.0

                  http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

                  Google Shopping - type in the name of the camcorder then hit the Shopping link above the search box.

                  Gena
                  http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com/
                  http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com/

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
                    thanks again.

                    I have had a problem before with sound so they external mic looks like a good solution.

                    One thing I am not sure if we addressed was inside lighting. Will the camera take care of most of this? I don't want to get into an elaborate lighting set-up, but will I ever need any at anytime? I do have lighting stands and 2 lowel Tota-light 800W 6.3a 50/60hz but they seem to be more trouble than good bleaching out the video highlights.Have had beet luck with shop lights and 60 watt bulbs.
                  • Adam Mercado
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
                      The thing about indoor lighting is keeping things even and natural.
                      You need a larger diffuse source for yoylur key and some bounce for
                      fill. The intense light works for a backlight known as rim light or
                      kicker. To get a large diffuse source you need to add some diffusion
                      gels to the Lowels or bounce them off a large white surface or spend a
                      wad of cash on a soft box. I like to bounce my key off the walls or
                      ceiling to fill the room with light and add some blue kicker for
                      interest.

                      Adam Mercado
                      Influxx Media Production

                    • DarylU
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
                        yes, I have used the umbrellas, and I have one of those diffusion sheets that you use to soften the lighting. I have used the 3/4 portrait lighting.

                        But what is blue Kicker lighting.

                        I guess you are saying for interviewing inside you should have additional lighting and not rely on camera.
                      • David Jones
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
                          On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM, DarylU <daryl@...> wrote:

                          > thanks again.
                          >
                          > I have had a problem before with sound so they external mic looks like a good solution.
                          >
                          > One thing I am not sure if we addressed was inside lighting. Will the camera take care of most of this? I don't want to get into an elaborate lighting set-up, but will I ever need any at anytime? I do have lighting stands and 2 lowel Tota-light 800W 6.3a 50/60hz but they seem to be more trouble than good bleaching out the video highlights.Have had beet luck with shop lights and 60 watt bulbs.

                          Any good camera will let you adjust the white balance and other stuff
                          like 50/60hz flicker, but if it doesn't get enough light in the first
                          place then results can be poor with the lower end (affordable)
                          cameras.

                          My lab where I film is only lit with two 30W tubular strip fluoro's
                          which is barely adequate.
                          I have defused studio lights, but they only come out for special
                          occasions, no room to leave them permanently set up.

                          Dave.