Re: [videoblogging] How do you vlog and why?

  • David Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
      On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:48 PM, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:

      > Happy New Year group!
      >
      > I've been off and on here for a few years. I started vlogging in 2006 and have done it primarily to share my media experiences, and video production knowledge.
      >
      > There are so many different ways to produce a video these days. Pocket cams, webcams, HD prosumer cams just to mention a few.
      >
      > I'm curious to know what equipment you use and what kind of challenges if any you have with your videos?

      I blog about electronics design and engineering, product reviews etc
      and have found a good niche in this field.
      www.eevblog.com
      It has also lead to a lot of fame (infamy) and influence in the
      industry, and with a bit more luck and continued work, more likely
      than not to a full time blogging job in the not too distant future.

      I also do off-topic and personal stuff occasionally, and live
      streaming video shows as well.
      It is a non-scripted off the cuff show.

      This has also lead to a spin-off co-hosted radio/podcast show:
      www.theamphour.com

      I use a Sanyo Xacti HD-1010 shooting in 1280x720, with a Rode VideoMic
      and Manfrotto Modo Maxi tripod. Corel Videostudio for editing, and
      Handbrake for MP4 conversion. I use Youtube for HD hosting and search
      visibility, and host my own RSS podcast version for iTunes etc.
      i also have a popular user forum:
      www.eevblog.com/forum

      Biggest challenges I have are:
      - Trying to find the time to do it regularly
      - Trying to satisfy and appeal to as broad an audience as possible.
      They all want something different in terms of content (e.g. product
      reviews, tutorials, rants, beginner to advanced topics etc)
      - Trying to keep my content as short and concise as possible.

      Although with video lengths and conciseness, I've probably found
      another niche here by breaking all the usual rules about video
      attention span and length etc with my conversational style. My
      audience seem to love the in-depth 30+ minute video reviews and
      tutorials, my 1hr+ product shootouts, and my nearly two hour live
      shows. It sets me apart from others who gloss over all the details
      with their ultra short videos.
      But I do realise I can't let it get completely out of hand, and more
      work here can always pay off.

      Production effort is always the minimal required to get the job done.

      Dave.
    • theurbanreporter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
        Great into. So the Sanyo Xacti has a mic input? I've been using a Kodak Zi8 since the Summer and love it. I've actually rigged it to work with a Sony lavaliere mic that was handed down to me when I worked in local news, but I also an Olympus ME-!5 lapel mic as well.

        Everything is getting so much smaller these days. I completely understand the time issue... Especially if you're doing any kind of serious editing.

        There really is branding/key influencer power that goes hand in hand with video blogging.

        Thanks for sharing. I'm going to check out your videos.

        ac

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:

        > On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:48 PM, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Happy New Year group!
        > >
        > > I've been off and on here for a few years. I started vlogging in 2006 and have done it primarily to share my media experiences, and video production knowledge.
        > >
        > > There are so many different ways to produce a video these days. Pocket cams, webcams, HD prosumer cams just to mention a few.
        > >
        > > I'm curious to know what equipment you use and what kind of challenges if any you have with your videos?
        >

        > I blog about electronics design and engineering, product reviews etc
        > and have found a good niche in this field.
        > www.eevblog.com
        > It has also lead to a lot of fame (infamy) and influence in the
        > industry, and with a bit more luck and continued work, more likely
        > than not to a full time blogging job in the not too distant future.
        >
        > I also do off-topic and personal stuff occasionally, and live
        > streaming video shows as well.
        > It is a non-scripted off the cuff show.
        >
        > This has also lead to a spin-off co-hosted radio/podcast show:
        > www.theamphour.com
        >
        > I use a Sanyo Xacti HD-1010 shooting in 1280x720, with a Rode VideoMic
        > and Manfrotto Modo Maxi tripod. Corel Videostudio for editing, and
        > Handbrake for MP4 conversion. I use Youtube for HD hosting and search
        > visibility, and host my own RSS podcast version for iTunes etc.
        > i also have a popular user forum:
        > www.eevblog.com/forum
        >
        > Biggest challenges I have are:
        > - Trying to find the time to do it regularly
        > - Trying to satisfy and appeal to as broad an audience as possible.
        > They all want something different in terms of content (e.g. product
        > reviews, tutorials, rants, beginner to advanced topics etc)
        > - Trying to keep my content as short and concise as possible.
        >
        > Although with video lengths and conciseness, I've probably found
        > another niche here by breaking all the usual rules about video
        > attention span and length etc with my conversational style. My
        > audience seem to love the in-depth 30+ minute video reviews and
        > tutorials, my 1hr+ product shootouts, and my nearly two hour live
        > shows. It sets me apart from others who gloss over all the details
        > with their ultra short videos.
        > But I do realise I can't let it get completely out of hand, and more
        > work here can always pay off.
        >
        > Production effort is always the minimal required to get the job done.
        >
        > Dave.

      • theurbanreporter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
          I've checked our your work Mike and enjoy watching your videos.

          It's amazing what kind of events and moments you can capture when you keep a camera handy.

          Thanks for sharing!

          ac

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "mikemoon_ca" <mgmoon@...> wrote:

          > I'm a personal video blogger. I blog aspects of my life for the enjoyment of myself, family and friends.
          > I capture moments of events, thoughts, ideas and shit that happens.
          > Why do I do it?
          > For the pure entertainment. I shoot videos now, so when I get old, I can look back and remember. Even going back a couple years is a real hoot.
          >
          > I have used countless different camcorders to make the videos. Currently, I'm using a Kodak Playsport (under water capability) $100ish and a new iPod Touch ($200). Both camcorders are small and fit easily in my pocket.
          >
          > Because of the nature of my vlogs, having a camcorder with me all the time is important. I love that I can edit and produce the videos I create, right on the iPod Touch with iMovie app.
          >
          > Anyhow, that's what I'm using.
          >
          > Mike
          > http://MikeMoon.ca
          >

          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Happy New Year group!
          > >
          > > I've been off and on here for a few years. I started vlogging in 2006 and have done it primarily to share my media experiences, and video production knowledge.
          > >
          > > There are so many different ways to produce a video these days. Pocket cams, webcams, HD prosumer cams just to mention a few.
          > >
          > > I'm curious to know what equipment you use and what kind of challenges if any you have with your videos?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Amani Channel
          > > http://www.myurbanreport.com
          > > @urbanreporter

        • David Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
            On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:

            > Great into. So the Sanyo Xacti has a mic input?

            Yes, and a cold shoe mount on top for mounting the mic. One of the
            main reasons for its popularity as a blogging camera.

            >I've been using a Kodak Zi8 since the Summer and love it. I've actually rigged it to work with a Sony lavaliere mic that was handed down to me when I worked in local news, but I also an Olympus ME-!5 lapel mic as well.

            I do too much moving and waving around in the lab to use a lapel mic.
            I've got a wireless mic system for field interview use as well.
            I also have a Zoom H1 mic for portable autonomous recording.

            > Everything is getting so much smaller these days. I completely understand the time issue... Especially if you're doing any kind of serious editing.
            >
            > There really is branding/key influencer power that goes hand in hand with video blogging.

            Indeed. I have been able to influence the direction of several major
            billion dollar corporations through the power of my blogs and
            audience.

            Dave.