Re: [videoblogging] Wireless Mic Hack for Camera with No Mic Jack?

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 17, 2010
      From: "Adam Warner"
      > That seems like a vaild way to go, but I fear that syncing the video and
      > audio
      > from two different sources would potentially present quality issues.
      > Maybe not,
      > but that's my fear.

      Using "dual system sound" (with decent equipment) will give you good sound.
      That's how they do it with major motion pictures.

      > Also of concern would be having to import data twice. We're
      > on a skeleton crew here and streamlining time is of the essence.

      There is no need to "import" the audio file from a digital recorder ...
      other than copying a file from the flash card to your hard drive. Unlike the
      video from a tape camcorder which "streams" in real-time.

      > ...and no, I don't have a lav mic setup yet...looking for that as
      > well...unless
      > recording from two sources is really the best way to go...

      Well a decent wireless lav may cost as much as your camcorder .. no .. it
      iwll cost much MORE than your camcorder. You can get a decent wired lav for
      about $25. You can run that into your camcorder .. if it had a jack .. or
      into a digital audio recorder .. such as the Zoom H-1 (which could be in the
      pocket of the speaker)

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org
    • David Barreda
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 17, 2010
        Also check out PluralEyes (a plug-in) to sync audio from video track and audio from external recorder. Huge time saver.

        David

        ---------------------------
        Sent from myPhone
        Please forgive typos
        @inkaman

        On Dec 17, 2010, at 12:25, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

      • Adam Warner
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 17, 2010
          @ Richard,

          Thanks for explaining, it all makes sense now and I see buying a digital
          recorder + wired lav and using our existing miniDV cam will be the least
          expensive and make the most sense for our needs. Thank you:)

          @ David,

          I checked on this and it seems it's a plugin for Final Cut, not for iMovie?

          Sincerely,

          Adam W. Warner

          http://adamwwarner.com
          http://wpmodder.com

          ________________________________

          ________________________________
          Also check out PluralEyes (a plug-in) to sync audio from video track and audio
          from external recorder. Huge time saver.

          David

          ---------------------------
          Sent from myPhone
          Please forgive typos
          @inkaman

        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 17, 2010
            A Zoom h1 put close to the speaker can work pretty well. $99

            As far as lavalier + cam combos - I've seen people do it with the Kodak Zi8
            - you could run that as wide angle cam and then do close ups with your canon

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 17, 2010
              Yes sorry, missed the iMovie part. In that case I think a clap or slamming a
              book works

              On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

              > A Zoom h1 put close to the speaker can work pretty well. $99
              >
              > As far as lavalier + cam combos - I've seen people do it with the Kodak Zi8
              > - you could run that as wide angle cam and then do close ups with your
              > canon

              > On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Adam Warner <awarner20@...<awarner20%40yahoo.com>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > @ Richard,
              > >
              > > Thanks for explaining, it all makes sense now and I see buying a digital
              > > recorder + wired lav and using our existing miniDV cam will be the least
              > > expensive and make the most sense for our needs. Thank you:)
              > >
              > > @ David,
              > >
              > > I checked on this and it seems it's a plugin for Final Cut, not for
              > iMovie?
              > >

              > > Sincerely,
              > >

              > > Adam W. Warner
              > >
              > > http://adamwwarner.com
              > > http://wpmodder.com
              > >
              > > ________________________________
              > >

              > > ________________________________
              > > From: David Barreda <barreda@... <barreda%40gmail.com>>
              > > To: "videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>" <
              > videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>>

            • David Jones
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 17, 2010
                On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Adam Warner <awarner20@...> wrote:

                > Hi Guys,
                >
                > That seems like a vaild way to go, but I fear that syncing the video and audio
                > from two different sources would potentially present quality issues. Maybe not,
                > but that's my fear. Also of concern would be having to import data twice. We're
                > on a skeleton crew here and streamlining time is of the essence.

                Then spend the small amount of money and do it properly.
                If you have to ask what sort of gear is needed to do such a hack then
                you likely don't have the skills to do the hack.
                Also, a wireless mic and speaker setup over the grill is just a silly
                idea, the quality won't be any good at all. Forget it.
                A decent camera like Sanyo HD1010 or HD2000 can be had for well under
                $400, maybe under $300

                > ...and no, I don't have a lav mic setup yet...looking for that as well...unless
                > recording from two sources is really the best way to go...

                The external Zoom H1 is great idea unless you have to do many clips
                and therefore have to audio sync each one of them which would be a
                real pain. But if it's just one big continuous shoot then you only
                need do it once per video.

                Dave.
              • Richard Amirault
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 17, 2010
                  From: "Adam Warner"

                  >@ Richard,
                  >
                  > Thanks for explaining, it all makes sense now and I see buying a digital
                  > recorder + wired lav and using our existing miniDV cam will be the least
                  > expensive and make the most sense for our needs. Thank you:)

                  Check out this wired lav: ($26.00 new)
                  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664437-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR3350_ATR3350_Omnidirectional_Condenser_Lavalier.html

                  Also .. Canon's low end miniDV camcorder DOES have a mic imput! ($250.00
                  new)
                  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/597358-REG/Canon_3543B001_ZR960_MiniDV_Camcorder.html
                  However it does not have a headphone output so you can't monitor while you
                  are shooting.

                  If the links are 'broken' and don't work .. search for Audio Technica
                  ATR3350 and Canon ZR960

                  Richard Amirault
                  Boston, MA, USA
                  http://n1jdu.org
                  http://bostonfandom.org
                • calebjc
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 19, 2010
                    Clapping your hands works great to synch audio in post. Try and stand in front of the camera about 10 feet, and place your clapping hands so you'll be able to see when they touch, just like the Hollywood slates.

                    I have found though that depending on the device, after a few minutes audio can unsync if you are not shooting at exactly the same speeds between the camera and audio recorder.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 19, 2010

                      > I have found though that depending on the device, after a few minutes audio
                      > can unsync if you are not shooting at exactly the same speeds between the
                      > camera and audio recorder.

                      Clapping both before and after, and then a little stretching will resolve
                      this.

                      If your video editing software doesn't do audio stretching the get Vegas :)
                      Just Ctl+drag

                      Personally I always say you can never get too much audio, I usually run one
                      more recorder than is absolutely necessary - just to be safe. On-camera mics
                      have a tendency to pick up camera noise, or if you are in a lavalier/board
                      mix situation it can give you a little atmosphere.

                      One very good free tool for post-processing spoken word is the levelator,
                      we've mentioned it before. If you run a separate audio recorder it can
                      really come in useful for picking up those questions from the back of the
                      room which can then be dropped in to the main audio stream.
                      http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator

                      <http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator>j

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 20, 2010
                        I dont recommend a two camera shoot if this is the first foray into product demo land. I'd plan on breaking the shoot into manageable chunks, to make it easy on everyone involved. Also, when you do your close ups you'll be able to light the scene specifically to make the CU look good, as opposed to trying to either light the scene for two camera angles or lighting for one angle and just getting what you get with the other.

                        this will require a bit more pre-production and planning but I find its better to do the leg work up front then the shoot go smoothly and you have a blueprint come edit time. I've done a lot of this and learned from experience.

                        Good luck
                        -adam