Re: eBook-esque with Video

  • tom_a_sparks
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 11, 2010
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

      > Hey all!
      > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
      >
      > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
      >
      > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
      >
      > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      >
      > Peace,
      > Ron Watson

      I would use MenuBox (http://www.menubox.com/), all you need is a HTML website, you can use flowplayer for the videos

      tom
    • Ron Watson
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 11, 2010
        Nice, Tom!
        Looks promising...
        Peace
        Ron Watson

        Pawsitive Vybe
        11659 Berrigan Ave
        Cedar Springs, MI 49319
        http://pawsitivevybe.com

        Personal Contact:
        616.443.3984
        k9disc@...

        On the Web:
        Pawsitive Vybe
        PVybe Blog
        Art of K9Disc
        K9Athlete.com
        Seminars

        On Dec 11, 2010, at 3:21 AM, tom_a_sparks wrote:

        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey all!
        > > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
        > >
        > > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
        > >
        > > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
        > >
        > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
        > >
        > > Peace,
        > > Ron Watson
        > >
        > I would use MenuBox (http://www.menubox.com/), all you need is a HTML website, you can use flowplayer for the videos
        >
        > tom

      • RatbagMedia
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 11, 2010
          Given that it is a learning exercise I reckon 'freeze frame' may be much more useful attribute than a lot of moving pictures. So I'd suggest powerpoint such as through sites like SLIDESHARE
          http://www.slideshare.net/

          I've used that a lot for sharing learning material as it also offers download as well as online viewing.And the notes are in sync with the images and are printable as an attachment.. You can also add voice over if you want as part of the package.

          And of course you can embed video inside the presentation so that it becomes part of a multi media show.

          For sequence learning maybe video isn't the best option. I always fid that with video you don't always have a 'save' option as a later reference to a particular point whereas with a presentation -- esp if it was in pdf format --you always have a print option.

          Another resource to consider is Scribd
          http://www.scribd.com/
          which is a much better as an pdf presentation package.You also have the option to charge for the download as part of the platform if that was an issue. (this si a new faeture on Scribd).

          Similarly it is also very easy to convert a presentation to video format -- but not so much feasible the other way around.

          I also like presentations because you have many more layout options in way of text and such. It si much easier to build up your delivery wheraes as video editing is much more restrictive as it relies so much on how good the original 'shoot' was.

          Just consider the media mix in Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth

          dave riley
        • Ron Watson
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 12, 2010
            Thanks Dave,
            Static images are not an option for this project. I have thought of a powerpoint presentation, but it's not a good fit for large amounts of text and video...

            I'm kind of leaning towards an Adobe Flex/Air application after some research last night. Not sure if it's a good idea or not...

            I appreciate the help, guys. Any more suggestions or information would be appreciated.

            Peace,
            Ron Watson

            On the Web:
            Pawsitive Vybe
            PVybe Blog
            Art of K9Disc
            K9Athlete.com
            Seminars

          • adammercado@att.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 20, 2010
              I guess it depends on your definition of offline? You can distribute online for offline consumption of course. By that I mean you can deliver a PDF or some interactive format over the web for download that obfuscates the need for disc based media.

              PDF would actually make a good choice as video files can be embedded into the document and can be fully interactive. PowerPoint or better yet, Keynote, would be an alternate choice. Director and Flash come to mind too, but I think personally I'd steer away from DVD unless there were a good reason for disc media or the content was purely full frame video.

              Good luck
              -adam

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

              > Hey all!
              > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
              >
              > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
              >
              > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
              >
              > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
              >
              > Peace,
              > Ron Watson

            • Michael Rosenblum
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 20, 2010
                Ron
                Take a look at how I deliver several hundred instructional videos on www.nyvs.com
                This is relatively simple to do
                But the secret is to break it up into discrete 2 minute packages.

                On Dec 20, 2010, at 3:19 AM, adammercado@... wrote:

                > I guess it depends on your definition of offline? You can distribute
                > online for offline consumption of course. By that I mean you can
                > deliver a PDF or some interactive format over the web for download
                > that obfuscates the need for disc based media.
                >
                > PDF would actually make a good choice as video files can be embedded
                > into the document and can be fully interactive. PowerPoint or better
                > yet, Keynote, would be an alternate choice. Director and Flash come
                > to mind too, but I think personally I'd steer away from DVD unless
                > there were a good reason for disc media or the content was purely
                > full frame video.
                >
                > Good luck
                > -adam
                >
                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey all!
                > > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for
                > delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each)
                > instructional project.
                > >
                > > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite
                > well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for
                > offline viewing.
                > >
                > > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six
                > different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and
                > the videos supplement the text.
                > >
                > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                > >
                > > Peace,
                > > Ron Watson