Re: [videoblogging] eBook-esque with Video

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 10 6:58 PM
      > Hey all!
      > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
      > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
      > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.

      If its offline, then seems like DVD would be the only option unless Im
      missing the question.

      Jay
    • compumavengal
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 10 7:01 PM
        There is a whole world of instructional design, presentation and non-academic e-learning resources. Some focus on how to structure info and others on making sure the message is received.

        I constantly check out the Articulate Rapid E-Learning Blog
        http://www.articulate.com/rapid-elearning/ there is a free pdf book about the basics of setting up a learning situation.

        I'd also check out Nancy Duate blog http://blog.duarte.com for effective presentations and Garr Reynolds at Presentation Zen
        http://www.presentationzen.com/

        Gena
        http://createvidonotebook.blogspot.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

        > Hey all!
        > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
        >
        > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
        >
        > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
        >
        > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
        >
        > Peace,
        > Ron Watson

      • compumavengal
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10 7:02 PM
          Umm, I might have misunderstood the question. Sorry about that.

          Gena
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

          > Hey all!
          > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
          >
          > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
          >
          > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
          >
          > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
          >
          > Peace,
          > Ron Watson

        • Ron Watson
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10 8:41 PM
            Well, I figured that DVD would be necessary for the project, but should I go PDF? ePub? How to hook the video with the text? Zip file with file structure and relative links from ePub or pdf?

            What about a distributed wiki on DVD? I'm also considering straight html.

            I just have lots of ideas with not much attachment to any of them and thought you guys might offer some suggestions.

            I'm also thinking Lulu for a hardcopy book with DVD for video and perhaps digital copy of the text

            Just not sure.

            It really is quite a nice product, huge undertaking, like nothing else out there in our niche.

            I appreciate your response, Jay.

            Peace,
            Ron Watson

            On Dec 10, 2010, at 9:58 PM, Jay dedman wrote:

            > > Hey all!
            > > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
            > > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
            > > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
            >
            > If its offline, then seems like DVD would be the only option unless Im
            > missing the question.

          • Markus Sandy
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 10 8:47 PM
              hi ron,

              this open source ebook framework might be useful

              http://bakerframework.com

              markus

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10 9:22 PM
                Yea, a bit Gena...
                I just need to deliver this instruction.
                Thanks though, interesting sites...
                Peace
                Ron Watson

                Pawsitive Vybe

                On the Web:
                Pawsitive Vybe
                PVybe Blog
                Art of K9Disc
                K9Athlete.com
                Seminars

                On Dec 10, 2010, at 10:02 PM, compumavengal wrote:

                > Umm, I might have misunderstood the question. Sorry about that.
                >
                > Gena
                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey all!
                > > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
                > >
                > > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
                > >
                > > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
                > >
                > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                > >
                > > Peace,
                > > Ron Watson

              • tom_a_sparks
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 11 12:21 AM
                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

                  > Hey all!
                  > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
                  >
                  > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
                  >
                  > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
                  >
                  > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Peace,
                  > Ron Watson

                  I would use MenuBox (http://www.menubox.com/), all you need is a HTML website, you can use flowplayer for the videos

                  tom
                • Ron Watson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 11 1:41 AM
                    Nice, Tom!
                    Looks promising...
                    Peace
                    Ron Watson

                    Pawsitive Vybe
                    11659 Berrigan Ave
                    Cedar Springs, MI 49319
                    http://pawsitivevybe.com

                    Personal Contact:
                    616.443.3984
                    k9disc@...

                    On the Web:
                    Pawsitive Vybe
                    PVybe Blog
                    Art of K9Disc
                    K9Athlete.com
                    Seminars

                    On Dec 11, 2010, at 3:21 AM, tom_a_sparks wrote:

                    > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hey all!
                    > > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
                    > >
                    > > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
                    > >
                    > > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
                    > >
                    > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                    > >
                    > > Peace,
                    > > Ron Watson
                    > >
                    > I would use MenuBox (http://www.menubox.com/), all you need is a HTML website, you can use flowplayer for the videos
                    >
                    > tom

                  • RatbagMedia
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 11 4:46 PM
                      Given that it is a learning exercise I reckon 'freeze frame' may be much more useful attribute than a lot of moving pictures. So I'd suggest powerpoint such as through sites like SLIDESHARE
                      http://www.slideshare.net/

                      I've used that a lot for sharing learning material as it also offers download as well as online viewing.And the notes are in sync with the images and are printable as an attachment.. You can also add voice over if you want as part of the package.

                      And of course you can embed video inside the presentation so that it becomes part of a multi media show.

                      For sequence learning maybe video isn't the best option. I always fid that with video you don't always have a 'save' option as a later reference to a particular point whereas with a presentation -- esp if it was in pdf format --you always have a print option.

                      Another resource to consider is Scribd
                      http://www.scribd.com/
                      which is a much better as an pdf presentation package.You also have the option to charge for the download as part of the platform if that was an issue. (this si a new faeture on Scribd).

                      Similarly it is also very easy to convert a presentation to video format -- but not so much feasible the other way around.

                      I also like presentations because you have many more layout options in way of text and such. It si much easier to build up your delivery wheraes as video editing is much more restrictive as it relies so much on how good the original 'shoot' was.

                      Just consider the media mix in Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth

                      dave riley
                    • Ron Watson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 12 2:56 AM
                        Thanks Dave,
                        Static images are not an option for this project. I have thought of a powerpoint presentation, but it's not a good fit for large amounts of text and video...

                        I'm kind of leaning towards an Adobe Flex/Air application after some research last night. Not sure if it's a good idea or not...

                        I appreciate the help, guys. Any more suggestions or information would be appreciated.

                        Peace,
                        Ron Watson

                        On the Web:
                        Pawsitive Vybe
                        PVybe Blog
                        Art of K9Disc
                        K9Athlete.com
                        Seminars

                      • adammercado@att.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 20 12:19 AM
                          I guess it depends on your definition of offline? You can distribute online for offline consumption of course. By that I mean you can deliver a PDF or some interactive format over the web for download that obfuscates the need for disc based media.

                          PDF would actually make a good choice as video files can be embedded into the document and can be fully interactive. PowerPoint or better yet, Keynote, would be an alternate choice. Director and Flash come to mind too, but I think personally I'd steer away from DVD unless there were a good reason for disc media or the content was purely full frame video.

                          Good luck
                          -adam

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

                          > Hey all!
                          > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each) instructional project.
                          >
                          > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for offline viewing.
                          >
                          > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and the videos supplement the text.
                          >
                          > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                          >
                          > Peace,
                          > Ron Watson

                        • Michael Rosenblum
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 20 12:37 AM
                            Ron
                            Take a look at how I deliver several hundred instructional videos on www.nyvs.com
                            This is relatively simple to do
                            But the secret is to break it up into discrete 2 minute packages.

                            On Dec 20, 2010, at 3:19 AM, adammercado@... wrote:

                            > I guess it depends on your definition of offline? You can distribute
                            > online for offline consumption of course. By that I mean you can
                            > deliver a PDF or some interactive format over the web for download
                            > that obfuscates the need for disc based media.
                            >
                            > PDF would actually make a good choice as video files can be embedded
                            > into the document and can be fully interactive. PowerPoint or better
                            > yet, Keynote, would be an alternate choice. Director and Flash come
                            > to mind too, but I think personally I'd steer away from DVD unless
                            > there were a good reason for disc media or the content was purely
                            > full frame video.
                            >
                            > Good luck
                            > -adam
                            >
                            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hey all!
                            > > Just wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for
                            > delivering a 25,000 word 35-40 video (3-10 minutes each)
                            > instructional project.
                            > >
                            > > Our Disc Dog Foundation Distance Learning Class is doing quite
                            > well and I'd like to offer the content as a training package for
                            > offline viewing.
                            > >
                            > > The video and text work in concert to deliver lessons in six
                            > different categories. The text supplements the video instruction and
                            > the videos supplement the text.
                            > >
                            > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                            > >
                            > > Peace,
                            > > Ron Watson