Do videobloggers love the camera?

  • krystianmorgan
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
      Hi all,

      Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences on the thought.

      The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?

      This is something that's been plaguing me for a little while. The people that know me here, know that I love video, watching and making and if you've ever been to one of my site's you've probably noticed that you've never actually seen me and I'm always behind the camera (or computer).

      I ask because it's something I'd like to get comfortable with. I'd like to have the ability to create a 'talking head' video series for my new site. A few of my reservations are: I have a slight accent (Welsh) which I myself often have trouble listening to others on the news ;) and just generally not coming across like I am uncomfortable doing it.

      Has anyone gone through this? Did you start out like this and got better? Do you have any advice?

      Thanks,
      Krystian

      PorbeagleHut.com (New film site for the 'talking head' videos)
      Qemic.com (My motion graphics and short films blog)
      @kmog
      @porbeaglefilm
      krys[at]kmogvideo.net
    • Heath
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
        Why do I talk to the camera....I have issues....that's the simplest answer.

        Part of it is that I am outgoing by nature, mostly...I really sucked at it at first...some may say I still do, but I would have the tendancy to ramble on and on....and on....that and I had to find "myself" what I mean by that is be comfortable with who you are in vlogging. don't try to be like anyone else, you have to be you. It took me a while to really learn that, be you, keep it simple and fun and try to stay on point....

        That and ask for feedback, ask people what they liked and didn't like about your "talking" head video. But just be youself, I can't stress that enough...make what you want to make and what makes you happy...life is to short to be bothered by all the other crap...

        Heath

        http://heathparks.com/blog

      • ktcopsey@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
          That is an interesting question, Krystian as I did a rare me-on-camera for
          vlomo today (uploading as I speak). I have not problem talking from behind
          the camera and do a radio show which is not a problem, and I have always
          enjoyed giving talks and presentations, but it does take a while to get
          comfortable with the on camera bit.
          So maybe part is personality, but the other part is doing it enough to get
          comfortable.
          Kate

          Kate Copsey
          Freelance Garden Writer;
          www.katecopsey.com
          Host: America's Home Grown Veggies Show on
          _www.americaswebradio.com

          In a message dated 11/8/2010 1:03:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          krys@... writes:

          The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature
          themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their day, about
          their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality trait, in
          the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the camera,
          that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?

          _ (http://www.americaswebradio.com/)

        • Rupert Howe
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
            My Day 8 video is a reply to you, via time travel...

            http://twittervlog.tv/2010/11/july-4-2005-the-pressure-of-a-vlog-vlomo10-day-8/

            Rupert
            http://twittervlog.tv

            On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM, krystianmorgan <krys@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you wouldn't
            > mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
            >
            > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature
            > themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their
            > day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality
            > trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the
            > camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?
            >
            > This is something that's been plaguing me for a little while. The people
            > that know me here, know that I love video, watching and making and if you've
            > ever been to one of my site's you've probably noticed that you've never
            > actually seen me and I'm always behind the camera (or computer).
            >
            > I ask because it's something I'd like to get comfortable with. I'd like to
            > have the ability to create a 'talking head' video series for my new site. A
            > few of my reservations are: I have a slight accent (Welsh) which I myself
            > often have trouble listening to others on the news ;) and just generally not
            > coming across like I am uncomfortable doing it.
            >
            > Has anyone gone through this? Did you start out like this and got better?
            > Do you have any advice?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Krystian

            > PorbeagleHut.com (New film site for the 'talking head' videos)
            > Qemic.com (My motion graphics and short films blog)
            > @kmog
            > @porbeaglefilm
            > krys[at]kmogvideo.net
          • Frank Carver
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
              On 8 November 2010 17:55, krystianmorgan <krys@...> wrote:

              > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature
              > themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their
              > day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality
              > trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the
              > camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?

              Vlomo is a good time to talk about this, because in many ways it (and
              challenges like it) are part of the answer.

              I have been part of this videoblogging community since early 2005 and have
              not yet encountered anyone who found talking to their own camera easy or
              natural to begin with. As you have rightly observed, though, there are a lot
              of vloggers who delight in talking to the camera, and do it often. The
              "trick" is simple: doing it. The more you do it, the less scary
              and embarrassing it becomes.

              Vlomo is good for this because the pressure of posting every day pretty much
              forces you to stop worrying and record something even if you are not happy
              with it. The surprising thing is that very often, people who watch your
              video will not see it as stumbling and self-conscious but for what it is - a
              bold attempt to share a bit of your life as it is.

              Frank.

            • Michael Verdi
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                I would guess that some part of it is personality but like most things
                it's part of a continuum (from easy to hard for people) and something
                that can be overcome. The first time I performed something live on stage
                I was so nervous that I came really close to throwing up. Even today, 20
                years later, I'm still nervous every single time. Just the other day I
                was recording a screencast with my wife in the room and she finally,
                thankfully, went in another room so I could get it done.

                For me there are two things that make doing anything like this possible:
                1. The idea that doing it is worthwhile.
                2. Being ok with people seeing you how you are.

                At some point in my life I just got that I really am the guy who looks
                and talks and moves like what I see on screen and there is nothing I can
                do about that. That's me. I generally try not to make an ass of myself
                but I haven't avoided that completely. Oh well.

                - Verdi

                krystianmorgan wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you
                > wouldn't mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
                >
                > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature
                > themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about
                > their day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a
                > personality trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to
                > be in front of the camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had
                > issues with it?
                >
                > This is something that's been plaguing me for a little while. The
                > people that know me here, know that I love video, watching and making
                > and if you've ever been to one of my site's you've probably noticed
                > that you've never actually seen me and I'm always behind the camera
                > (or computer).
                >
                > I ask because it's something I'd like to get comfortable with. I'd
                > like to have the ability to create a 'talking head' video series for
                > my new site. A few of my reservations are: I have a slight accent
                > (Welsh) which I myself often have trouble listening to others on the
                > news ;) and just generally not coming across like I am uncomfortable
                > doing it.
                >
                > Has anyone gone through this? Did you start out like this and got
                > better? Do you have any advice?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Krystian

                > PorbeagleHut.com (New film site for the 'talking head' videos)
                > Qemic.com (My motion graphics and short films blog)
                > @kmog
                > @porbeaglefilm
                > krys[at]kmogvideo.net

                http://michaelverdi.com
                http://talkbot.tv

              • krystianmorgan
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                  Thanks to everyone for your replies, the videoblogging community is always awesome and helpful. I'm glad that the general consensus is that you CAN get better at it and most of you started off uneasy too.

                  I posted a little video to say, 'Hello'. Even this I found really hard, I froze on the first take and I'm the only one around here at the moment. Doesn't make any sense to me. I feel if I left it until tomorrow I wouldn't do it, and as i'm writing this I feel like I should be embarrassed and hope to never see it again.

                  http://blip.tv/file/4355814

                  Baby steps.... I really hope I haven't peaked with this :)

                  Thanks all,
                  Krys

                  p.s. taking Heath's advice, can you understand me ok? (accent-wise)

                  ---------------------------
                  http://porbeaglehut.com
                  http://qemic.com
                  http://twitter.com/kmog
                  ---------------------------

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                    That's actually why I sometimes video
                    myself - to get better at being in front
                    of the camera!

                    David

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                      On 8 November 2010 21:38, krystianmorgan <krys@...> wrote:

                      > p.s. taking Heath's advice, can you understand me ok? (accent-wise)

                      No problem. A pleasant and understandable accent.

                      Frank.

                    • ktcopsey@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                        Kris
                        You did fine.
                        My only problem was that on Blip it played the Glee ad for way longer than
                        your video and even when I reloaded it played it again! So perhaps put them
                        onto youtube which is more viewer friendly.

                        Kate Copsey
                        Freelance Garden Writer;
                        www.katecopsey.com
                        Host: America's Home Grown Veggies Show on
                        _www.americaswebradio.com

                        _ (http://www.americaswebradio.com/) _http://blip.tv/file/4355814_

                        _ (http://www.americaswebradio.com/) _http://porbeaglehut.com_
                        (http://porbeaglehut.com/)
                        (http://www.americaswebradio.com/) _http://qemic.com_ (http://qemic.com/)
                        (http://www.americaswebradio.com/) _http://twitter.com/kmog_
                        (http://twitter.com/kmog) _
                        ---------------------------

                        --- In _ (http://www.americaswebradio.com/)
                        _videoblogging@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:videoblogging@yahoogroups.com) , "krystianmorgan" <krys@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you
                        wouldn't mind sharing your experiences on the thought.

                        > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature
                        themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their day,
                        about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality trait, in
                        the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the camera,
                        that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?

                        > This is something that's been plaguing me for a little while. The people
                        that know me here, know that I love video, watching and making and if
                        you've ever been to one of my site's you've probably noticed that you've never
                        actually seen me and I'm always behind the camera (or computer).

                        > I ask because it's something I'd like to get comfortable with. I'd like
                        to have the ability to create a 'talking head' video series for my new
                        site. A few of my reservations are: _I have a slight accent (Welsh) which I
                        myself often have trouble listening to others on the news ;) and just
                        generally not coming across like I am uncomfortable doing it.

                        > Has anyone gone through this? Did you start out like this and got
                        better? Do you have any advice?

                        > Thanks,
                        > Krystian

                        > PorbeagleHut.com (New film site for the 'talking head' videos)
                        > Qemic.com (My motion graphics and short films blog)
                        > @kmog
                        > @porbeaglefilm
                        > krys[at]kmogvideo.net
                      • krystianmorgan
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                          Hi Kate,

                          Yeah, sorry about that, I just noticed it myself, i didn't realise ads were turned on so i've disabled them now.

                          -Krys

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, ktcopsey@... wrote:

> [...]
                          > that know me here, know that I love video, watching and making and if
                          > you've ever been to one of my site's you've probably noticed that you've never
                          > actually seen me and I'm always behind the camera (or computer).
                          > >
                          > > I ask because it's something I'd like to get comfortable with. I'd like
                          > to have the ability to create a 'talking head' video series for my new
                          > site. A few of my reservations are: _I have a slight accent (Welsh) which I
                          > myself often have trouble listening to others on the news ;) and just
                          > generally not coming across like I am uncomfortable doing it.
                          > >
                          > > Has anyone gone through this? Did you start out like this and got
                          > better? Do you have any advice?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > > Krystian

                          > > PorbeagleHut.com (New film site for the 'talking head' videos)
                          > > Qemic.com (My motion graphics and short films blog)

                        • Adrian Miles
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                            observation that I've made in conference presentations in the past. It is,
                            in my experience, a peculiarly North American (even possibly US) practice.
                            Yes, it happens elsewhere, but not nearly to the same extent, and once you
                            take the video diary (aka youtube confessionals) and look more specifically
                            at videoblogging as this list probably understands it, the cultural
                            specificity becomes even more pronounced.

                            Most other cultures are not taught/encouraged/celebrate the individual in
                            the same manner as the US (this is a big complex conversation which is being
                            reduced to nought here) and virtually all other cultures have some variation
                            of what in Australia is known as the 'tall poppy syndrome'. Basically, if
                            you talk about yourself you can be expected to be cut down to size (we'd
                            even say, deservedly cut down to size). On the positive it means there is a
                            sense of the individual as being a participant with obligations to a social
                            collective (we should pay taxes, government can make decisions about
                            'private' matters, and it is governments job to provide all sorts of key
                            services), on the downside no other nation has the entrepreneurial chutzpah
                            of the US. Making it happen yourself is a moral good in the united states,
                            everywhere else we just call it capitalism and participation is sort of
                            optional.

                            an appropriate closing
                            Adrian Miles
                            School of Media and Communication
                            Program Director B.Comm Honours
                            vogmae.net.au

                            On 9 November 2010 04:55, krystianmorgan <krys@...> wrote:

                            > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you wouldn't
                            > mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
                            >
                            > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature
                            > themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their
                            > day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality
                            > trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the
                            > camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?

                          • mikemoon_ca
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                              I've watched a lot of videos from vloggers you never see. To each their own.

                              When I started this vlogging thing, I thought of it as a video blog. A way for me to share my thoughts and ideas with my friends, family and to be honest with you, the future - older version of myself. It takes me forever to get my thoughts exactly the way I want through type, but I can talk to the camera and be done in 3 minutes or less.

                              I can gab it up and I'm comfortable talking to people in general, so Vlogging is good communication method for me.

                              Am I one of the beautiful people? NO. Does that stop me? NO. Do I have a gazillion followers? NO. Does it stop me? NO. I'm comfortable with who I am.

                              Advice? Ease into it, or jump right in. But there is a connection your followers will make once they know what you look like and can see your expressions and your passion.

                              Do it! Just Do it! :)

                              Mike
                              htt://MikeMoon.ca

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "krystianmorgan" <krys@...> wrote:

                              > Hi all,
                              >
                              > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
                              >
                              > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?
                              >
                              > This is something that's been plaguing me for a little while. The people that know me here, know that I love video, watching and making and if you've ever been to one of my site's you've probably noticed that you've never actually seen me and I'm always behind the camera (or computer).
                              >
                              > I ask because it's something I'd like to get comfortable with. I'd like to have the ability to create a 'talking head' video series for my new site. A few of my reservations are: I have a slight accent (Welsh) which I myself often have trouble listening to others on the news ;) and just generally not coming across like I am uncomfortable doing it.
                              >
                              > Has anyone gone through this? Did you start out like this and got better? Do you have any advice?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Krystian

                              > PorbeagleHut.com (New film site for the 'talking head' videos)
                              > Qemic.com (My motion graphics and short films blog)
                              > @kmog
                              > @porbeaglefilm
                              > krys[at]kmogvideo.net

                            • Kath O'Donnell
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                                I think it's just personal choice & style. I don't tend to film myself,
                                occasionally I'll do a voiceover. I'm not comfortable in front of the camera
                                - or talking to large groups or even being in photos, so I guess it's
                                related to that. sometimes I have straight cut/paste clips & other times I
                                practice my isadora fx and use that. the videos are mostly memory triggers
                                for me, and I use the text descriptions/blog posts to note my thoughts if
                                there's something I want to recall later.

                                I think just do whatever you feel comfortable with. or maybe you want to
                                practice being more comfortable talking in front of camera/people. this
                                could be a way to do that too.

                                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                                  I partially agree with what you're saying here, and have experienced unrelated examples in the past. I do feel it's quite an old idea though, one that's readily dying out with the internet and YouTube.

                                  Myself, this was never a factor, neither is confidence. I really think it's kind of the simple task of talking to an inanimate object is just difficult for me, just feels really odd for me at the moment, out of my comfort-zone like I'm talking to a HAL, who doesn't respond.

                                  Krys

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                                    I like the sound of that, thanks Mike.

                                    It was a really great experience throwing this question out there and then trying my hand at it finally. It's definitely starting to feel like a fun new endeavour and not a worry.

                                    I'm definitely going to keep it up, keep trying. hopefully one day I can look back and laugh that this was ever an issue.

                                    -Krys

                                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "mikemoon_ca" <mgmoon@...> wrote:

                                    > I've watched a lot of videos from vloggers you never see. To each their own.
                                    >
                                    > When I started this vlogging thing, I thought of it as a video blog. A way for me to share my thoughts and ideas with my friends, family and to be honest with you, the future - older version of myself. It takes me forever to get my thoughts exactly the way I want through type, but I can talk to the camera and be done in 3 minutes or less.
                                    >
                                    > I can gab it up and I'm comfortable talking to people in general, so Vlogging is good communication method for me.
                                    >
                                    > Am I one of the beautiful people? NO. Does that stop me? NO. Do I have a gazillion followers? NO. Does it stop me? NO. I'm comfortable with who I am.
                                    >
                                    > Advice? Ease into it, or jump right in. But there is a connection your followers will make once they know what you look like and can see your expressions and your passion.
                                    >
                                    > Do it! Just Do it! :)
                                    >
                                    > Mike
                                    > htt://MikeMoon.ca
                                    >
                                    > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "krystianmorgan" <krys@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi all,
                                    > >
                                    > > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
                                    > >
                                    > > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?
                                    > >
                                    > > This is something that's been plaguing me for a little while. The people that know me here, know that I love video, watching and making and if you've ever been to one of my site's you've probably noticed that you've never actually seen me and I'm always behind the camera (or computer).
                                    > >
                                    > > I ask because it's something I'd like to get comfortable with. I'd like to have the ability to create a 'talking head' video series for my new site. A few of my reservations are: I have a slight accent (Welsh) which I myself often have trouble listening to others on the news ;) and just generally not coming across like I am uncomfortable doing it.
                                    > >
                                    > > Has anyone gone through this? Did you start out like this and got better? Do you have any advice?
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > > Krystian

                                    > > PorbeagleHut.com (New film site for the 'talking head' videos)
                                    > > Qemic.com (My motion graphics and short films blog)
                                    > > @kmog
                                    > > @porbeaglefilm
                                    > > krys[at]kmogvideo.net

                                  • Rupert Howe
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                                      This will probably sound pretentious or something, and I should never post
                                      to the group after midnight, but I think I always approach it like I'm
                                      talking to someone, sort of like telling a story, stopping them from
                                      clicking away like I would if I had to sit and listen to myself wittering
                                      on.

                                      There are a million discarded takes of most videos I do where I go off on
                                      too much of a tangent, or get bored listening to myself. I think being
                                      self-conscious is probably as important to making interesting videos as fear
                                      is to mountaineers. It lets you know when to stop.

                                      There's usually a perfect balance of situation, improvisation and time
                                      pressure that makes for an energised beginning, something new in the middle
                                      and then a sudden end. Endings are hard - and I like it when I can have an
                                      end that comes from something external - you have to go off and do
                                      something, or the kettle boils, or your wife tells you to shut up and come
                                      to bed.

                                      Even when I used to make 12seconds videos, I always used to think of
                                      beginning, middle and end. eg start with shot of One thing; moving to
                                      something else; reaction. That sounds formulaic, but I think it's just
                                      trying to tell a story about why you find a particular thing interesting
                                      enough to share it with everybody else (and your future self!).

                                      You see - I told you I shouldn't post after midnight. My wife is telling me
                                      to shut up and come to bed.

                                      Rupert
                                      http://twittervlog.tv

                                      On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:50 AM, krystianmorgan <krys@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      > > optional.
                                      > >
                                      > > an appropriate closing
                                      > > Adrian Miles
                                      > > School of Media and Communication
                                      > > Program Director B.Comm Honours
                                      > > vogmae.net.au
                                      > >

                                      > > On 9 November 2010 04:55, krystianmorgan <krys@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you
                                      > wouldn't
                                      > > > mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature
                                      > > > themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about
                                      > their
                                      > > > day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a
                                      > personality
                                      > > > trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front
                                      > of the
                                      > > > camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?

                                    • David Jones
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                                        On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:55 AM, krystianmorgan <krys@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi all,
                                        >
                                        > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
                                        >
                                        > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?

                                        I've never really been in front of a camera before I started my blog a
                                        year and half ago. Except if you count a couple of holiday videos.

                                        I've very enthusiastic when expressing myself so for me that seems to
                                        be the key to my blogging success, as my enthusiasm comes across on
                                        camera.
                                        I certainly wouldn't say I was born comfortable in front of a camera,
                                        far from it.

                                        > This is something that's been plaguing me for a little while. The people that know me here, know that I love video, watching and making and if you've ever been to one of my site's you've probably noticed that you've never actually seen me and I'm always behind the camera (or computer).
                                        >
                                        > I ask because it's something I'd like to get comfortable with. I'd like to have the ability to create a 'talking head' video series for my new site. A few of my reservations are: I have a slight accent (Welsh) which I myself often have trouble listening to others on the news ;) and just generally not coming across like I am uncomfortable doing it.

                                        If you want an annoying voice, you have to try mine!
                                        www.eevblog.com
                                        Very whiny Australian accent with a High Rising Terminal and a fast pace.
                                        I get complaints about my voice and vocal delivery on the blog almost
                                        daily, it's just simply impossible to please everyone, so don't worry
                                        about it, just do it. Content is king.

                                        > Has anyone gone through this? Did you start out like this and got better? Do you have any advice?

                                        I've gotten a lot better I think.
                                        Less umm's and less repetition (I've very prone to saying everything
                                        twice), and my breathing and pace has improved with experience.

                                        I took a professional TV presentation course to try and learn some
                                        things to help on the blog, and they were horrified at the way I
                                        talked, acted and expressed myself on camera. Apparently I'm doing
                                        EVERYTHING wrong! Well, apparently it doesn't matter because I've
                                        built a large audience around my "unique" style.
                                        My audience pleaded with me to not change my style or to try and make
                                        my delivery more professional.

                                        It's always a continuous learning experience. So don't waste time on
                                        here asking, go give it a try and be yourself!

                                        Dave.
                                      • mikemoon_ca
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                                          Hey Krys,

                                          When I'm doing my gabby-head vlogs, I'm sharing a story, sharing an experience or providing moments that I personally might enjoy in the future. And as I look deep in the center of the lens, I'm not looking at a gadget, I'm looking into the eyes of my kids, my wife, family, friends or any one of the 50 regular viewers that drop by.
                                          I've always been one to look people in the eyes when speaking with them, and the lens is just a portal to their eyes.

                                          Mike
                                          http://MikeMoon.ca

                                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "krystianmorgan" <krys@...> wrote:
                                          > Myself, this was never a factor, neither is confidence. I really think it's kind of the simple task of talking to an inanimate object is just difficult for me, just feels really odd for me at the moment, out of my comfort-zone like I'm talking to a HAL, who doesn't respond.
                                          >
                                          > Krys
                                          >

                                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > observation that I've made in conference presentations in the past. It is,
                                          > > in my experience, a peculiarly North American (even possibly US) practice.
                                          > > Yes, it happens elsewhere, but not nearly to the same extent, and once you
                                          > > take the video diary (aka youtube confessionals) and look more specifically
                                          > > at videoblogging as this list probably understands it, the cultural
                                          > > specificity becomes even more pronounced.
                                          > >
                                          > > Most other cultures are not taught/encouraged/celebrate the individual in
                                          > > the same manner as the US (this is a big complex conversation which is being
                                          > > reduced to nought here) and virtually all other cultures have some variation
                                          > > of what in Australia is known as the 'tall poppy syndrome'. Basically, if
                                          > > you talk about yourself you can be expected to be cut down to size (we'd
                                          > > even say, deservedly cut down to size). On the positive it means there is a
                                          > > sense of the individual as being a participant with obligations to a social
                                          > > collective (we should pay taxes, government can make decisions about
                                          > > 'private' matters, and it is governments job to provide all sorts of key
                                          > > services), on the downside no other nation has the entrepreneurial chutzpah
                                          > > of the US. Making it happen yourself is a moral good in the united states,
                                          > > everywhere else we just call it capitalism and participation is sort of
                                          > > optional.
                                          > >
                                          > > an appropriate closing
                                          > > Adrian Miles
                                          > > School of Media and Communication
                                          > > Program Director B.Comm Honours
                                          > > vogmae.net.au
                                          > >

                                          > > On 9 November 2010 04:55, krystianmorgan <krys@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you wouldn't
                                          > > > mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature
                                          > > > themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their
                                          > > > day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality
                                          > > > trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the
                                          > > > camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?

                                        • Marguerita
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                                            I like this question because I noticed this too while watching the first 7 days of vlomo2010. Some video bloggers were "face in the camera" all the time, and I feel like I am really getting to know them. It never felt like "too much facetime".

                                            Some never show their faces, and I am still getting to know them. It never feels like they are hiding or anything, just that they want you to see things that they are looking at too.

                                            I have also learned that, although I was sooo uncomfortable going face to face with the camera 2 years ago, today I look forward to it. I believe I might be becoming a little TOO comfortable with it. I really am pondering this a lot and I'm so glad that Krys asked and really, really glad for all the answers.

                                            Lately I've started making video responses either to other videos or to emails, and most of the time they are to people that I feel like I know a little bit, so I am very comfortable turning the camera on myself and saying "this is for Martha, who asked me to show...." but I find that I need to force myself to shut up and focus on the fabric, quilt, sewing machine, or whatever the focus of the video is.

                                            I tried to make a video response last week and by the time I was done it was 19 minutes of me blabbing on and on! I shocked even myself with that ramble, and I am well aware that I like to be on camera. For now I'll blame it on being isolated in Alaska ;)

                                            I love the observation about the US versus other societies!

                                            Great conversations and great videos everyone - I am just loving them!

                                            Marguerita

                                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "krystianmorgan" <krys@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi all,
                                            >
                                            > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
                                            >
                                            > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature themselves in their videos, ...........
                                          • Sheldon Pineo
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 8, 2010
                                              Here's my response to the question. Today's Vlomo10 posting.
                                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dLnpaQU020
                                              Enjoy!
                                              Shel.
                                              --
                                              www.icenrye.com - Home Page and Blog
                                              www.trackfiles.tv - My Geocaching Video Podcast
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 9, 2010
                                                You did great!!

                                                Heath
                                                http://heathparks.com/blog

                                                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "krystianmorgan" <krys@...> wrote:

                                                > Thanks to everyone for your replies, the videoblogging community is always awesome and helpful. I'm glad that the general consensus is that you CAN get better at it and most of you started off uneasy too.
                                                >
                                                > I posted a little video to say, 'Hello'. Even this I found really hard, I froze on the first take and I'm the only one around here at the moment. Doesn't make any sense to me. I feel if I left it until tomorrow I wouldn't do it, and as i'm writing this I feel like I should be embarrassed and hope to never see it again.
                                                >
                                                > http://blip.tv/file/4355814
                                                >
                                                > Baby steps.... I really hope I haven't peaked with this :)
                                                >
                                                > Thanks all,
                                                > Krys
                                                >
                                                > p.s. taking Heath's advice, can you understand me ok? (accent-wise)
                                                >
                                                > ---------------------------
                                                > http://porbeaglehut.com
                                                > http://qemic.com
                                                > http://twitter.com/kmog
                                                > ---------------------------
                                                >
                                                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "krystianmorgan" <krys@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi all,
                                                > >
                                                > > Ok, so here's a little curiosity I have and was wondering If you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences on the thought.
                                                > >
                                                > > The majority of video-bloggers, and alot of my favourites feature themselves in their videos, talking to the audience directly about their day, about their thoughts or whatever. Do you think this is a personality trait, in the sense that you are just born comfortable to be in front of the camera, that you guys (or girls) have never had issues with it?
                                                > >
                                                > > This is something that's been plaguing me for a little while. The people that know me here, know that I love video, watching and making and if you've ever been to one of my site's you've probably noticed that you've never actually seen me and I'm always behind the camera (or computer).
                                                > >
                                                > > I ask because it's something I'd like to get comfortable with. I'd like to have the ability to create a 'talking head' video series for my new site. A few of my reservations are: I have a slight accent (Welsh) which I myself often have trouble listening to others on the news ;) and just generally not coming across like I am uncomfortable doing it.
                                                > >
                                                > > Has anyone gone through this? Did you start out like this and got better? Do you have any advice?
                                                > >
                                                > > Thanks,
                                                > > Krystian

                                                > > PorbeagleHut.com (New film site for the 'talking head' videos)
                                                > > Qemic.com (My motion graphics and short films blog)
                                                > > @kmog
                                                > > @porbeaglefilm
                                                > > krys[at]kmogvideo.net

                                              • Heath
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 9, 2010
                                                  I too often think along the lines of just talking to a person when I vlog, especcially the very personal ones. And I do often think of a beginning, middle and end...I don't want it to sound like I am staging something, cause I'm not, it's just I try to create a "condensed" conversation, I often go over in my head a few times what I want to say and I even think about "how" to say it.

                                                  But these were all things I came to after much and many boring and crazy videos (also remember, you always think you are more boring than you really are, you will always be your worst critic) It's a process

                                                  For me a lot of times I use those video's to capture a moment in time, to tell a story that has meaning to me, to let you see behind the curtain so to speak....

                                                  And much like Rupert, I am have to get back to work now before I get in trouble...lol

                                                  Be yourself!

                                                  Heath
                                                  http://heathparks.com/blog

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 9, 2010
                                                    A video response to your video response
                                                    _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AqWo1XaGYs_
                                                    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AqWo1XaGYs)

                                                    Kate Copsey
                                                    Freelance Garden Writer;
                                                    www.katecopsey.com
                                                    Host: America's Home Grown Veggies Show on
                                                    _www.americaswebradio.com

                                                    www.icenrye.com

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 9, 2010
                                                      Kate. You looked great! You were yourself and that's the most important thing when it comes to bring in front of the camera.
                                                      I have a couple more small tips, but like a few other people, I have to get back to my work thing.
                                                      Cheers!
                                                      Shel.

                                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                                    • adammercado@att.net
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 9, 2010
                                                        Personally I find it easier to talk to the camera than to real live people. The camera doesnt interrupt or try to upstage or embarrass you. And you get to retake the shot if you flub.

                                                        When I first started doing this thing we call videoblogging, it was purely to keep in touch with family 5000 miles away and document the growth of my son. I didnt know you lot even existed. I was talking to family members through the camera. Then it turns out videoblogging was a 'thing' and it had form, style and a community. So rightly or wrongly I tried to adapt to fit in. And that was the worse thing to do. I still dont know if what I do is me being myself or me trying to emulate something I imagine is expected.

                                                        Most of my stuff is still largely family oriented but I do less 'head shot' type material these days. They were never very successful or popular so I keep the camera elsewhere. However in response to this thread maybe I'll do a week of 'head shot' stuff for vlomo.