Re: [videoblogging] Blip Not Playing

  • Sheldon Pineo
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
      On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 5:58 PM, David Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:
      > Oops, I see you are on Youtube too.
      > New question, any particular reason you are using Blip and Youtube?
      >
      > Dave.

      I use Blip to distribute my .mp4 file thru iTunes. The streaming
      ability of Blip is an added bonus. Also, I prefer the customizable
      players that Blip has compared to YouTube. And until YouTube's recent
      updates, their quality far better.
      I have a Pro account with Blip and that allows me to upload something
      and not make it public until a set time. Useful for releasing
      episodes when I'm on the road.

      As for YouTube, it gets more traffic. People go there look up
      geocaching and find my show. From there, if they like it, they end up
      subscribing with a podcatcher. I almost quit YouTube when they put
      the 10 minute rule in effect, but my account was grandfathered and I
      was allowed to upload longer videos.

      Besides these two services, I also use the Internet Archive. I use IA
      to host my high def H264 and DivX versions along with my wmv version
      and a backup version of the iTunes file.

      Shel.
    • Adam Mercado
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 4, 2010
        I had noticed this with my experimentation in HTML 5 and h264. One
        nice thing about Flash was progressive download. I haven't been able
        to figure out if mp4 will progressively download yet. Any one have
        some insight?

        Adam Mercado
        Influxx Media Production

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 4, 2010
          > I had noticed this with my experimentation in HTML 5 and h264. One
          > nice thing about Flash was progressive download. I haven't been able
          > to figure out if mp4 will progressively download yet. Any one have
          > some insight?

          The mp4 should progressively download Do you have an example where
          it's not doing this for you?

          jay

        • adammercado@att.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
            No I took my tests off my server, but I can reinvestigate.

            So, does MP4 inherently progressively download. When exporting QuickTime wrapped movies there is an explicit option to turn on progressive download. There is no option for this in any of the encoding softwares I use for MP4.

            Thanks Jay....

            > > I had noticed this with my experimentation in HTML 5 and h264. One
            > > nice thing about Flash was progressive download. I haven't been able
            > > to figure out if mp4 will progressively download yet. Any one have
            > > some insight?
            >
            > The mp4 should progressively download Do you have an example where
            > it's not doing this for you?
            >
            > jay
            >
            > --
            > 917 371 6790
            > 540 860 0673

          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
              this is an option under export in QT pro for H.264, and for any export on
              the mac that uses the QT engine. On a PC no idea but definitely progressive
              download is part of the H.264 spec.

              an appropriate closing
              Adrian Miles
              School of Media and Communication
              Program Director B.Comm Honours
              vogmae.net.au

              On 6 November 2010 03:39, adammercado@... <adammercado@...> wrote:

              > So, does MP4 inherently progressively download. When exporting QuickTime
              > wrapped movies there is an explicit option to turn on progressive download.
              > There is no option for this in any of the encoding softwares I use for MP4.

            • David Jones
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 2:39 AM, adammercado@... <adammercado@...>wrote:

                > No I took my tests off my server, but I can reinvestigate.
                >
                > So, does MP4 inherently progressively download. When exporting QuickTime
                > wrapped movies there is an explicit option to turn on progressive download.
                > There is no option for this in any of the encoding softwares I use for MP4.

                Handbrake has an option called "Web Optimised", I believe that means
                progressive download.
                I only enable this on my iTunes/Podcast videos, and not the videos I upload
                to Youtube.

                Dave.

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                  > So, does MP4 inherently progressively download. When exporting QuickTime wrapped movies there is an explicit option to turn on >progressive download. There is no option for this in any of the encoding softwares I use for MP4.

                  Remember when we had this issue several years ago before Flash was so
                  dominant? Seemed people watching QT on PC's had some bug where the
                  video MUST be downloaded fully till it plays. It felt like the video
                  was broken because it gave no progress bar.

                  As fas as working on macs, I thunk youd have to go out of your way to
                  make an mp4 that didnt progressively download. What encoding software
                  are you using? Again, upload some tests and we can try them out.

                • Rupert Howe
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                    Yeah, there should always be a Streaming or Hinted For Streaming
                    option/tab/section in any MP4 encoder. Perhaps it's hidden away? What are
                    you using?
                    Rupert
                    http://twittervlog.tv

                    On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                    > > So, does MP4 inherently progressively download. When exporting QuickTime
                    > wrapped movies there is an explicit option to turn on >progressive download.
                    > There is no option for this in any of the encoding softwares I use for MP4.
                    >
                    > Remember when we had this issue several years ago before Flash was so
                    > dominant? Seemed people watching QT on PC's had some bug where the
                    > video MUST be downloaded fully till it plays. It felt like the video
                    > was broken because it gave no progress bar.
                    >
                    > As fas as working on macs, I thunk youd have to go out of your way to
                    > make an mp4 that didnt progressively download. What encoding software
                    > are you using? Again, upload some tests and we can try them out.

                    > 917 371 6790
                    > 540 860 0673

                  • Adrian Miles
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                      geeky technical correction. :-)

                      a hint track is something else. That is what you need to attach to a video
                      track for RTSP and is a bad idea for progressive download, mainly because it
                      is about as much use as a square wheel (it is literally not used for
                      anything over http), and secondly it adds to your file size and so download
                      requirements. QuickTime calls progressive download 'fast start', which means
                      some key file info is stuck at the head of the file and sent first and this
                      is what lets the file start playing before all the data has arrived.

                      On 6 November 2010 12:16, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

                      > Yeah, there should always be a Streaming or Hinted For Streaming
                      > option/tab/section in any MP4 encoder. Perhaps it's hidden away? What are
                      > you using?

                    • Rupert Howe
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2010
                        Yes, sorry, should've been clearer - was late, and was going to follow up
                        when knowing what software he was using.

                        But for progressive download, I think, you need the Streaming & Hinted For
                        Streaming options to be turned off?

                        Adrian's right - with Quicktime movs, it's easy, you can just check Fast
                        Start. But I think Adam's question was about mp4 files for h264 video?

                        I think a lot of compression software checks Streaming options in their
                        presets - do they assume the files will be delivered from streaming server
                        or locally?

                        Having said all that, I have a lot of phone generated mp4s from my Nokias
                        which don't progressively download in the browser when you click on the file
                        link to open it in a window by itself. Never bothered to go into settings
                        and look to see how they're set up.

                        Follow up question - will html5 video tag play mov files if they're in the
                        right codec (h264 or ogg as appropriate) - I thought it wouldn't.

                        Not sure that this post is helping to clarify anything, but am being shouted
                        at to go to the park. Chaos, fear and confusion - my work here is done.

                        Rupert
                        http://twittervlog.tv

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 6, 2010
                          > Follow up question - will html5 video tag play mov files if they're in the
                          > right codec (h264 or ogg as appropriate) - I thought it wouldn't.

                          Good question. I think it depends on what browser is reading the
                          html5. Anyone has specifics?

                          jay