Blip.tv - no longer FLV, now M4V?

  • mikemoon_ca
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2010
      I haven't uploaded a video since last week. Has Blip.tv made some changes?
      Normally I would upload my .MOV and Blip also adds an FLV conversion.
      Today they made a conversion of my MOV file into M4V format.

      I use the FLV and MOV files on my site for greater compatibility.
      I use VideoPress and not the Blip player because of the archiving capabilities of VP.

      Now what? Do I really have to create my own FLV file?

      Mike
      http://MikeMoon.ca
    • Charles Hope

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2010
          I agree that the quality is better.
          See, I use VideoPress... but I guess I'll just use the Blip player instead.
          I can fill in the thumbnail option so it shows separately for the archives.

          Okay, all's good.

          Mike
          http://MikeMoon.ca

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 2010
            > I agree that the quality is better.
            > See, I use VideoPress... but I guess I'll just use the Blip player instead.
            > I can fill in the thumbnail option so it shows separately for the archives.

            Hey Mike--

            You can put a Flash player on your server that will play H264 videos.
            People will not know (or care) that they are watching a flash or H264
            compression. All that matters is they play it within the Flash player
            since everyone has flash installed.

            I think Verdi did a tutorial. I've cc'd him on this message.

          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25, 2010
              > You can put a Flash player on your server that will play H264 videos.
              > People will not know (or care) that they are watching a flash or H264
              > compression. All that matters is they play it within the Flash player
              > since everyone has flash installed.

              The iPad folks don't.

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org
            • elbowsofdeath
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2010
                On a related note, Mefeedia think that 54% of h.264 video is now available via HTML5, which is good news for mobile devices that dont have flash.

                http://blog.mefeedia.com/html5-oct-2010

                Blip.tv started supporting HTML5 in a big way this month.

                Cheers

                Steve Elbows