looking for camera recommendations

  • David Lee King
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2010
      It's getting close to time for me to retire my old Sanyo Xacti HD1A. It's
      actually been freezing up once in awhile - nothing a sharp little "bump"
      with my fist won't fix at the moment, but ya know ...

      The Xacti served me well, but now I have an iPhone and a tiny digital camera
      that takes great "I want to video NOW" videos. I've been using the Xacti
      lately for more work-related stuff, and find it a bit lacking in certain
      areas:

      - sometimes need a longer battery life, and the Xacti can't be plugged
      into the wall AND be on a tripod at the same time
      - sometimes need a better mic. The Xacti does have an external mic jack,
      but it doesn't work great, and I can't monitor it

      So - what would y'all recommend? Stuff I want it to do:

      - HD video
      - external mic and headphone jacks
      - ability to use as a webcam (for Ustream.tv, etc)
      - record to SD card

      I know some newer Canon video cameras meet my criteria... Anyone use them?
      Other suggestions welcome!

      David Lee King
      davidleeking.com - blog
      davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
      twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:

        > It's getting close to time for me to retire my old Sanyo Xacti HD1A. It's
        > actually been freezing up once in awhile - nothing a sharp little "bump"
        > with my fist won't fix at the moment, but ya know ...
        >
        > The Xacti served me well, but now I have an iPhone and a tiny digital camera
        > that takes great "I want to video NOW" videos. I've been using the Xacti
        > lately for more work-related stuff, and find it a bit lacking in certain
        > areas:
        >
        > - sometimes need a longer battery life, and the Xacti can't be plugged
        > into the wall AND be on a tripod at the same time
        > - sometimes need a better mic. The Xacti does have an external mic jack,
        > but it doesn't work great, and I can't monitor it
        >
        > So - what would y'all recommend? Stuff I want it to do:
        >
        > - HD video
        > - external mic and headphone jacks
        > - ability to use as a webcam (for Ustream.tv, etc)
        > - record to SD card
        >
        > I know some newer Canon video cameras meet my criteria... Anyone use them?
        > Other suggestions welcome!
        >
        > David Lee King
        > davidleeking.com - blog
        > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
        > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

        Many of us use Sanyo Xacti HD-1010 or the newer HD-2000.
        Meets all your requirements except the webcam feature which sucks
        because you a) have to use the dock, b) has a terrible narrow field of
        view (it's useless on my lab when I sit 2m away from it), and c) have
        to mains power it

        Much better to use a proper USB webcam for Ustream. I have the
        Logitech C905 and it has excellent optics and a wide field of view,
        and can be had fairly cheaply.

        Dave.
      • Andrew Darlow
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2010
          Hi Dave:

          Although I use it more for stills than video at this time, I would consider the new Canon T2i. Amazing video quality and incredible low light performance-just boost the ISO to 800 or 1000 and shoot with a 50mm f1.8 lens (less than $100). A wide angle lens like the $300 kit lens (18-135mm) allows for a great range.

          The main disadvantage is that autofocus won't work while in video mode so it needs to be used like a movie camera. It's also not as easy to stabilize. Also, 1080p will take up about 16gb in about 30 min according to this excellent article:

          http://www.starksilvercreek.com/2010/06/canon-t2i-dslr-5-tips-for-shooting-video.html

          I would definitely consider either the Canon BG-E8 battery grip (about $160) or Zeikos ZE-CBGT2 battery grip (about $85) - unless the extra weight and "volume" are not something you like. They are both well-made, and the lithium ion battery can be used with just one of the 2 lithium-ion battery slots or 6 AA batteries. I personally have been using the Zeikos product with no problems at all.

          It can use the new SDXC cards in it as well. Max clip length will vary as well, so that's a consideration for events that require continuous shooting.

          Re: monitoring the video out

          Hope that helps,

          All the best,

          Andrew

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14, 2010
            Hi Dave:

            I just realized a forgot to mention this: Re: monitoring the video out, the Juiced Link DT454 product gets good reviews, or you can consider one of many shotgun mics that are available and just do a quick audio test before shooting.

            This is a great video that shows some video tests:

            http://vimeo.com/10622705

            and this is interesting as well (firmware that adds on-screen audio meters):

            http://vimeo.com/13793063

            and this is interesting too:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnQAd23wFes&NR=1

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 14, 2010
              On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM, David Lee King <davidleeking@...> wrote:

              > It's getting close to time for me to retire my old Sanyo Xacti HD1A. It's
              > actually been freezing up once in awhile - nothing a sharp little "bump"
              > with my fist won't fix at the moment, but ya know ...
              >
              > The Xacti served me well, but now I have an iPhone and a tiny digital camera
              > that takes great "I want to video NOW" videos. I've been using the Xacti
              > lately for more work-related stuff, and find it a bit lacking in certain
              > areas:
              >
              > - sometimes need a longer battery life, and the Xacti can't be plugged
              > into the wall AND be on a tripod at the same time
              > - sometimes need a better mic. The Xacti does have an external mic jack,
              > but it doesn't work great, and I can't monitor it
              >
              > So - what would y'all recommend? Stuff I want it to do:
              >
              > - HD video
              > - external mic and headphone jacks
              > - ability to use as a webcam (for Ustream.tv, etc)
              > - record to SD card
              >
              > I know some newer Canon video cameras meet my criteria... Anyone use them?
              > Other suggestions welcome!
              >
              > David Lee King
              > davidleeking.com - blog
              > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
              > twitter | skype: davidleeking <http://www.twitter.com/davidleeking>

              For external mic I use the Rode VideoMic, an excellent performer and
              well priced, made in Australia.

              The new Zoom H1 has just come out and looks to be awesome value at
              $99. Can use as external mic, standalone, USB mic etc, very versatile.

              Dave.
            • David Lee King
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 16, 2010
                Hey guys - thanks for some great camera recommendations! I hadn't thought
                about the DSLR option, but looks interesting. I'll need to look into that
                some more.