From 320x240 to 3DHD Consumer Camcorders

  • compumavengal
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2010
      It has been a while. I just posted about the $199 HD 3D 720p Camcorder Anyway, this isn't about that camcorder. It is about the journey and wanting to mark a transition point.

      Long before I joined the group folks were trying to figure out how to transfer VHS and later digital tape to display on the Internet. There were no blogs as such that supported video content. Not to mention 56k bandwidth limitations.

      I remember going to tech sites to try to figure out how to embed video only to see obscure instructions on how to properly format the embed and object codes that were compatible with Netscape and IE 3.0

      I didn't have the tech or programing background to understand. It wasn't easy to ask questions in public without some low hanging fruit angrily telling you to read the non-existent f'ing manual.

      Later people figured out how to upload and display 320x240 videos. A bit later pocket and web based camcorders became plentiful. Cable/DSL in some regions became affordable. Then 640x480, 640x360, and 720p,
      1080p, 4K and on up it goes.

      In this group we have argued about technology, content, making money, freedom, appropriate use, police, copyright and copyleft. There have been debates, heated words and a laugh or two.

      Times are changing yet again.

      Apple TV and Google TV are trying to lock in viewers once again into a single destination viewing experience. The content owners and producers are rattling their bones not sure which way to go.

      Still there is a place for user generated content. We might have to continue to fight for that place but we are needed, hobbyists, pro-am and professionals.

      I just wanted to say thanks to the creators, originators and friends who made it easier to get a grip on all of this stuff. I wanted to take a moment to remember where we came from and think about the journey to come.

      Gena
      http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
      http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com
    • hollowbonefilms
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2010
        It is amazing, and I hope that we can all find easier and easier ways to show our work, and to play others. Maybe someday we can all make some money for ourselves - and not just for the Googles, Vimeos, and blips and such.
        A great journey.
        Milt