Re: [videoblogging] Re: HTML5 Webinar tomorrow

  • Joly MacFie
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 26, 2010
      It uses iframe to do the html5, like this plug in.. but doesn't youtube also
      auto-adapt to client?

      http://www.clickonf5.org/internet/iframe-and-flash-embed-code-supporting-html5-for-youtube-compared/8517

      On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM, elbowsofdeath <steve@...> wrote:

      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Great news! Vimeo came out with a universal player for embeds.
      >
      > > So what did Vimeo to allow this? Im confused why everyone (youtube.
      > > blip, etc) doesnt have players and codecs that work everywhere. Whats
      > > the secret sauce?
      > >
      > > Jay
      >
      > Right now, considering the much discussed issues with what video format
      > different browsers are supporting in conjunction with HTML5 video tags, they
      > are doing what some other sites are doing, namely serving a h264 video
      > either wrapped in flash or not, depending on the browser. You can certainly
      > encode a h264 file with certain settings and have it play on most devices,
      > although some services may choose to encode multiple different versions for
      > certain mobile devices, high def etc. Either way most of the magic is in
      > having the embedded code for their videos look at your browsers
      > capabilities, and then decide whether to embed a flash player or use a
      > native browser/html5 method.
      >
      > As to why not all of the video sites are doing this yet, it will either be
      > because they havent had the engineering resources to do it yet, or they have
      > been waiting to see what happens with the likes of WebM (although thats not
      > a great reason to delay this stuff especially as things like the iPad have
      > sold quite well), or they havent seen that much demand/have had higher
      > priorities, or their existing flash player offers features that they cant do
      > in html5 yet and they dont feel they should offer a player with less
      > features. The last point has extra weight if they are struggling to get
      > their advert platform working with a non-flash player, as they wont be to
      > keen to lose revenue generation. I expect most sites will get there
      > eventually.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Steve

    • elbowsofdeath
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 27, 2010
        Yes youtube now has some auto-adaption so long as people use the right code to embed youtube videos.

        Cheers

        Steve