Re: HTML5 Webinar tomorrow

  • stanhirson
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18, 2010
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "stanhirson" <shirson@...> wrote:

      > To use this with mobile phones you need to be a Plus member.

      Correction: To have Vimeo automatically convert a video for a mobile player you need to be a Plus member. Anyone can see the embed on a mobile phone.

      Stan

      Stan Hirson
      http://PinePlainsViews.com
      http://Hestakaup.com
      http://ThinkingGlobalActingLocal.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 18, 2010
        > Great news! Vimeo came out with a universal player for embeds. Only one video is needed to be sent up and it works with mobile, etc. I tested an embed with an existing video and it plays on my iPod Touch, iPad, and my MacBook. Their announcement: http://vimeo.com/blog:334
        > I posted a test on Posterous with the embed code. Feel free to try this out:
        > http://stanhirson.posterous.com/pages/new-embed-from-vimeo-will-it-work

        So what did Vimeo to allow this? Im confused why everyone (youtube.
        blip, etc) doesnt have players and codecs that work everywhere. Whats
        the secret sauce?

        http://ryanishungry.com
        917 371 6790
      • Michael Verdi
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 18, 2010
          On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Michael Verdi <michael@...> wrote:
          > > Well this isn't perfect but it's much better than it's been in the past.
          > > Here's what I've been using lately on michaelverdi.com:
          > > <video width="480" height="270" controls preload="none" poster="IMGURL">
          > > <source src="MP4URL" type="video/mp4">
          > > <source src="OGGURL" type="video/ogg">
          > > <embed src="BLIPPLAYERURL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480"
          > > height="300" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>
          > > </video>
          >
          > Have you documented obvious problems on certain browsers?

          I haven't. If you make your mp4 file ipod compatible this will work on
          Safari 4+, Firefox 3.5+, Opera 10, iPhone/iPod Touch, and IE 6+ with
          flash installed (probably like 90 something percent of general
          internet users and 99.99% of people trying to watch video on the
          internet).

          - Verdi
        • elbowsofdeath
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 26, 2010

            > > Great news! Vimeo came out with a universal player for embeds.

            > So what did Vimeo to allow this? Im confused why everyone (youtube.
            > blip, etc) doesnt have players and codecs that work everywhere. Whats
            > the secret sauce?
            >
            > Jay

            Right now, considering the much discussed issues with what video format different browsers are supporting in conjunction with HTML5 video tags, they are doing what some other sites are doing, namely serving a h264 video either wrapped in flash or not, depending on the browser. You can certainly encode a h264 file with certain settings and have it play on most devices, although some services may choose to encode multiple different versions for certain mobile devices, high def etc. Either way most of the magic is in having the embedded code for their videos look at your browsers capabilities, and then decide whether to embed a flash player or use a native browser/html5 method.

            As to why not all of the video sites are doing this yet, it will either be because they havent had the engineering resources to do it yet, or they have been waiting to see what happens with the likes of WebM (although thats not a great reason to delay this stuff especially as things like the iPad have sold quite well), or they havent seen that much demand/have had higher priorities, or their existing flash player offers features that they cant do in html5 yet and they dont feel they should offer a player with less features. The last point has extra weight if they are struggling to get their advert platform working with a non-flash player, as they wont be to keen to lose revenue generation. I expect most sites will get there eventually.

            Cheers

            Steve
          • Joly MacFie
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 26, 2010
              It uses iframe to do the html5, like this plug in.. but doesn't youtube also
              auto-adapt to client?

              http://www.clickonf5.org/internet/iframe-and-flash-embed-code-supporting-html5-for-youtube-compared/8517

              On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM, elbowsofdeath <steve@...> wrote:

              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Great news! Vimeo came out with a universal player for embeds.
              >
              > > So what did Vimeo to allow this? Im confused why everyone (youtube.
              > > blip, etc) doesnt have players and codecs that work everywhere. Whats
              > > the secret sauce?
              > >
              > > Jay
              >
              > Right now, considering the much discussed issues with what video format
              > different browsers are supporting in conjunction with HTML5 video tags, they
              > are doing what some other sites are doing, namely serving a h264 video
              > either wrapped in flash or not, depending on the browser. You can certainly
              > encode a h264 file with certain settings and have it play on most devices,
              > although some services may choose to encode multiple different versions for
              > certain mobile devices, high def etc. Either way most of the magic is in
              > having the embedded code for their videos look at your browsers
              > capabilities, and then decide whether to embed a flash player or use a
              > native browser/html5 method.
              >
              > As to why not all of the video sites are doing this yet, it will either be
              > because they havent had the engineering resources to do it yet, or they have
              > been waiting to see what happens with the likes of WebM (although thats not
              > a great reason to delay this stuff especially as things like the iPad have
              > sold quite well), or they havent seen that much demand/have had higher
              > priorities, or their existing flash player offers features that they cant do
              > in html5 yet and they dont feel they should offer a player with less
              > features. The last point has extra weight if they are struggling to get
              > their advert platform working with a non-flash player, as they wont be to
              > keen to lose revenue generation. I expect most sites will get there
              > eventually.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Steve

            • elbowsofdeath
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 27, 2010
                Yes youtube now has some auto-adaption so long as people use the right code to embed youtube videos.

                Cheers

                Steve