Zoom H1 Mic

  • David Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 22 9:24 PM
      Anyone use one of these Zoom mics on their camera?

      The new H1 looks like great value at $99 and very versatile:
      http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/index.php

      I could see it being used a top camera shotgun mic, a remote recorder
      to replace a wireless mic system, corded interview mic etc

      I saw a Zoom H4n in use in a doco I was involved with the other day
      using a Canon 5D MkII. Some behind the scenes footage:
      http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/23/canon-5d-mark-ii-hd-video-documentary-behind-the-scenes/

      Dave.
    • Rupert Howe
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 23 1:33 AM
        I have a Zoom H4N, and so do a few people I know, and it's awesome.
        As a mic in itself, it's great - I've used it handheld and mounted it
        to the top of my 5D. But I use it more often as a recorder with XLR
        mics. Very easy to control and has lots of features.

        I've been meaning to mention Pluraleyes here - it's a bit of software
        that syncs your external audio files and your camera video/audio files
        automatically, without the need for clappers or timecode. Saves
        HOURS. Works with Final Cut Pro, Premiere and Vegas. It analyses the
        camera audio file and the external recorder file and matches the
        waveforms. Magic.

        Rupert
        http://twittervlog.tv

        On 23 Jul 2010, at 05:24, David Jones wrote:

        > Anyone use one of these Zoom mics on their camera?
        >
        > The new H1 looks like great value at $99 and very versatile:
        > http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/index.php
        >
        > I could see it being used a top camera shotgun mic, a remote recorder
        > to replace a wireless mic system, corded interview mic etc
        >
        > I saw a Zoom H4n in use in a doco I was involved with the other day
        > using a Canon 5D MkII. Some behind the scenes footage:
        > http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/23/canon-5d-mark-ii-hd-video-documentary-behind-the-scenes/
        >
        > Dave.

      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 23 2:34 AM
          Let's be clear: the H1, although it might mount on a camera, has no mic
          level out suitable to plug in to your cam's mic input. Audio will have to be
          synced separately.

          The H2, with it's 4 mics, and it's directional/surround sound capability,
          placed in close proximity ro the subject (I have on more than one occasion
          just asked the subject to hold it while talking) is an excellent option.

          I did try Pluraleyes and it just mangled my project - I've gone back to hand
          :)

          On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

          > I have a Zoom H4N, and so do a few people I know, and it's awesome.
          > As a mic in itself, it's great - I've used it handheld and mounted it
          > to the top of my 5D. But I use it more often as a recorder with XLR
          > mics. Very easy to control and has lots of features.
          >
          > I've been meaning to mention Pluraleyes here - it's a bit of software
          > that syncs your external audio files and your camera video/audio files
          > automatically, without the need for clappers or timecode. Saves
          > HOURS. Works with Final Cut Pro, Premiere and Vegas. It analyses the
          > camera audio file and the external recorder file and matches the
          > waveforms. Magic.
          >
          > Rupert
          > http://twittervlog.tv
          >

          > On 23 Jul 2010, at 05:24, David Jones wrote:
          >
          > > Anyone use one of these Zoom mics on their camera?
          > >
          > > The new H1 looks like great value at $99 and very versatile:
          > > http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/index.php
          > >
          > > I could see it being used a top camera shotgun mic, a remote recorder
          > > to replace a wireless mic system, corded interview mic etc
          > >
          > > I saw a Zoom H4n in use in a doco I was involved with the other day
          > > using a Canon 5D MkII. Some behind the scenes footage:
          > >
          > http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/23/canon-5d-mark-ii-hd-video-documentary-behind-the-scenes/
          > >
          > > Dave.

        • Rupert Howe
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 23 2:45 AM
            Sorry it borked for you, but I do know a *lot* of people IRL & online
            using Pluraleyes, and it does work really well. And once you get it
            working, it makes a massive difference. You say it mangled your
            project - I sync right at the start of the project, before cutting
            anything - get all the clips synced up, link them & then start cutting.

            Rupert
            http://twittervlog.tv

          • ktcopsey@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 23 2:46 AM
              Dave
              I have a Sony video camera and found the sound was great for overall, but
              not that good for one-on-one interviews in the outdoors. I bought the Sony
              zoom mic and it made a major difference in the clarity of the speech. Mine
              sits on top of the camera in the same slot as the flash bulb, and it will
              compensate for zoom as well - I haven't tried that feature yet.

              Kate Copsey
              Garden Writer
              _www.katecopsey.com_ (http://www.katecopsey.com/)
              _www.americaswebradio.com_ (http://www.radiosandysprings.com/)
              blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com

              _ (http://www.katesgardenblog.com/)
              _http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/index.php_ (http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/index.php) _

              I could see it being used a top camera shotgun mic, a remote recorder
              to replace a wireless mic system, corded interview mic etc

              I saw a Zoom H4n in use in a doco I was involved with the other day
              using a Canon 5D MkII. Some behind the scenes footage:
              _ (http://www.katesgardenblog.com/)
              _http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/23/canon-5d-mark-ii-hd-video-documentary-behind-the-scenes/_
              (http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/23/canon-5d-mark-ii-hd-video-documentary-behind-the-scenes/) _

              Dave.
              _ (http://www.katesgardenblog.com/)

            • Richard Amirault
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 23 5:19 AM
                From: "David Jones"

                > Anyone use one of these Zoom mics on their camera?
                >
                > The new H1 looks like great value at $99 and very versatile:
                > http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/index.php

                The Zoom H1 is not yet available in the US. Original release was to be in
                July, but now Amazon says "This item will be released on August 20, 2010"

                Richard Amirault
                Boston, MA, USA
                http://n1jdu.org
                http://bostonfandom.org
              • Richard Amirault
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 23 5:22 AM
                  From: "Rupert Howe"

                  (snip)
                  > I've been meaning to mention Pluraleyes here - it's a bit of software
                  > that syncs your external audio files and your camera video/audio files
                  > automatically, without the need for clappers or timecode. Saves
                  > HOURS.

                  I've tried it and it is nice, but saving "HOURS"?? .. not for me. I usually
                  run a Edirol R-09 or a Zoom H2 for better sound, and it's not that hard to
                  sync it up with the video. Only takes a few minutes.

                  Richard Amirault
                  Boston, MA, USA
                  http://n1jdu.org
                  http://bostonfandom.org
                • Rupert Howe
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 23 5:54 AM
                    Yes, I meant aggregated over time, cutting lots of sync clips daily,
                    and also just in allowing you to be a bit freer from clap & timecode
                    contstraints when shooting doc stuff on the fly. So it frees you up
                    and gives you a bit of time in the shoot, as well as obviously saving
                    time and boredom in the edit.

                    Rupert
                    http://twittervlog.tv

                    On 23 Jul 2010, at 13:22, Richard Amirault wrote:

> [...]

                  • David Jones
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 23 11:22 PM
                      On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

                      > Let's be clear: the H1, although it might mount on a camera, has no mic
                      > level out suitable to plug in to your cam's mic input. Audio will have to be
                      > synced separately.

                      It's got a combined line level / headphone output which should be
                      suitable for most camcorder mic inputs that take externally powered
                      mics like the Rode Videomic.
                      If your camcorder has only a low level powered eletret mic elelemt
                      input, then yes, presumably it would not be suitable.

                      Dave.